• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

double check or doubt yourself

Aspergers_Aspie

I sometimes say something for example a fact about an actor and I am right but there 'is a small part of me' that doubts myself and I have to check, does anyone else fell like this sometimes?

For me I think it is because I'm checking for accuracy. I'm not sure though....good question.

I sometimes say something for example a fact about an actor and I am right but there 'is a small part of me' that doubts myself and I have to check, does anyone else fell like this sometimes?
didn’t used to ,in the last few years that’s changed .
It’s not doubt with me ,I just know my memory will blank,think mine is hormonal .

I imagine them finding out what I said was wrong and how awkward that would be and that makes me confirm things I know pretty often.

Yes, I know this feeling! I often look up definitions of words and expressions too, to make sure I'm using them correctly. I also avoid saying people's names because I'm constantly full of doubt about them. It makes it extremely difficult to learn to speak or write in a second language.

I think Google makes it worse. It's so easy to verify things before saying them so we rarely have to just live with the doubt and take the risk of being wrong. It seems like the internet in general also has a tendency towards encouraging rather brutal, nit picky "know it all" behaviour, with people super quick to call others out when they get things wrong. If you spend any time on social media, reddit, many forums or any comment sections in general, it's just full of people calling each other out for minor inaccuracies. As someone who is anxious about slipping up in social situations I can't help but pay very close attention to that sort of thing and I think it has given me a somewhat twisted idea of what people are actually like in real life.

Unfortunately being aware of that doesn't seem to reduce the anxiety at all.

Yup, unless I’m 100% sure that what I’m saying is true, I’m not going to say it before I check. Or, if there’s no way of checking, I say it with a huge disclaimer stating I’m not completely sure.

I think this can also lead to a tendency to talk about ourselves/our own experiences a lot. It feels safer!

Yes, a lot - I'm always checking spelling and facts or meanings of words.

I think it's just something between perfectionism and low self-esteem (and maybe the tendency of the society to push for 'perfection' to get a desired social standing?). I know NTs that do the same. No one like to look stupid after a mistake.

I mostly say "this might be true or it might not be, I don't know" before sharing something I've heard or read, because I don't want someone to share what I said to some other person in case it's wrong. I imagine the person feeling a little stupid after sharing a factoid and then getting corrected, especially if in reality it's way off the mark. For example, I remember reading that coffee is the second most traded commodity in the world and some time after sharing it to my brother I googled it and that's not the case, it's actually the 98th most traded commodity. After realizing it, I got anxious and really had to tell him that it wasn't true, but then he didn't even remember that I had said it to him.

New Threads

Top Bottom