• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Duck Doctor

Fino

Alex
V.I.P Member
images

Here we have a Bufflehead duck. It's latin name sounds funny: Bucephala albeola.

You're the duck doctor. What do you diagnose Mr. Bufflehead with? It could be any number of physical or mental diseases.

I diagnosed Mr. Bufflehead with Social Anxiety Disorder.

But don't worry.

Prognosis: Good duck.

Although I am a certified quack doc, I don't believe in performing online diagnosis :p

Bucephalus was the name of Alexander's horse - means big head. I don't think there's much wrong with that duck.

images

Here we have a Bufflehead duck. It's latin name sounds funny: Bucephala albeola.

You're the duck doctor. What do you diagnose Mr. Bufflehead with? It could be any number of physical or mental diseases.

I diagnosed Mr. Bufflehead with Social Anxiety Disorder.

But don't worry.

Prognosis: Good duck.

Give this duck lots of love so he can be free. He deserves freedom from anxiety.
He needs freedom. I feel for this duck. I don't suffer from this expect on occasion but l know someone who does and l try very carefully to not contribute to it.

What the duck needs is exercise and therapy. I am a duckologist. And a clean pond. Duckie likes piano music. Maybe pipe in piano music for this sweet duck.

A pair of ducks flew above me three days ago, while I was cycling. They looked like mallards and they may have been friends of Bufflehead. They seemed to be heading north to the swamp like area near the river, quacking as they flew.

People drop pieces of baguette near the swamp, and seeds and vegetables for the ducks so I think Bufflehead may be suffering from too many pieces of soggy baguette.

Treatment: A diet of aquatic plants only.

Prognosis: Good, as long as Bufflehead leaves the baguettes alone.

Oh I was just being pedantic.

Bucephalus was the first thing that came to my mind when I read bucephala albeola. IIRC Alexander named his horse that because it had a white blaze on its head that resembled an ox skull, so the name meant "ox-head". But I got that from Fire from Heaven by Mary Renault, so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Bucephalus went on to become a successful country music singer.

Edit: My bad, I got Bucephalus mixed up with Bocephus. I hate it when that happens.

Last edited:
When I was a kid I made up a cartoon duck that was black with white patches around his beak. Later I saw a bunch of duck decoys in one of my dad's hunting magazines, and one of them was a bufflehead. Because it looked like the cartoon duck I created I decided that wast the type he was. You don't often see anthropomorphic ducks in cartoons that similar to an actual wild species.

I have a pet duck named Mr. Quackers. He's very low maintenance. Only requires occasional dusting.

dY842eJ.png

Bucephalus was the first thing that came to my mind when I read bucephala albeola. IIRC Alexander named his horse that because it had a white blaze on its head that resembled an ox skull, so the name meant "ox-head". But I got that from Fire from Heaven by Mary Renault, so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Bucephalus went on to become a successful country music singer.

Edit: My bad, I got Bucephalus mixed up with Bocephus. I hate it when that happens.

I’d thought that Hank Williiams Jrs nickname of ”Bocephus” somehow came from the name of the ancient Jewish historian named “Josephus”
Josephus - Wikipedia

Or maybe the name did come from the name of Alexander the Greats horse. Or maybe it’s a combination of the two names.

So there probably is a connection that both are about the Ancient Greek/Roman world. There must be, people just don’t go around saying Bocephus for no good reason

Last edited:
I’d thought that Hank Williiams Jrs nickname of ”Bocephus” somehow came from the name of the ancient Jewish historian named “Josephus”
Josephus - Wikipedia

Or maybe the name did come from the name of Alexander the Greats horse. Or maybe it’s a combination of the two names.

So there probably is a connection that both are about the Ancient Greek/Roman world. There must be, people just don’t go around saying Bocephus for no good reason

I found:

"His father, Hank Sr., called him Bocephus when he was a child.

The story goes that there was a fella who did ventriloqiusm with several puppets at the Grand Ole Opry when Hank Williams Sr. was singing there. Hank Jr. would've been an infant. One of the ventriloquists' puppets was named Bocephus. Well Hank Sr. had been known to say that Hank Jr. looked just like a doll because he was such a good looking boy. Hence the nickname Bocephus, after the doll."

https://www.quora.com/How-did-Hank-Williams-Jr-get-the-name-Bocephus

It was a duckie sort of day. I need galoshes and waterproof feathers to find my way.
And to my delight, our 5 mallard ducks came out to play.

I found:

"His father, Hank Sr., called him Bocephus when he was a child.

The story goes that there was a fella who did ventriloqiusm with several puppets at the Grand Ole Opry when Hank Williams Sr. was singing there. Hank Jr. would've been an infant. One of the ventriloquists' puppets was named Bocephus. Well Hank Sr. had been known to say that Hank Jr. looked just like a doll because he was such a good looking boy. Hence the nickname Bocephus, after the doll."

https://www.quora.com/How-did-Hank-Williams-Jr-get-the-name-Bocephus

My suspicion is that the ventriloquist paid attention in history class, but he might have remembered names wrong or purposely mixed the name of Alexander’s horse with that of the first century Jewish historian or something.

Josephus is actually a really important figure in interpreting many first century occurrences, including Christianity. This guy was Jewish, but not Christian (some seemed to be kind of mixed religions at the time), and he mentions Jesus in his writings, which is a big deal because this was a fringe religion at the time and other outsiders didn’t even consider such things worth mentioning very often.

Jesus - Wikipedia

Early non-Christian sources that attest to the historical existence of Jesus include the works of the historians Josephus and Tacitus.[p][260][267] Josephus scholar Louis Feldman has stated that "few have doubted the genuineness" of Josephus' reference to Jesus in book 20 of the Antiquities of the Jews, and it is disputed only by a small number of scholars.[268][269] Tacitus referred to Christ and his execution by Pilate in book 15 of his work Annals. Scholars generally consider Tacitus' reference to the execution of Jesus to be both authentic and of historical value as an independent Roman source.[270]

Non-Christian sources are valuable in two ways. First, they show that even neutral or hostile parties never show any doubt that Jesus actually existed”

Josephus on Jesus - Wikipedia

The extant manuscripts of the book Antiquities of the Jews, written by the first-century Jewish historian Flavius Josephus around 93–94 AD, contain two references to Jesus of Nazareth and one reference to John the Baptist.[1][2]

The first and most extensive reference to Jesus in the Antiquities, found in Book 18, states that Jesus was the Messiah and a wise teacher who was crucified by Pilate. It is commonly called the Testimonium Flavianum.[1][3][4] Almost all modern scholars reject the authenticity of this passage in its present form, while the majority of scholars nevertheless hold that it contains an authentic nucleus referencing the execution of Jesus by Pilate, which was then subject to Christian interpolation and/or alteration.[3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10] The exact nature and extent of the Christian redaction remains unclear, however.[11][12]

Modern scholarship has largely acknowledged the authenticity of the second reference to Jesus in the Antiquities, found in Book 20, Chapter 9, which mentions "the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James."[13] This reference is considered to be more authentic than the Testimonium.[14][1][15][16][17][18]

Almost all modern scholars consider the reference in Book 18, Chapter 5 of the Antiquities to the imprisonment and death of John the Baptist also to be authentic and not a Christian interpolation.[19][20][21] A number of differences exist between the statements by Josephus regarding the death of John the Baptist and the New Testament accounts.[19][22] Scholars generally view these variations as indications that the Josephus passages are not interpolations, since a Christian interpolator would likely have made them correspond to the New Testament accounts, not differ from them.[19][23][22] Scholars have provided explanations for their inclusion in Josephus' later works.[24]

New Threads

Top Bottom