• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

DVLA Medical Exam - What Do They Test?

neilwalker1970

Hi,

I know the issue of notifying the DVLA has been brought before, but does anyone know exactly what questions the doctor will ask and what tests they do? I assume there is a protocol and it's not just up to individual doctors.

I mean do they ask about what you do in certain situations, do they make you have an eye sight test, blood pressure? Actually it would be useful for everyone for a list of tests to go up as a sticky so people know and can prepare.

This has been a total bureaucratic nightmare from the start. My manager at work (who knows I have Aspergers) told me to tell the DVLA. This was when the DVLA said everyone with Aspergers needed a medical. So I filled the form in.

However, by the time their letter came back the advice on the website had changed so you only notified them if you thought Aspergers affected your driving. I don't think it does, but when I phoned the DVLA they said I still needed to take the medical. So my name is now on their database, and presumably, even if I pass this medical, they can still order another one if something happens.

Thanks

I didn't even have a medical when I told them. They contacted the consultant who diagnosed me, and eventually came back saying there were no issues.

I didn't need a medical and I have a whole slew of other conditions on top of Asperger's. Dunno where they got that from. Either way. Try not to worry about it. As long as you're not doing drugs and you're not drunk on the day, you should be fine.

Last edited:
Hi

Have you seen the info on this on the NAS site? If you have not received something in writing and only have general advice you received on the phone then maybe wait until you have something in writing. You need to notify DVLA if you have a condition that affects your safety to drive. Depending on what you disclosed already that might mean you need a medical or not? There is info on the DVLA site but I don't think there are medical tests as such apart from eyesight. Its more a list of reportable medical conditions. If it were me and all I disclosed was ASD then I would be pushing back on this under the circumstances. If you have a clean driving licence and are healthy I can't see a medical being a problem.

H

Trouble I only found out about the change in advice after I received the DVLA letter back. I phoned them on Friday and asked about getting my name taken off the list. The call centre person put my on hold and presumably spoke to their supervisor and said they could n't do that.

It all sounds very inconsistent. Do you think if I persist enough they will take me off the list?

If you want to protest this then try writing to them. It is possible they may actually do what they originally said and contact each person and destroy any unnecessary forms, if put under pressure. Based on their current form I will not be surprised if this does not happen. This process is based on legal requirements to disclose private medical information so they probably feel happy to go right ahead, who is going argue when the facts of individual cases cannot be publicised. This would seem reasonable if they had not tricked you in to filling out the form. Now you have filled out the form I suppose they feel obliged to process it.

Maybe try posting in the NAS forum or contacting NAS directly they may be able to advise. They are a Govt. sponsored charity so don’t expect anything too radical. If you only just had notification of this then there may be others in the same boat you can talk to? If you can’t get out of it the less you say about yourself or the situation the better, just play it cool. They will be examining your health records looking for issues that affect you now or will in the future, your driving record does not count for much. Good luck.

H

Can’t see it being a problem even if they wont remove your name, I wouldn’t worry. Easier said than done I know. I have medicals for my HGV class 1 license. In my opinion ASD affects my driving in a positive way.

New Threads

Top Bottom