• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dopamine Turnover in Asperger's

Neonatal RRT

V.I.P Member
During one of my frequent "deep dives" into the literature I found one of the most interesting articles on Asperger's condition. "Dopamine Turnover in Asperger Syndrome" by Stephanie Swainston. This was written in May 2019 and appears to be a PhD or Master's thesis paper. Given the 400+ references in the bibliography,...I highly suspect it was written by a fellow Aspie. Looks like one of my papers,...LOL. :D

Of specific interest was her 3 identifiable Asperger's phenotypes. She goes into the specific signs and symptoms of each,...which I was able to speculate as to which of the three phenotypes I was. However, more importantly,...the ability to able to identify which phenotype one is will give insight into how best to treat. No surprise, not all Aspies are the same,...nor should they be treated medically the same according to this information. It's a great perspective because being the "helpful" person I am, I like to make recommendations,...perhaps I might have to temper my "helpful enthusiasm" a bit and formulate my responses a bit better based upon this new knowledge.;)

There was also information on how the monthly menstrual cycle, with it's associated hormonal changes, may influence dopamine levels,...as well as other gender-specific information that may be useful when discussing our signs and symptoms with our health care providers.

Thought I would share. I ended up downloading it onto my desktop,...it's one of those papers that I have to slow down and read carefully.

FYI,...the usual internet link process does not work. Use Google Scholar, then type in the title as written above.

Last edited:
This paper gave me insights into:
1. The important role of chronic oxidative stress in the remodeling of the brain as we age, and what that may mean in terms of our symptoms. I have noticed some changes in my socialization, sensory issues, and mental focus over the past 10 years. Potential roles for antioxidant supplements? More investigation.
2. The long list of "low dopamine" signs and symptoms. I have a fair amount of them.
3. Why, in some phenotypes, a low glutamine status may contribute to a low dopamine status. I may have to modify what I say and do regarding the usage of L-theanine as a "glutamine-blocker". It might not have the desired effect in some individuals with specific Asperger's phenotypes. Personally, I feel better using it,...but that is me.
4. Why, in some phenotypes, the use of stimulants may worsen oxidative stress and lower dopamine. Personally, I actually become more lethargic and my sensory issues become worse when using stimulants,...makes some sense now.

Although there was some recommendation regarding the usage of Modafinil, a dopamine reuptake inhibitor,...it may be helpful to discuss this with your healthcare provider. However, personally, what I can consider doing right now: The usage of antioxidant supplements to reduce the oxidative damage from a build up of toxic metabolites. At 53,...I am sure a lot of damage has occurred,...but I have a lot of things I want to do in life yet,...and I want to "be there" mentally to do those things and enjoy them.

New Threads

Top Bottom