1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Duke Professor Says Conservatives and Libertarians Are ‘on the Autistic Spectrum’

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Butterfly88, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Butterfly88

Butterfly88 Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Mia

Mia Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

The difficulty I have with her statement is that it's fallacious, an argument from ignorance.

People who are on the spectrum don't usually/willingly become involved in groups, like a political party, they avoid them. They might vote for the left or the right, but usually don't go into politics.

Her scapegoat disagrees.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Butterfly88

Good point @Mia.

4. Crossbreed

Crossbreed Neur-D Missionary ☝️ V.I.P Member

I've moved a little bit to the left since learning about mine and my family's autism.

5. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

This just reflects how contentious our political climate has become when an academician has decided to use autism to attack the political right and commit professional suicide in the process. So much for coveting political correctness.

No doubt there are autistic people who are registered Republicans, Libertarians and Democrats. However they likely constitute an utterly insignificant portion of these parties demographically speaking. If one is so intent of disparaging their political opposition, you'd think they would use something that constitutes a substantial demographic rather than a neurological distinction of people that constitutes a distinct minority. Even if such a preposterous allegation was scientific fact it would be politically insignificant relative to a very small neurological demographic.

Looks like the history professor needs to take a course in remedial math before professional pollsters chastise her to death. Though from a purely historical perspective I'd love to ask this person if in her mind she is launching her own 21st century Pogrom ? Autistische leuten sind hier unerwünscht ? :eek:

Oh well. Move over Dr. William Shockley. Another fellow academician prepared to soil their reputation has joined your ranks. It happens. There are countless numbers of people in the body politic who oppose the concept of the welfare state to varying degrees. It doesn't make them clinically autistic or sociopathic, it just makes them ideologically conservative.

And now for "University Tenured Professors Gone Wild".

-Next...on Fox. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Crossbreed

Crossbreed Neur-D Missionary ☝️ V.I.P Member

How about left-handedness? (You know how they are...) [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Mr Allen

Mr Allen Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

The Conservatives are on the "Spectrum"?! Well it would explain a lot, except their anti-disabled stance.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Butterfly88

@Judge Yep, she certainly does need remedial math.
    @Crossbreed Probably more left handed people than autistics.
    @Rich Allen More like they are on the conservative spectrum (not that there is a thing) instead of the autism spectrum. As judge says the numbers don't add up.

9. HDLSeanWiley

HDLSeanWiley Follow Uncle Gadget, Brain!

Well, I'm a libertarian on the autism spectrum, so I guess she's right about me at the least.

• Like Like x 1
  10. granolaturtle

granolaturtle Well-Known Member

If she had slandered any other marginalized demographic aside from disabled people it would have been a huge scandal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Nervous Rex

Nervous Rex High-functioning autistic V.I.P Member

So, she expresses disdain for one demographic by using a whole other demographic as an insult.

All this tells me is that there are two groups she doesn't understand and can't be bothered to learn anything about.

Edit: "she", not "he".

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. WildCat

WildCat V.I.P Member

If something doesn't make sense to you and/or you need a quick justification, label it "autistic" and call it a day. That's pretty sound logic there.

I can understand this coming out the mouth of a politician, but a Duke professor? It's obvious she's on the autism spectrum. Nothing else can explain it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Butterfly88

Actually maybe she is an is insecure about herself. They say some homophobic people are secretly gay, maybe this could be the same kind of thing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. granolaturtle

granolaturtle Well-Known Member

Conservative aren't a marginalized demographic. in fact. they hurt a lot of marginalized people.

15. Pariah Dog

Pariah Dog Well-Known Member

"This is simply mainstreaming leftist hate against conservatives and libertarians, this time with a dose of autism slander thrown in for good measure.

People on the left hate anyone with whom they disagree. (“Hate” being the operative word here.) The arguments disappear, the discussions are not allowed, and in their place the void is filled with statements that simply demonize their intellectual opponents.

This is a dangerous way to behave, and it is at the root of the New Fascist Democratic Party."

I would say the author sums it all up pretty well at the end. It is getting kind of scary how extreme the main stream left is becoming. Its hard to imagine the pendulum could swing a lot further, but something like that should not be discounted. I would imagine even on this forum there are many members here who would think of themselves as being on the left wing, but are actually not even close on account of how extreme things have become. And if you disagree with them on any point at all you are a fascist apparently. "Follow our dogma without question, or else!"

16. Tesseract

Tesseract Well-Known Member

Well, you might at first glance think so, until you remember that people who have autism have become "fair game" when it comes to scoring cheap political points. No one cares about those who are "on the spectrum", because the vast majority of people think that we just use it as an excuse to be "rude", honest, impartial, loyal, clear, concise, and all of the other things that modern-day society frowns upon because it's far more acceptable to deceive and live in denial. We are the outsiders, looking in to a world that is seriously dysfunctional, and since we are now living in "The Age of Fear" (as Michael Crichton would put it) they all need a (socially-acceptable, politically correct) group to scapegoat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mia

Mia Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

When I read things of this nature, it often makes me think of the historical nature of scapegoating. Wherein actual goats were innocently chosen during Yom Kippur and somehow carried away the sins of people and were then sacrificed in one way or another.
    Later scapegoats were people, and usually not sacrificed but made to bear the sins of the community symbolically.
    In later times, lepers were scapegoats and eventually the mentally ill. Then anyone that could be blamed who was poor or had little political power became a scapegoat for society's ills.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1