• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone suffer from pains?

SkyForever

Hi,

I hope everyone is doing well?

The last few weeks have been really hard. I’ve been getting pains, some I’d say are mild and others can be really severe and knock the wind out of me and leave me feeling lousy all day long. The pains vary in pain but are with me every single day. They can be in my head, chest, stomach or pelvic area and they can be very uncomfortable. I’ve also been feeling very tired and off my food. I ate the other day and within half an hour bad stomach pain and feeling very unwell which lasted until the afternoon the next day. Luckily that’s only happened the once so far and I’m hoping it won’t repeat. I’m thinking it might be anxiety but I am also wondering if it’s Autism related. Has anyone else ever experienced this before? It’s not pleasant and I’m getting fed up with the pain and lousy feeling now :(

On a happier note though, I’ve patched things up with my mum and we’re talking again :) So I am super happy about that!

Take care everyone.

Sky.

First thing: This is absolutely the wrong place to ask for this sort of thing. The internet and medical advice are two things that dont go together. All we can do here is speculate, very randomly, based on a TON of variables, none of which we really know.

Talk to a doctor about this, not us here. That's the only way you're going to get an answer that's of actual use (and an answer that isnt somehow dangerous). Best to do it sooner rather than later, if the pain is as severe as you say.

Hi,

I hope everyone is doing well?

The last few weeks have been really hard. I’ve been getting pains, some I’d say are mild and others can be really severe and knock the wind out of me and leave me feeling lousy all day long. The pains vary in pain but are with me every single day. They can be in my head, chest, stomach or pelvic area and they can be very uncomfortable. I’ve also been feeling very tired and off my food. I ate the other day and within half an hour bad stomach pain and feeling very unwell which lasted until the afternoon the next day. Luckily that’s only happened the once so far and I’m hoping it won’t repeat. I’m thinking it might be anxiety but I am also wondering if it’s Autism related. Has anyone else ever experienced this before? It’s not pleasant and I’m getting fed up with the pain and lousy feeling now :(

On a happier note though, I’ve patched things up with my mum and we’re talking again :) So I am super happy about that!

Take care everyone.

Sky.

Those symptoms are definitely not related to autism. Unless you've started having a much higher level of anxiety since right before the symptoms started, it's probably not anxiety related either. Even if anxiety makes your symptoms worse, you'd still want to see a doctor since anxiety can make physical medical conditions worse.

That is a very broad area of pains/upset and not what I would call a normal occurance. Really the only way to find out what may be going on is to see a doctor about it. And while I wouldn't delay, I would also not panic as it is likely not life threatening. There are many conditions and syndromes out there that you can fall into physically and as Aspies we may be more prone to some, due to things like anxiety, like you mention. I have run into such things myself starting about at your age. They usually seem a bit frightening at first but once you get it figured out, there may be steps you can take to avoid/minimalize it successfully.

That is excellent that you resolved your differences with your mom.

The pain issue has me worried. Have you considered getting a medical opinion? The only time l get severe pain is stomach flue. Boy - does that hurt. It feels like someone thrust a knife into me sometimes. I have lost my appetite. But if you chat with a nurse or doc- they will ask when do you have this pain. All day? Morning? After you eat? When you go to bed? So be prepared to answer questions. How long has this been happening? They will want to know if you changed your food intake to something new. If you started a new exercise. Are you allergic to something? Are you under considerable duress? Maybe have it checked out.

That is excellent that you resolved your differences with your mom.

The pain issue has me worried. Have you considered getting a medical opinion? The only time l get severe pain is stomach flue. Boy - does that hurt. It feels like someone thrust a knife into me sometimes. I have lost my appetite. But if you chat with a nurse or doc- they will ask when do you have this pain. All day? Morning? After you eat? When you go to bed? So be prepared to answer questions. How long has this been happening? They will want to know if you changed your food intake to something new. If you started a new exercise. Are you allergic to something? Are you under considerable duress? Maybe have it checked out.

Well, at the very least it can often be related to things that arent actual sickness or major medical problems. I can get severe, nearly immobilizing pain if my back/neck flare up. Nerve/tendon crap, is what it is. I've had days where it's so bad that I cant walk.

Mainly I'm bringing this up as I dont want the OP to get alarmed/scared... it's important to approach stuff like this in a rational state of mind. Panic helps nobody.

Though, even if it were to be something like back issues or things of that nature... it's STILL important to get it checked out by a professional, as soon as possible. Only they can tell you how to best keep it at bay, and work to reduce it in the future. I tell ya, that crap doesnt go away if the right steps are not taken. Dont make the mistake I did, and wait to get it checked out until you suddenly end up on the floor, unable to get up. That's not very fun, in my opinion. Neither is crawling up the stairs.

That's all I'm going to say, I now have to go figure out why the keyboard is making my mouse cursor dance.

I have wide spread pain in muscles and joints along with IBS.
I've had every test imaginable and the doctors say I have chronic fibromyalgia that just
doesn't go away due to high anxiety and PTSD.
But, you do need professional exams to determine the cause.
Find out and do take care.

Hi, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to break any rules or seek advice, I was just wanting to get that off of my chest as its been worrying me for a long time. I have spoken to my doctor before about it and he said it was anxiety, but he never actually did any tests, and that was a long time ago now and it feels much worse now. I have thought about calling 111, over here that's a medical helpline number in which they can advise you on whether it's serious or not. I might call them, though I'm scared in case it is just anxiety, I don't want to waste anyone's time:(

And thank you Aspychata :) Things are very good between my mum and I again now. We talk and laugh and have happy days together now.

I have a lot of pains, but not related to autism. I just didn't take care of my body and now, at 41, I'm feeling it. Like misery said, you should really go see a doc if you can.

I have a lot of pains, but not related to autism. I just didn't take care of my body and now, at 41, I'm feeling it. Like misery said, you should really go see a doc if you can.
I’m much younger but I’ve also neglected myself since my dad and sister passed away. I don’t eat enough, I’m not fit enough and mentally I feel like I’m dying. I want to change things, turn my life around but I don’t know how to do all that. I lack the strength and my pains are really dragging me down now.

I don't think it's autism pain--is there such a thing? Stress, anxiety could be part of autism but could also just be anxiety/stress.

It almost sounds like either food poisoning: are you cooking your food properly, in clean pots/pans, clean water, and is the food unspoiled? If that's ok, I'd consider food allergies/intolerances (milk, nuts, gluten, fruits, certain oils, etc) might cause pain after eating.

Or if you're female, could it be pmdd? (more severe form of pms) I've dealt with very difficult periods over many years so it can be really debilitating, way beyond what most women deal with supposedly.

Unfortunately, whenever I've gone to a dr, unless I tell them exactly what I think I have, they just brush it off, which might be why they suggested anxiety to you. And some seem to not give you the "real" diagnosis, but talk in NT code, and since I talk in plain English for the most part, their code is mostly useless to me.

Hi, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to break any rules or seek advice, I was just wanting to get that off of my chest as its been worrying me for a long time. I have spoken to my doctor before about it and he said it was anxiety, but he never actually did any tests, and that was a long time ago now and it feels much worse now. I have thought about calling 111, over here that's a medical helpline number in which they can advise you on whether it's serious or not. I might call them, though I'm scared in case it is just anxiety, I don't want to waste anyone's time:(

You're not wasting anyone's time by calling a doctor or whatever about this sort of thing. I mean, that's EXACTLY what they are there for. But they cant do their job if people dont come and tell them what is wrong. Even if you've already discussed it with one in the past, doing so again is a good idea. There's a difference between symptoms just sort of appearing, and long-term symptoms, after all.

Now, that all being said: Anxiety really can produce those sorts of symptoms. The more anxious you are, the more berserk the problems get. It's just the nature of it. Lots of people have anxiety, and it's one of those things where there's no easy solution... but talking to a medical professional and asking for advice is a good start. Even if it really is anxiety, they may be able to offer some advice to help you mitigate it. A good doctor knows their stuff, but... yeah, they cant help you if you dont talk to them.

Aside from all of that, I do have one bit of advice for you... it's not so much "medical advice", but more of a "you should have been doing this to begin with" kind of thing, and it's something that the vast majority of people dont seem to do.

And it is.... drink water. LOTS of water. When you're dehydrated, it has ALOT of physical effects on you. After all, we rely on water to keep going, so if you're low on that... it affects pretty much everything. That's why, whenever there's a health issue, one thing that doctors will always say is "drink lots of water". But it applies to pretty much anything.

You might find that your mood and such improves drastically, once you get that regimen going.

Note though that there are a couple of conditions... it wont work if done wrong. First, you need to KEEP DOING IT. Even though, at first, it's not likely to do anything other than make you have to use the bathroom alot. Your body needs time to adjust to the new level of intake. But also, there may be some other habits you need to try to get rid of. In particular, drinking alcohol is a big negative. The stuff has only draining and muddling effects, it literally does nothing else at all, so it can be a huge factor in destroying your mood and causing other issues, regardless of how good it might make you feel in the short term. Drinking water is helpful, but... it wont do much if you then do something that cancels out the benefits.

Basically what I'm saying here is... do things that are more healthy. And yeah, I know it sounds like lame advice, but I cant overstate just how much of an effect this can have. I got on a high water regimen myself, and boy did I notice the results (even if it took like 3 weeks for the benefits to kick in). You'd be surprised, at just what it can do. Both physically and mentally.

But dont think that this is any reason NOT to talk to a doctor. Still do that even if you try to up your water intake. The water thing does not replace medical advice from a professional... it's just something you should be doing to begin with.

In the past month I just got a walker and then a wheelchair for the excruciating pain I'm in. I don't take pain pills. I just deal with it. And dealing with it means being scrunched up in bed until I feel better (which may be days).

Ever since I got my wheelchair, life has opened up! I can go anywhere, and do anything. I'm so happy.

I've had daily pains for 10 years due to stress and anxiety. Whilst they have lessened in intensity overall, there still isn't a single day that goes by without some sort of muscular pain, tension or other symptoms. Usually lasting hours at a time - if not all day.

I don't take pain killers so I just ride it out as best as I can.

Ed

I've been on the phone to my doctor and she's coming out to see me at half nine this morning. I'm very scared and worried and feel extremely anxious now :( She sounded concerned on the phone but I'm hoping it will all be ok.

The pain isn't too bad today. Yesterday it was awful, the worst I've known it. I spent most of the day in bed because I couldn't move and I felt sick as well. Today is better. The pain is there but more like an uncomfortable ache that's shifting through my body.

I'm going to write about my pains so I don't have to speak to my doctor. That should mean less stress for me. I'll let you know how it goes :)

Thanks for the support.

Sky.

If tests come back negative and they advise it's stress related you need to accept their diagnosis. It's easier said than done and took me years to do - but it needs to be done.

Symptoms and pains born of stress get worse or are prolonged if you stress about said symptoms. You enter a vicious cycle of worry > pain > more worry > more pain

It's up to you to break that cycle.

Ed

I get stabbing pains in my heart. Which is quite scary. Turns out it is just due to fibralations and my vagus nerve acting up. So I am glad I got it checked out and do not have to worry about it.

My doctor sent me to hospital for tests, it's horrible :confounded::cry:

I have my own room but it's horrible. I keep getting injections and the whole place smells awful.

And I'm still in loads of pain. I feel worse now than I did before.

New Threads

Top Bottom