• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Driver license

Snotcat

I'm 24 year old woman with aspergers and I've been thinking about a drivers license. I've wanted it since i was 18 years old and now I finally have the money, but I have some worries will I be a good driver or even get the license.

I drove a car once or twice on a empty road and I had a lot of trouble on focusing on the road. I also had to look at the pedals and the gearstick when switching gears. That might get easier with practice but what can I do to concentrate better? And should I tell the teacher about my AS?

I started driving when I was 14 and it was easy for me. But I do sometimes get anxiety when I think about. I almost worry about all the bad things that could happen when I'm behind the wheel. But when I actually do get behind the wheel and just start driving. All those worries are for not. Your first time behind the wheel can be a lot like going off the high dive for the first time. Once you get past that first jump, the rest is easy.

Last edited:
Driving isn't for everyone on the spectrum. We all specialize in different things. My spatial awareness is terrible!,get lost , and I have extreme anxiety... I have driven in the past , but I don't feel comfortable driving with other people in the car. It's unfortunate that there is a stigma with everything Autists can't do, 'cause I have to constantly explain why I can't or won't drive and I get the "looks."

Telling the teacher/instructor most likely won't help your case... anxiety is a better option, most people don't really understand the Spectrum.

To make yourself feel better Give yourself words of encouragement " I can do this", etc.

I think it would've been easier to start diving young cause then i wasn't afraid of anything and i didn't have as much social anxiety. One thing I'm afraid of too is driving with some random guy who judges me since i don't even like to be in a same room with randoms.

I drove a car once or twice on a empty road and I had a lot of trouble on focusing on the road. I also had to look at the pedals and the gearstick when switching gears. That might get easier with practice but what can I do to concentrate better? And should I tell the teacher about my AS?

It's critical for you to learn to drive a manual transmission vehicle based on feel alone- not sight. Don't even think about looking at the pedals or the gearshift. When it's time to shift, you simply depress the clutch without any thought. Then immediately followed by shifting gears- by feel and not sight as well. Then letting the clutch out in a gentle fashion. Again, by feel alone.

As for using your eyes, keep them on the road at all times. None of it comes easily- or naturally to most people. But with time and lots of practice, you will eventually be able to operate a manual transmission on feel alone, as it's intended.

And no, don't tell your instructor you are on the spectrum. Driving is their skill. Not understanding alternate neurological states. That will just confuse them and possibly give them unfair preconceived notions of your aptitude and ability to operate a motor vehicle.

Last edited:
Yes, practice is necessary. Empty roads, empty parking lots, until you're comfortable and feel competent shifting gears and otherwise operating the car, until you can do this you're not going to feel comfortable in traffic.

I would encourage you to give yourself a fair chance, it's a nice ability to have if you can afford a vehicle. However, IMO there are a lot of people on the road who shouldn't be, and if after much practice you are still incompetent you should not drive. Don't feel that there's anything wrong with being a non-driver, when weighed against other people's safety the convenience of being able to drive is a minor thing.

Thanks for your answers. I probably can't afford my own car for a long time but licence is useful so i can borrow or rent a car when i need it, i wish i could try driving school before i pay for it but if i deside to go there i don't want my money to go to waste if i drop out. Maybe i can learn even if i have to take more driving lessons than others if i just remember to focus

I'm 35 and unable to get my license. Of all the things with my Autism it's the thing that bothers me the most.

I don't drive. I have a license which I keep as an easy form of ID (and also because I expect there to be self driving cars at some point and I think it's quite possible I will be ok 'driving' one of those). (Or if there's a zombie apocalypse.) Driving is the one thing I can't do because of my autism (and cataract), but I know there's plenty of people with autism who do drive.

If this is something you really want for yourself, I say go for it. In my area there are special instructors for people with autism/ADHD (that take things a bit slower), but I suppose that depends on where you live. I've also found automatic transition easier (one less thing to focus on). Maybe that's something to try out if possible?

Yes, learn with a automatic transmission (which is a lot easier and manuals are rare anyway).

Yes, be prepared for the zombie apocalypse. Zombies don't drive.

Only one way to find out if you can do it - which is to give it a try. I think most HFA folks can get the hang of it. So be positive and wait out any initial (and very predictable) negative reaction.

Yes, learn with a automatic transmission (which is a lot easier and manuals are rare anyway).
Really depends on where you live. Automatic transmission is very rare in most European countries, although it is gaining in popularity here. Driving with stick transmission is still the norm in my country.
Anyway, on topic: I’m a 32-year old Aspie currently learning to drive. I had some lessons when I was 18 but lacked money to continue until now. I’m doing okay as long as my instructor gives me clear instructions. I should be able to take the exam in a few months. Because of government rules I have to get tested by a psychiatrist first though, to assess if I am fit to drive a car at all. Which takes forever to plan, and which I have to pay out of my own pocket as well. It sucks because I have spent over 2000 euros on lessons so far and technically could be deemed unfit to drive now. The chances of that happening are slim, I think, but it’s not impossible.

So, I've been driving for awhile now. Probably started in.... 1998? Driver's Ed and all that.

And I do ALOT of driving. Sometimes just out of boredom. The only type of area I never enter is urban zones. But anything from country back roads to major interstates, lots of experience.

For someone starting out, there are a few things that I kinda want to mention just to add to the conversation here.

Firstly: No matter what, you *must* be able to keep your eyes on the road at all times, period. There cant be any exceptions to this... not even one. I mean, if you're sitting at a stoplight and you want to look at the console to change the radio station or something, that's one thing, but other than that... you MUST be focused. Nothing else is more important than this. Somehow, you have to get to that point before you can truly drive.

Second: If you can avoid manual cars, do so. With the sort of confusion that you say you have here, a manual transmission will simply make that much worse. With an auto, you dont even have to concern yourself with it. Hell, you couldnt pay me to drive a manual, I can tell you that, not even with as much time I've had driving. It'd be a disaster waiting to happen.

Third: Others above have mentioned practicing in parking lots and stuff. Definitely agree with this. For the love of all things puppy-shaped, do not try to get onto ACTUAL roads until you're fully confident in your ability to make the car do what you want without any confusion. The moment you get onto an actual road, you add other drivers and hazards into the mix... it's important to keep that in mind. No matter what anyone nearby may say, dont get on normal roads until you feel truly ready. Once you are on normal roads, try to stay on country/back roads as much as you can (if this is possible, of course... obviously this isnt really a thing in urban areas)

And the final thing: Be aware, driving can be scary sometimes. It *is* dangerous, and that's a fact that will never change. Never think that it isnt dangerous... dont underestimate that aspect. But believe me, if you can get past the hurdles of learning to do it... it's worth it. It's SO worth it. As long as you act safely, that is... dont try to jump over the Grand Canyon or something.

However: If you ever find yourself afraid of the car, afraid of the road... DO NOT DRIVE. Seriously. DONT drive while under the effect of fear/paranoia or even just too much anxiety. Just... trust me on this one. But when you're feeling up to it, feeling confident... yep, it's good.

Good luck to you!

I took private driving instruction at age 19.
Went to a small town to pass the driving test.
I'm an expert at "back street" driving. Hate urban interstates, freeways and bridges.
I now live in a metro area seperated by Tampa Bay. I won't drive the crowded freeways and
only one bridge across the bay will I drive. That's because it is a man made built up crossover
with dirt roads on the side to pull off onto if I want. It's not up in the air.

Anxiety always has been my worst enemy for driving, but, I've done it most of my life.
And I've never driven a manual. Never will either!

The best thing for it is practice, practice, practice. At some point, mind and muscle will learn the sequence of movements and it will become automatic, so you won't have to consciously think abotu using the clutch or brakes, or remembering to check your mirror and look over your shoulder. It might take some time, but patience pays off. Think about all those new motor neurons and synapses being forged in your brain as you learn :)

I started driving about age 12 on my family's land in a standard transmission vehicle. I took drivers education and got my beginners license at age 14 and a regular license at age 15. Standard transmissions are increasingly rare in the US but I think it is a good skill to have. Everyone should know how to drive a standard just in case you ever need to do so in an emergency.

I'm not really a fan of these blank statements "everyone should know how to drive."

People with ASD typically have some form of anxiety and fear as well as sensory disorders that are much stronger than those that are found in NTs and for that reson until they can get a handle on it and focus on their surroundings they should not be driving. Some people will never be able to drive. Just being realistic here.

I'm quite a bit older than you (by about 16 years) and about 15 years ago I applied fo the DVLA for a Provisional license to have lessons in an Automatic, I declared all my disabilities and health problems including be on the spectrum, and they turned me down.

They said due to the disability issues I wouldn't be able to safely control a car, and because as some people on here will notice, I get annoyed quite easily, they said I'd be a candidate for "Road rage"

I'm not really a fan of these blank statements "everyone should know how to drive."

"Know how to" is not the same as actually doing. I don't think that everyone should run around doing the Heimlich maneuver on random strangers every day, but everyone should know how to, yes. Generally speaking many people should not drive, but in the event that you're the only person available to take a dying person to the hospital, maybe it would be a good option to have. Having more options available to you is only bad if you make foolish use of those options. The ability to drive a vehicle is potentially a very powerful thing.

Automatic transmissions certainly make driving easier in the vast majority of situations, however manual transmissions sometimes give more control to the competent driver in a useful way. They also have the potential to be more enjoyable for those of us who like to be more in control of the vehicle, even when that extra control is unnecessary. I enjoy double-clutching when down-shifting, again even when unnecessary. That may be a bit weird, but I know that I'm not alone in this.

People who think everyone should do everything that everybody else does by a certain age seriously need to shut up IMO. Everyone is different, not everyone is capable of driving, I know I possibly could drive an Automatic, but like I said, the man from the DVLA said no.

People with ASD typically have some form of anxiety and fear as well as sensory disorders that are much stronger than those that are found in NTs and for that reson until they can get a handle on it and focus on their surroundings they should not be driving. Some people will never be able to drive. Just being realistic here.

Yeah, I agree with this.

It's not just a matter of focus though. To reiterate something I said earlier: If you're afraid of driving for any reason... you shouldnt drive. If at some point you somehow overcome that fear, then sure. But otherwise... nope. And no exceptions. It's just too dangerous.

That being said though... a different thing said still holds true: It's so very, very worth it if you can push past the tough parts and learn it. And until you do it, you cant know just how much it's worth it.

Super important to think it all over carefully though. Never make decisions like this on a whim.

New Threads

Top Bottom