• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dyslexia

I've never heard of dyslexia glasses, can you elaborate?

My dyslexia is only mild, but I also have scotopic sensitivity (or Irlen Syndrome) and I did used to use coloured overlays to help with reading - are they similar to this?

Yeah, tinted ones like rose coloured, right? I think blue is supposed to be another good one. I don't have dyslexia (that I know of) but I'm aware of this coping strategy.

if it the same thing as irlen syndrome glasses, i am hoping to assesed for the condition as i believe i have it,it would explain my disintregrated visial processing a lot,being LFA doesnt quite explain it all in terms of my vision.

I've never heard of dyslexia glasses, can you elaborate?

My dyslexia is only mild, but I also have scotopic sensitivity (or Irlen Syndrome) and I did used to use coloured overlays to help with reading - are they similar to this?
Yeah sorry. I should of explained more. Dyslexia glasses are glasses tinted a colour like the overlays to help with visual distortion.

if it the same thing as irlen syndrome glasses, i am hoping to assesed for the condition as i believe i have it,it would explain my disintregrated visial processing a lot, being LFA doesn't quite explain it all in terms of my vision.
Yeah they are. I'm not sure their official name is.

Yeah sorry. I should of explained more. Dyslexia glasses are glasses tinted a colour like the overlays to help with visual distortion.

I looked at the link @The Penguin posted, and it mentioned Irlen Syndrome. They're basically like the overlays I used to have for reading but in a much more helpful glasses form!

I'm totally cursed with dyslexia.
Thank God for auto complete, even Google has no idea what word I ment .

What I will say about vision is .
Word blocks with no gaps ,I can't cope with.

I also see the spaces bettween words as much as the words

I tend to use a set of words I know I can spell .
So frustrating

I'm sorry but i have to intervene here. I am dyslexic, and Dyslexia is a developmental disorder that affects communication (in the forms of reading, writing, and spelling) it is NOT a vision impairment. I will argue about this to death. Maybe those glasses help in other ways, but they will not help with dyslexia. That is a fact.

At the moment I use over lays and coloured paper.

I'm sorry but i have to intervene here. I am dyslexic, and Dyslexia is a developmental disorder that affects communication (in the forms of reading, writing, and spelling) it is NOT a vision impairment. I will argue about this to death. Maybe those glasses help in other ways, but they will not help with dyslexia. That is a fact.

Definitely agree with you Nason!

Someone has already mentioned Irlen Syndrome in this conversation which is likely what ZebraAspie really has. One of my siblings has Irlen Syndrome and they tend to need a yellow overlay more than any other colour to help them see things properly.

Edit: Just to add, the sibling with Irlen Syndrome does not have dyslexia to my knowledge. They are definitely seperate things.

Last edited:
Definitely agree with you Nason!

Someone has already mentioned Irlen Syndrome in this conversation which is likely what ZebraAspie really has. One of my siblings has Irlen Syndrome and they tend to need a yellow overlay more than any other colour to help them see things properly.

Edit: Just to add, the sibling with Irlen Syndrome does not have dyslexia to my knowledge. They are definitely seperate things.
I use dyslexia to refer to ripens since that is what it is a symptom off. Like when I see I can’t be in closed in spaces because i’m autistic when it is the anxiety causing the issue (probably a symptom of my autism). Like anxiety is a symptom of autism, irlens can be a symptom of dyslexia but both anxiety and ripens can be separate conditions.

New Threads

Top Bottom