1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Donald Trump Can't Read the Constitution?!

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Sapphire K, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Sapphire K

Sapphire K Autistic Demigirl! (She/They/It) V.I.P Member

I found this article after seeing a thread on the LGBTChat site about this same topic. Donald Trump struggled to read the constitution on camera!

Article: “It’s Like a Foreign Language”: Donald Trump’s Encounter With the Constitution Did Not Go Well

That's right, Donald Trump called the language used in the Constitution "difficult" and "like a foreign language."

Here is a direct quote from the article that stands out:
    If Trump, a very wealthy 74 year-old man, can't read the constitution, then can we trust him to protect it and not break it? He doesn't even know what is in it, simply because he can't read it :eek:.

I am 17, and I can read something like the Constitution just fine. Sure, me actually being able to focus on reading it will be a bit difficult since I have ADHD, but Trump has no excuse since he doesn't have any disabilities or mental illnesses that will impair his reading ability. This isn't even a high school - level skill. American children are expected to read, write, and speak English at least somewhat fluently by the 3rd grade, and Trump, who, again, is 74 years old, can barely read, write, and speak English properly. Is his intellect simply that low? Do we really want somebody who has trouble reading to be the president?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. tree

tree Blue/Green Staff Member V.I.P Member

This is the section he tried reading out loud.

Article. II.
    Section. 1.
    The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same Term, be elected, as follows

Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector.

The Electors shall meet in their respective States, and vote by Ballot for two Persons, of whom one at least shall not be an Inhabitant of the same State with themselves. And they shall make a List of all the Persons voted for, and of the Number of Votes for each; which List they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the Seat of the Government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate. The President of the Senate shall, in the Presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the Certificates, and the Votes shall then be counted. The Person having the greatest Number of Votes shall be the President, if such Number be a Majority of the whole Number of Electors appointed; and if there be more than one who have such Majority, and have an equal Number of Votes, then the House of Representatives shall immediately chuse by Ballot one of them for President; and if no Person have a Majority, then from the five highest on the List the said House shall in like Manner chuse the President. But in chusing the President, the Votes shall be taken by States, the Representation from each State having one Vote; A quorum for this Purpose shall consist of a Member or Members from two thirds of the States, and a Majority of all the States shall be necessary to a Choice. In every Case, after the Choice of the President, the Person having the greatest Number of Votes of the Electors shall be the Vice President. But if there should remain two or more who have equal Votes, the Senate shall chuse from them by Ballot the Vice President.

The Congress may determine the Time of chusing the Electors, and the Day on which they shall give their Votes; which Day shall be the same throughout the United States.

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

In Case of the Removal of the President from Office, or of his Death, Resignation, or Inability to discharge the Powers and Duties of the said Office, the Same shall devolve on the Vice President, and the Congress may by Law provide for the Case of Removal, Death, Resignation or Inability, both of the President and Vice President, declaring what Officer shall then act as President, and such Officer shall act accordingly, until the Disability be removed, or a President shall be elected.

The President shall, at stated Times, receive for his Services, a Compensation, which shall neither be encreased nor diminished during the Period for which he shall have been elected, and he shall not receive within that Period any other Emolument from the United States, or any of them.

Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:—"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Section. 2.
    The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.

Section. 3.
    He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States.

Section. 4.
    The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors. The Constitution of the United States: A Transcription

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Sapphire K

I could read that perfectly fine and understand it perfectly. It ain't even that hard. There is no weird formatting, no figurative language, and it appears to be at a middle school reading level. I don't trust a guy who can't read this and understand it to have the most powerful position of authority in the U.S. government.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. tree

tree Blue/Green Staff Member V.I.P Member

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Sapphire K

Yeah. But, still, it's insane that our president can't read at 9th grade level. Again, this man does not have ADHD or dyslexia. He is a (debatably) full-abled adult.

I don't mean to be harsh or anything, but I think there should be some sort of minimum IQ limit or a require literacy test that presidential candidates are required to meet/take.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. MrSpock

MrSpock Live long and prosper

The ability to read and speak well is a prerequisite for being leader of most countries, but the US has historically been a bit of an exception. Of course it would be an asset in almost any job, but it's less necessary for the leader of the US than for the leader of most countries. That's because most countries are much more concerned with what goes on in the rest of the world than the US typically is.

You can't be the leader of any Western European country without spending a fair bit of time schmoozing with the other leaders of Western European countries. What goes on outside of almost any country affects that country to a greater extent than with the US. I suppose China might be similar.

Woodrow Wilson was the biggest person at the table, so to speak, when the Treaty of Versailles was drawn up. According to Keynes (an economist who was part of the British delegation, and who quit in disgust part way through to write a book basically predicting WW II) the process went awry due to Wilson's inability to hold his own at public speaking in with the European leaders. This led to the German people being angry and for good reason, they then elected an angry politician.

I'm not sure that the American people were as angry, but it seems to me that when Trump was elected things were already unhealthy. I am on the outside looking in here, but I think that Trump could only be elected because your politics were already so very polarized that it's difficult to have productive conversation in almost any area of politics, and even regarding things that would not normally be considered political such as the Covid-19 pandemic.

We watch too much of your TV here in Canada. Things are more polarized here than they ought to be. Global warming should not be politicized, but it has been here. And a great many Canadians seem willing to vote it in. Ugh.

Good luck in November, for you and for the rest of the world, too!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. oregano

oregano Judgment day: 27/9/2021? V.I.P Member

In all fairness, 18th century English CAN be difficult for some. Just try to read one of the Federalist Papers in its original form. At one point Glenn Beck hired an expert in 18th century English to "translate" the Federalist Papers into modern English so that more people could read and understand them. The result was called "The Original Argument" and is out of print but anybody can likely find copies on Amazon or Ebay (listed author is Glenn Beck). Language changes and evolves over time.

8. Sapphire K

I believe they were reading a modernized version, though. So he has even less excuses.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

You seem to be viewing Trump as a conventional politician. -He's neither conventional or a politician.

Autocrats don't seek excuses, because their perspective is the only perspective. Interested exclusively in laws and a Constitution that benefits them personally. And in the event of constitutional provisions and conditions that do not, they will attempt to ignore them or deliberately misinterpret them in a way that may benefit them.

All of which amounts to rigid, reinforced beliefs in one's own delusional thought process with ideology serving only as a veil to hide this reality. That Donald Trump is not Republican or a conservative. Not even a Christian. He's simply an autocrat attempting to export his private sector reign to a public sector presidency for personal gain.

Where either the public adopts it out of loyalty and patriotism, or rejects it with regime change. In a body politic that is diametrically split between interpreting Trump as a sort of Louis XIV or Louis XVI of France. With an upcoming November election which will decide one or the other.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sapphire K

Bold of you to assume I view him as a politician. I didn't say that Trump was seeking excuses. Thanks for assuming that's what I meant, though.

11. SDRSpark

SDRSpark Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Definitely a literacy test, and a citizenship test too!!! If you don't know how the government actually works, you definitely aren't qualified to run it. This goes for all elected officials, not just the President.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

In Trump's world there are no excuses for him to make. Period. From his autocratic perspective there is only his opinion and his alone to consider. That there's more to Trump's ignorance than ignorance alone. That it involves a thought process he's pathologically unable to overcome.

Though I agree with others that the Constitution itself is not an easy document to follow relative to the intent of our Founding Fathers versus the challenges of modern times. Yet I see such concerns as being academic given the inherent nature of Trump's thought processes whatever his alleged education level may actually be.

It's also one thing to simply read and parse the Constitution alone. Quite another to correlate and comprehend the Constitution relative to Supreme Court legal precedents that stipulate the present state of federal law well beyond that of the Constitution itself. Example: To truly understand your federal right to bear arms, it isn't enough to cite the Second Amendment. Probably the most important legal precedent protecting our right to bear arms is the case of Heller v. District of Columbia 2008.

Is Congress getting dumber, or just more plainspoken?

Or just google the Flesch-Kincaid grade level scale. Lots of information on the standards of readability of the US Constitution and the educational level expected.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. menander

menander Well-Known Member

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV..."

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. FoxFire

FoxFire New Member

The man can obviously read. How much money does he have compared to the rest of us here? He didn't get it by being stupid.

15. Sapphire K

He inherited it from his daddy, obviously. That, and he was a reality TV host and (for some reason) wrestled on WWE exactly once. You don't to be smart to have money. The only good examples of smart people with tons of money are in the tech industry, such as Bill Gates or Jeff Bezos.

It's also worth mentioning that the man went bankrupt 6 times. Yeah, I can't trust a dude who can't keep his own business afloat without going bankrupt 6 times in a row to run our economy.

His reading grade level is also somewhat lower than the average highschool graduate. As was said above, the constitution has a 9th grade reading level. Trump is 74 years old. If a 74-year-old can't read a document with a 9th-grade reading level, then I don't want him as president. We should value intelligence when it comes to choosing a president, not age or how much they have in their bank account.

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. Thinx

Thinx Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Its fair to say that Trump is regarded with incredulity by many in the UK, his attitude to the covid situation has seemed ignorant and disturbing; he's morally reprehensible and he's a mysogynist narcissist. Such a dissapointment when you compare him to Obama.

• Agree Agree x 2