• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does medication help you socialize?

Tony Ramirez

Single. True friend's.
V.I.P Member
Since I have been on Seroquel and Prozac I have been able to socialize better. I am even talking to girls from Church something that I could not do before.

A little backstory I was on Seroquel and Prozac last year right away I wanted to talk more since on the Seroquel. The doctor took me off the Seroquel after about a month and put me on Ziprasidone. The Ziprasidone did nothing really and I was more anxious around people especially girls with made me more anxious.

Even went away with a group and I wanted to stay in the room most of the time listening to music like I do at home. Going to the beach was a challenge.

Then I started to get obsessions like looking up soundtracks to see if they were complete and seeing if actors smoked cigarettes or not. I went through this November and December of last year. After which the doctor put me back on Prozac.

The doctor put me back on Seroquel by my request after I had a holiday meltdown. He still keeps me on the Ziprasidone which I see as a waste. Well after being back on it for a couple of months I want to talk more. Even getting more active on this forum again. I don't feel as anxious around crowds at church and I am even starting to approach people to talk. I opened up more to my friend Justin from life group. Him and his wife put on on a private WhatsApp chat.

I did that with a girl I know even asking for her to invite me into private WhatsApp which I showed her how to do something I could not do when just on the Ziprasidone. I am even open with my student psychiatrists after only seeing her for a few weeks.

I still sweat when talking to people and I still can't just go up to girl at Church I don't know that is still a 10 on my anxious scale who knows maybe one day as everyone in my Church is friendly too me.

So I am asking has medication and I guess therapy helped you to socialize more with people?

I have been on Zoloft for a year and it has helped me become more social. Or at least become less conscious of my negative thoughts. My thoughts went from 100 to 10. I still get nervous and approaching others is still difficult but I don't shy away from events anymore. I'm not attending therapy at the moment, before it was nice to have someone to vent to, but I've noticed it takes a toll out of me at each session.

I've not taken anything for social difficulties in my life. Although I do think of it now as hard work, and I'm exhausted afterwards. Still take a big breath before I walk into a room to socialize and talk to people I don't know well.
It's like climbing a steep hill and taking big breaths when I get to the top. It's something I have to push myself to do, and it's never been easy I've realized over a long period of time. But I can do it, if I have to.

I agree socializing is very exhausting afterwards. I find it easier to text like using WhatsApp to talk then face to face.

Also Seroquel makes me drowsy at times but it still helps with the anxiety from socializing.

Next week will be the real thing to see how much the Seroquel works I will be going out four nights in a row.

I can stay in every night of the week quite happily. But I like to be out and about by day. I have never taken any kind of medication apart from paracetamol for a cold. I knew I wasn't anxious around people, it was simply an inability to connect to them in an unstructured social environment. I kept on trying though, with very limited results.

Understanding about Aspergers and autism was the key to this. Like, 50 years after I first noticed the issues... Better late than never. I felt vindicated in a way, because I knew I had really tried over and above to tackle the issues, without result. However I sorted out a lot of emotional baggage from childhood along the way, and met some great people, so my journey was as good as the arrival... I was lucky never to be anxious, it's great that medication can help with anxiety.

My main reason is anxiety.
It does help with anxiety but the Seroquel is helping me more or maybe the combo of both is helping. I texted my cousin the other day something I normally don't do and told him I been socializing more.

I was so social at Church today. I greeted and talked to the woman giving coffee about how cold it is but my jacket is keeping me warm. Not quite the 10 on my scale but it is progress. I also talked to an older woman about my close call with a car and even sat and approached someone from Friday night prayer and told her the same story.

I am also home now chatting on Whatapp Justin and the girl from Life Group.

Last edited:
It does help with anxiety but the Seroquel is helping me more or maybe the combo of both is helping. I texted my cousin the other day something I normally don't do and told him I been socializing more.

I was so social at Church today. I greeted and talked to the woman giving coffee about how cold it is but my jacket is keeping me warm. Not quite the 10 on my scale but it is progress. I also talked to an older woman about my close call with a car and even sat and approached someone from Friday night prayer and told her the same story.

I am also home now chatting on Whatapp Justin and the girl from Life Group.
Well done for socializing.

Help me socialize? Not really.

Such meds simply dulled my brain and personality sufficiently for me to no longer experience such intense anxiety when meeting other people that I wasn't particularly familiar with.

Such meds simply dulled my brain and personality sufficiently for me to no longer experience such intense anxiety when meeting other people that I wasn't particularly familiar with.
The Seroquel dulls my brain and does make me less anxiety which is why I can talk to girls now something that last year would have scared me. But it also just makes me want to talk more to people. I am originally take it to help with my Kakologophobia and Prozac for my obsessions.

New Threads

Top Bottom