• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does caffeine make you more or less focused?

Does caffeine make you more or less focused?

• It makes me more focused

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • It makes me less focused

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Caffeine makes me feel less tired, but doesn’t help me focus

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Caffeine doesn’t affect me

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

Nervous Rex

High-functioning autistic
V.I.P Member
I ask because I instinctively reach for something caffeinated when I feel tired, but I’m coming to realize that I’m just as unfocused when I’m tired whether I drink caffeine or not. It doesn’t help me focus any better - it just makes me not feel tired. I also can’t have caffeine any later than 2 or 3 pm, or I’ll have trouble sleeping.

My wife doesn’t feel any effects from caffeine, and can drink it any time of the day. For my ADHD son, caffeine definitely helps him focus.

I ask because I instinctively reach for something caffeinated when I feel tired, but I’m coming to realize that I’m just as unfocused when I’m tired whether I drink caffeine or not. It doesn’t help me focus any better - it just makes me not feel tired. I also can’t have caffeine any later than 2 or 3 pm, or I’ll have trouble sleeping.

My wife doesn’t feel any effects from caffeine, and can drink it any time of the day. For my ADHD son, caffeine definitely helps him focus.
no it just makes me move really quickly and I feel breathless ,what helps me focus is if I'm not stressed or i've slept.
The turning point for me was vitamin b complex !but I think because I had severe anxiety and panic attacks the effect was more dramatic ,it might be less dramatic for you.

It makes me more focused and less tired as long as I don't have too much. If I drink too much, it makes me jittery and scatterbrained and less concentrated.

Way more. Unfortunately my addictive personality, well, got addicted. If I don't have enough caffeine I get searing headaches. I've been gradually cutting down but I love coffee, coffee cake, tea, coke. I spend most of my life sort of numb and it's the only thing that really wakes me up. It does make me a bit jittery with thoughts all over the place but I try to focus them.

I tried the Starbucks espresso cubano little tins...

20 mins to an hour of pure joy and madness.

Pure focus,but on everything.

Before an emergency trip out or one in the car for getting back..perfect.

But those 5 hours of power they sell at the 7/11 ,oh man, drank half one time....

I would say avoid. But only try one to experience what those truck drivers are doing....
And adjust your driving accordingly.

Well i am a coffee addict , i didnt drike cofee for maybe a month, the first 2 weeks were realy horrible now i feel better.

Coffee helped me stay up later, awake faster in the morning,play video games more effectivly, do sports, well since i am 17 it was on cafeine all day.
I dont think it helped me focus even if I drank cofee during studie times(or maybe it helped me focus while playing), in the contrary, It made me more reactive but more reactive to everything, but ofc it helped me when i had to study late etc, but overall it was not healthy at all.

I was drinking so much that cofee did trigger a lots of anxiety,anger, this is why i had to stop, i couldnt just drink a little because if you stay on something that you are addict to , this is just painfull to just drink a little.

I couldn't really vote honestly... More focused YES, but with consequences a lot of the time.

I love the smell of coffee!!! I like coffee occasionally (I mix it with hot chocolate, no sugar or anything else) but if I haven't ate I get all jittery and shaky... YUCK... This happens sometimes even if I have eaten...

My Choco-Coffee is mostly cold weather drink to me, warmer weather I never touch it.

I do use 5 hour energy (a lot) but that little bottle is about 4 different shots for me... So its like 20 hours of partial energy : ) But it just sort of helps me move through the fog sometimes...

I drank a whole one once and it scared the crap out of me... I thought my heart was going to pound out of my chest. I got Niacin flush I was beet red for like an hour... I nearly called the doctor, but kept my cool and figured it all out... It was just too much for me and that's all that was wrong. : )

Caffeine definitely helps me to focus, but if I drink too much I get jittery. I never drank coffee until my 30's, I don't know how I made it on those early morning construction jobs without it, but somehow I managed. ;)

I am allergic to caffeine.
It gives me hives.
I don't use coffee, ordinary (non-herbal) tea, or chocolate.

Caffeine makes me feel like I am flying apart, shattered.

It prevents insanity.

Well, sometimes.

As it is I'm waiting for the bloody car to heat up so I can go get some. Daily routine, down to the fountain machine at the gas station (for Mountain Dew). And then we see how much crazy it surpresses on a given day.

I literally cannot function without caffeine, so it's not a case of 'does it make me focused' but rather 'does it make me human'. I need a pint of tea with multiple bags (left in) every morning the second I 'wake up' before I can manage basic questions such as 'what is your name?'. Someone once suggested to me that I might have an addiction, so I tried to cut it out for a week. It was the worst week of my life! I've since learned to embrace my addiction to caffeine and it has evolved into a deep and meaningful relationship that is stronger than any marriage!

I wish I could drink coffee. I try a cup every few years to check if my tastebuds have changed, but it still tastes like battery acid to me. Coffee would be far more effective.

It makes me less focused, because it makes my tics worse. It probably doesn't help my anxiety either. At home, the tea bags I have are decaf and I don't like coffee. I do have sometimes have an energy drink but that's because there's one particular one I like the taste of.

More focused. Though stimulants of any kind are not necessarily my friend over time.

Withdrawal being most unpleasant with certain types of caffeinated substances. Coca Cola in particular, which I seldom drink any more.

Last edited:
too much makes me anxious, jittery, dizzy and headachy (coffee and tea sometimes irritate my stomach, too). it helps a little with focus, but not enough for me to consume it regularly.

New Threads

Top Bottom