• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Don't have a job? Apply to move to AR!

Smart PR campaign, it obviously targets the younger demographic without being too insensitive. l mean Florida would have to offer wheelchairs and walkers. lol

Now I just need a green card... :rolleyes: But I would trade the bike for a Ford Cortina Mk II... :D

Last edited:
Now I just need a green card... :rolleyes: But I would trade the bike for a Ford Cortina Mk II... :D
You can apply anyway. Maybe they'd try to help you out. Worst they can say is no. I think they let you fill out the whole application even if you don't live in the US. It's like 26 short answer questions.

You can apply anyway. Maybe they'd try to help you out. Worst they can say is no. I think they let you fill out the whole application even if you don't live in the US. It's like 26 short answer questions.

;)

I plan to stay up north here in hinterland anyway... :cool:

Is that $10k and bike tax free? Lol. I don't know much about Northwest AR but the article does a nice job selling it. The state I live in is having troubles attracting people to stay here. A lot of college educated young people have left the state so there is a bit of a brain/talent drain. As a college graduate myself, it makes me question if I live in the best area for me, but family is a strong draw. Anyway, there is a pretty large labor shortage here and COVID has made it worse. Seems like the shortage is broad and across many different types of jobs and industries.

All I know about AR is that Walmart started there... I think.

Also, I never learned to ride a bike, so if they want to give me one, it better come with lessons, or medical coverage in case I get hurt...

The direct link:

$10,000 Life Works Here Talent Incentive | Northwest Arkansas

The area is the home of Walmart Corporate Headquarters, which is why there's so much opportunity there. Sam Walton was a member of a committee to bring a national "five-and-dime" store to the area, which in 1960 was one of those places where the people were so poor that the dirt had more money. Woolworth, Kresge, and other big names turned them down flat, so Sam eventually decided to start a five-and-dime himself. Walton's 5-10 opened in Rogers, AR, in 1964.

Walton died a billionaire in 1992, at which time "Wal-Mart" was a regional chain of variety stores. Walton had very specific criteria as to where to put a Wal-Mart, and he stayed in the Deep South. Once his kids got the reins they went hog wild, and by the early 2000s Walmart was a global behemoth. Bentonville, where Walmart has its HQ, exploded with construction. One of the heirs bought up tons of fine art and built a spectacular gallery for it. Today the Waltons are one of the richest "nouveau riche" families on earth, and the area is a global hub.

Disclaimer: my ancestors are from the area. If you ask around you're sure to find somebody with my last name or a couple related last names. The area was so poor that people lived in crude board cabins that fell down after 40 years or so, after which what wood (and nails) could be reused was and a new home hammered back together. No electricity until the Roosevelt-era REA reached the area. The area was so awful that my ancestors left for Los Angeles BEFORE the Great Depression hit-rumors were going around that the economy was about to implode, so a section of the clan headed for SoCal, settling in Fullerton, which was then a sheep town where Basque ranchers produced top quality wool.

NWA is a great place to live and has a good supply of high paying jobs. I love it here.

I’ve traveled and worked all over and I ended up staying here to raise my kids.

We kept it quiet for years but now people are moving here by the thousands. Of course there are pros and cons.

The mountain bike and $10k is a lure for service workers. The area needs service workers desperately.

My opinion only.

NWA is a great place to live and has a good supply of high paying jobs. I love it here.

I’ve traveled and worked all over and I ended up staying here to raise my kids.

We kept it quiet for years but now people are moving here by the thousands. Of course there are pros and cons.

The mountain bike and $10k is a lure for service workers. The area needs service workers desperately.

My opinion only.

This is true, but it is also a potential lure to try to build the tech sector up too. Technology can be built within any environment and this area is remote and probably doesn't have a lot of build up. There is some civilization because the Walton family built some things up. There's a museum and some stadium that seats 3000+ people.

Haha. I live in Arkansas, but nobody gave me 10k dollars. And now I choose such a bike for myself to work on. This news is an interesting discovery for me. Maybe the state will still pay people to keep them from leaving?

Last edited:
There was something to move to some small town in Mississippi for 6k earlier. I don't think it's still up. Yeah, you have to be a non-state resident. But if you want an incentive like this, look around for other similar applications that might pop up.

New Threads

Top Bottom