• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ear Defenders in Public

randomasd

I have finally got my first set of ear defenders and love them. I use these along side my Sony WH1000xM3 ANC headphones. I find the defenders bliss to wear and very helpful in places that are to noisy for the headphones to cope.

I do have one problem. I feel VERY uncomfortable wearing them in public. Does anyone have any tips from experience. Maybe i could attach a headphone cable to them to disguise them?

Thanks all

Is either of those useful for silencing TV and live voices in the next room? I know ANC headphones are usually considered best for low frequencies, like airplane engines, but I want to simulate having the house to myself.

I think running a wire to them would be a perfect thing to do. Great idea. Then run the wire down the back of your collar and they'll think you have it attached to music. I actually used to wear small headphones attached to Walkman at work, running inside my jacket. I kept the volume low enough that I could still hear what I needed to hear, but helped tone it down and when a patient got to talking too much, well, you know. lol But my boss used to sneak up behind and whisper my name - testing me - and I'd respond, yea?

Honestly, most people dont care as much as you'd think they do. We all have a tendency to think that people are going to see us as weird if we do certain things, but the reality is that most dont particularly care. Some might think "huh, that's a little odd" before immediately forgetting and moving on.

I've a bit of an unusual appearance for a male, and carry around a gigantic keychain that's usually wrapped around my arm, and originally I was self-conscious about all that, but eventually I learned that while people might notice, they wont do anything beyond that or think much of it. Well, occaisionally someone comments on the chain, but it's usually a positive comment.

I have several times worn ear defenders in public I just matched it with my style:p

though not everyone found it acceptable ...

i am eccentric and nobody can spit apart that randomness away from me
trust me even I tried at one time or another
but It just wouldn't be me
now I just have my Bluetooth headphones..

but I'm thinking of carrying my ear defenders along in place that i t would seem rude to put on regular headphones…

if i can ever find them again

on a serious note i wouldn't care what people think or use all my energy on trying to hide it

it can cause serious problems with anxiety and insecurity

I don't think may others will notice anyway or even knowledgeable to acknowledge or know there even is such a thing as using them outside of construction work .

If it helps, wear them in public, no matter what people may think.

I wear them at home when there are certain external noises beyond my control. But personally I wouldn't do anything to make them look like headphones. Frankly if I were to see much of anyone wearing ear defenders in public, the first thing that would come to mind is that they are likely on the spectrum. No harm, no foul.

But all of them pretty much have the same telltale design that gives them away. I mean, much of anyone who uses firearms and wears them at the range, apart from people who work with power tools all day long will spot them in an instant as well. So attaching non-functional wires to them might actually draw unwanted curiosity for some.

Then again I've also used earbuds with ear protectors too. Not as effective as some $300 noise-cancelling headphones, but it does the job for me.

I once put in earplugs as a coworker was talking to me because he was loud and obnoxious. He didn't like it, but it cut the noise down. As long as you can still hear well enough to function, don't worry about it.

New Threads

Top Bottom