• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dragon's Lair, Time Warp and Space Ace the *not* movie

UberScout

Please Don't Be Mad At Me 02/09/1996
V.I.P Member
So, back in the 80's, there was a new kind of arcade game, called Dragon's Lair. Instead of traditional gameplay such as shoot em ups or beat em ups, it was an animated movie that you follow along with.

If you've heard of it, you can probably recall it resembles a Disney movie, that's because it was written by none other than Don Bluth, who worked for Disney at the time.

Anyway, if you haven't heard of it, here's how it works: Your character is Dirk the Daring, a paranoid knight who is after the rescue of princess Daphne, his soon-to-be wife, who is captured by a dragon in the castle. A short movie will be played, and when something is about to happen, you'll hear a sound effect followed by a gold flash somewhere in the room; your task is to press the right direction or button when it appears to continue the movie. If not, a death screen appears.

The original game didn't really do too much of the "flashes in the room" gimmick, at least not until the sequel, Time Warp. This time, Daphne is captured by Mordroc the wizard, and Dirk chases him through different time periods to pursue Daphne. This game is notorious for being more difficult than the first game, as button prompts are faster and more well-placed, but this one introduces a new gimmick; throughout each movie sequence, there are "blink-and-you'll-miss-it" treasures that appear somewhere in the level. If you press towards the treasure, Dirk will stop time to collect it. Collecting them all achieves the best ending.

I personally love this game, and Space Ace as well, but I find Space Ace to be more difficult. My favorite in the series is Time Warp.

Ah, you gotta love nostalgia, eh?

I used to love playing Dragon's Lair. As you mentioned, the graphics were phenomenal! There were two things that I disliked; the cost to play was double that of a "regular" video game, and if you were a fraction of a second off in making your decision, you'd lose a life. I still ended up pumping a lot of quarters into it, though because I appreciated the graphics, the innovative laserdisc design and my determination to save Princess Daphne.

Yes sir, that was a heck of a game. Oh, before I forget, DERK, SEEV MEE!

I always wanted to play this & still have yet to find it... I'll have go trawling the web for info on Emulation as I remember the last time I looked there was something available but getting a compatible disc image for M.A.M.E was an issue.

Another awesome game for the time was 'MACH 3' (vertical scrolling shmup), if I recall correctly it used a Laser Disc for the background. Which yet again if I recall right was a video flying say 200/400 feet above what looks like Silicon Valley. A rare machine, a friend had the standup one, a Williams Defender & a Star Wars sit down machine.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom