• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does this joke make sense to anyone?

arthurfakaya

I was told the following joke that I initially found funny, but now find illogical. I may be over-analysing it - as I tend to do - but I need to find out what others think about the joke's logic. Does the joke make sense or not?

The joke is, "Don't take life too seriously: You're not going to get out of it alive!"

The thing is, as I see it, if you are going to uses that punch-line it would make more sense if it was, "You'd better take life seriously - because you're not going to get out of it alive!"

My argument is that if death is considered to be the end of our existence, then we should be making our life count for something rather than treating it as a joke. I think the guy that came up with it originally started with a funny punch-line (You're not going to get out of it alive), but didn't choose the most appropriate lead in.

What do you reckon?

That's a quote from Van Wilder Party Liaison. The context it was used in was to illustrate that you shouldn't be so wound up that you forget to have fun because you might miss something really worth while.

I like this quote ... makes a good point. And a lot of people do forget to have fun. Makes me smile to hear it.

In this movie they were also trying to illustrate that you only get one life so why not enjoy it. If you haven't seen this movie ... highly recommend it though the bit with the dog and buns ... if you are squimish you might want to avert your eyes. I have seen this movie heaps of times and that bit still make me want to hurl. It might also help you to understand this quote.

I don't even see how I can overanalyze it.

It's a nicer way of putting "in the end we all die".

It's not really a funny quote since it's only vaguely connected to each other. Yes, we talk about life... and we talk about the end of life, but that's all there is to it.

That being said; I do agree that you shouldn't take life to serious. Living your life way to serious can and will be a burden. Having a laugh every once in a while is perfectly fine (in fact, some people claim it's healthy). Of course people will say "but... I want to be serious contrary to the quote". I don't know, being serious all the time to me means no joking around ever. And that might put some people on edge cause to me... I'd be overly paranoid if I had to tell myself "I can't laugh and I have to avert any impending fun to keep up my seriousness".

I think the "joke" serves more as a tip on living life to the fullest more than an actual joke. It's a good thing to let go and have fun when you can because life is short.

Some people don't over analyze????? The longer I live the more I realize I don't have a clue as to how NTs think, except it is usually opposite to my way of thinking. I wish I could be desensitized to all the wrong-thinking I constantly hear. I can't make NTs see the real truth and I wish I could stop reacting to all the dumb stuff they say and do. This is why I have become almost a hermit. I have to interact with people in stores and out in public, but at least at home I can be alone and avoid annoying all the normal people out there. I wish there were a state set aside just for Aspies.

Uh-oh. Getting philosophical could go some pretty strange directions for some of us.

As a newly-discovered, self-diagnosed Aspie, I'm just wondering if this is a condition I deliberately prescribed for myself before entering this life, and also wondering if it's a condition I may automatically take to another life. Or if it's simply a neurological (and very mortal condition) I will leave behind when I die and return to my primary plane of existence.

Uh-oh. Getting philosophical could go some pretty strange directions for some of us.

As a newly-discovered, self-diagnosed Aspie, I'm just wondering if this is a condition I deliberately prescribed for myself before entering this life, and also wondering if it's a condition I may automatically take to another life. Or if it's simply a neurological (and very mortal condition) I will leave behind when I die and return to my primary plane of existence.

If you're taking in consideration the notion of reincarnation one can even wonder if you're "less" aspie right now based on prior experiences and social etiquette you learned there. For what it's worth you could've been a total mute in a past life.

If you're taking in consideration the notion of reincarnation one can even wonder if you're "less" aspie right now based on prior experiences and social etiquette you learned there. For what it's worth you could've been a total mute in a past life.

Anything is possible. No telling what part of my present life experience might be based on a past life. Still thinking about undergoing past life regression...find out what's under the hood!

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom