• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

dust or vacuum first

Dust first or vacuum first

• dust first then vacuum

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • vacuum first then dust

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters

Pats

V.I.P Member
change of pace. :) I vacuum first because it blows dust. But I wasn't sure if there is an order you're supposed to follow so I looked it up. Some sites said to dust first because then you vacuum the dust that has fallen onto the floor. Other sites said vacuum first because it stirs up dust that settles back on the furniture.
Does it make a difference where you live? Like if you live somewhere dry and dusty it's more of an issue which you would do first? Or living downstairs, dust seeming to fall more from ceilings? And, definitely having animals during the summer makes a difference. :) Shedding dog hair!!! That's actually what made me ask - either way I still have dog hair floating around, so which is better?
Have fun.

I dust first with furniture polish and a microfibre cloth to remove and collect the dust and then hoover. If I did it the other way around, any larger bits on say, the coffee table, wouldn't get hoovered up after.

Vacuum first, it blows dust around. Then dust. Often use my battery powered vacuum to dust as well.

The routine is: start kitchen chores, run water, put washing on etc. Get a coffee. Clean all the glass stuff like windows and mirrors. More coffee. Tidy and clear surfaces, then dust. After dusting vacuum, after that, dust any surfaces that got dusty again. Then vacuum under them. Go for a coffee. Realise I missed a bit and vacuum again. Finish with a well earned pint. Of coffee.

I've definitely done both at some point, but when they happen once or twice and months or years apart it's hard to remember which came first. :eek:

A good vacuum shouldn’t blow dust everywhere.

I don’t think it really matters for me since I’d use a good hepa filtered vacuum and use a damp cloth (actually I’d vacuum it first or just vacuum it, if I was using a vacuum....I hate carpet and vacuums, though, so if I lived somewhere with only hard floors I might not vacuum at all) to clean dust so the amount that would become airborne would be pretty low, I think.

Last edited:
I live in the desert. It doesn't matter which comes first. Even if I lived in a hermetically sealed abode, dust will find its way into it. :oops:

What's important is to dust about four times for each session of vacuuming.

change of pace. :) I vacuum first because it blows dust. But I wasn't sure if there is an order you're supposed to follow so I looked it up. Some sites said to dust first because then you vacuum the dust that has fallen onto the floor. Other sites said vacuum first because it stirs up dust that settles back on the furniture.
Does it make a difference where you live? Like if you live somewhere dry and dusty it's more of an issue which you would do first? Or living downstairs, dust seeming to fall more from ceilings? And, definitely having animals during the summer makes a difference. :) Shedding dog hair!!! That's actually what made me ask - either way I still have dog hair floating around, so which is better?
Have fun.
Vacuum first. Of course!
Then when one dusts use either a slightly damp cloth or one sprayed with endust.
No dust should be flying around after you dust! That’s why you dust. Vacuuming kicks up dust. So yes, vacuum first then dust effectively after. Then your house is clean!

I say dust first, because it's inevitable that at least some of it will end up on the floor. Then vacuum. If your vacuum just blows the dust back out then there's something wrong with it.

1. Put away things I never got around to putting away.
2. Pick up papers.
2.b. deal with whatever is on the papers, which usually takes a while because there's a reason I let them pile up on all possible surfaces instead of dealing with them in the first place
3. If I still care about cleaning after the papers, vacuum
4. Congratulate myself on a job well done
5. Weeks later, remember that dusting is a thing when I notice I can trace designs in the dust on my tv stand
6. after several rounds of this, actually get around to dusting
(I really need a maid, or maybe just someone to make me deal with all of my papers before they take over every cleaning project)

When I do get around to dusting, a damp cloth is very effective at keeping it off the floor and out of the air. Dog hair, meanwhile, is a fact of life that no cleaning project can control.

I've definitely done both at some point, but when they happen once or twice and months or years apart it's hard to remember which came first. :eek:

Have you tried sn
I live in the desert. It doesn't matter which comes first. Even if I lived in a hermetically sealed abode, dust will find its way into it. :oops:

What's important is to dust about four times for each session of vacuuming.

in a house though right?

Dust first.
Have a microfiber duster for in between cleanings.
And fight the paper pile ups as I can.

I voted 'dust first' but actually I often do both at once. I have attached a feather duster to the end of the vacuum cleaner so I can dust surfaces and suck up the dust at the same time :) It doesn't work so well with heavy, thicker dust, so in that case I would use a damp cloth.

in a house though right?

Where else? Here dust falls everywhere, regardless of heights. Even with nearly all my windows closed much of the time. And a vacuum cleaner is pretty much confined to sucking up dust on the floor. Not everywhere else...which in my case includes needing to periodically dust the top of the ceiling fan blades. I kid you not! :eek:

I walk on the floor. However I don't eat off it, sleep on it, or work on it. So with my allergies, dusting surfaces besides the floor remains a priority compared to using a vacuum cleaner. Truth is, I do a little dusting at some point nearly every day. Otherwise I'd probably sneeze my house down. :oops:

Given my proximity to raw desert and occasionally high winds, opening up a window is usually a very bad idea.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom