• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone read the Bible regularly?

mw2530

I am a Christian, but can't say say I have read to Bible regularly. I have read some of the Bible, but it has been a long time since I have read consistently. When I was pretty young, as in a kid, I read the first 7 or 8 books. Recently, I have taken interest in the Book of Acts, and have read a good portion of it. I find it a much easier read than books in the Old Testament. I also find it interesting to read, because it discusses historical events in addition to the early days of Christianity.

The book of Acts is widely accepted by scholars as being written by Luke, who also wrote the Gospel of Luke. The book of Acts primarily tells the story of the apostle Paul as he travels to different cities and tells the story of Jesus to the people. Many scholars also believe Luke was a companion of Paul, and at times traveled with him. Luke is considered a great historian by many scholars. It is thought the book was written in the first Century (the only way Luke could have known Paul personally). This means there is not a whole lot of time between when Jesus lived and when the book was written. This gives it much more credibility and leaves little time for the story to be altered or fabricated. Of course we are to have faith regardless, but I find the historical pieces interesting.

I spent about 3 years studying it, had a great time doing it but don't read it much these days, I t think I just use what I understood from my study time. Some people make a habit of daily or regular reading. The old testament was amazing, i hadnt read it closely b4.

I read it all the way through when I was younger. Now, I just review and reference it a lot.

The order that I recommend?
  1. John
  2. Mark
  3. Luke, and its sequel, Acts (Acts gives a timeline for the rest of the New Testament.)
  4. The remainder of the New Testament (except Matthew & Hebrews)
  5. The Old Testament, from Genesis to Malachi (helps to establish the Hebrew/Jewish mindset)
  6. Matthew (written to the Jewish perspective)
  7. Hebrews
All of the books are good. A lot of the OT is exciting narrative, as well.

As a teenager I figured if I was going to make an informed decision on religions I’d best know what their scriptures actually said. So I read the Bible and the Qur’an. I thought both had great stories and some good life lessons and general guidelines for how not to be a ****** person, but in the end I can confidently say I’m not a religious person.

no but im Christian, no i dont attend church but i believe 100%, i cant perform miracles or anything like that but i believe in it. no i dont preach but i pray for people. (that dont like me for whatever reason.)

When I was a child I read a children's Bible. It seemed to me like a very long and epic storybook, some parts were indeed useful and interesting. I understood that the 'characters' in it were supposedly real people who existed, but I did not take the contents to be all literal truth.

I read the Bible regularly.

Often the text does not make a lot of sense to me, but every now and again a bit does jump out and stick with me.

I am a Christian, but can't say say I have read to Bible regularly. I have read some of the Bible, but it has been a long time since I have read consistently. When I was pretty young, as in a kid, I read the first 7 or 8 books. Recently, I have taken interest in the Book of Acts, and have read a good portion of it. I find it a much easier read than books in the Old Testament. I also find it interesting to read, because it discusses historical events in addition to the early days of Christianity.

The book of Acts is widely accepted by scholars as being written by Luke, who also wrote the Gospel of Luke. The book of Acts primarily tells the story of the apostle Paul as he travels to different cities and tells the story of Jesus to the people. Many scholars also believe Luke was a companion of Paul, and at times traveled with him. Luke is considered a great historian by many scholars. It is thought the book was written in the first Century (the only way Luke could have known Paul personally). This means there is not a whole lot of time between when Jesus lived and when the book was written. This gives it much more credibility and leaves little time for the story to be altered or fabricated. Of course we are to have faith regardless, but I find the historical pieces interesting.
I have The picture bible(it's an old fashioned graphic novel format), as reading is very hard for me, I look at it when I can, never read it from Genesis to Revelation, I read what I can.

I read Bible Stories as a kid. They each had a moral to teach and they were really well written.

I'm not religious but I really enjoyed those books.

On the issue of the intersection of faith and autism I have come across this book.

Spirituality and the Autism Spectrum: Of Falling Sparrows
by Abe Isanon

I am not aware of much that has been written on this area so am glad to see this book. I have ordered it, but it has not arrived yet - so cant say more than that at the moment.
The best churches that I have found for bridging the NT/neurd communications gap has been the USA versions of

I don't, but I took a class in Koinè Greek a few years ago. My professor was mainly skilled in Classical Greek, and we had some interesting discussions about things not usually talked about in the Greek new testament with respect her knowledge of classical. I don't remember very much unfortunately, although one section often quoted as anti-gay was actually pretty clearly referring to temple prostitution. I looked at one of the passages where Jesus curses a fig tree, where the word "monon" describing the tree is translated into English as the indefinite article "a/an." Thing is Greek doesn't have an indefinite article, not even Koinè! So we speculated some about what the adjective monon could be signifying; technically it means one, or lone, or something like that. My professor thought it might be indicative of the tree being harmless and vulnerable, with no other trees for backup (okay, it might sound silly but remember this is a text with a LOT of metaphor in it, so it's a reasonable interpretation). I thought it might be referring to how barren the landscape was. I've thought of getting back into Greek, as I never really completed my education in it. Even Latin, which is what my degree was in, doesn't require fluency for a mere Bachelor's level which is what I reached.

I looked at one of the passages where Jesus curses a fig tree, where the word "monon" describing the tree is translated into English as the indefinite article "a/an." Thing is Greek doesn't have an indefinite article, not even Koinè!
It could function as the indefinite article.

As I recall from high school French, the indefinite article was un or une. "One" (the number) was also un.

Though it would be clunky in English, we could say,
"I read one book," or "I rode one bicycle," instead of,
"I read a book," or "I rode a bicycle."

"One" can be a de facto indefinite article.

Last edited:
I do not. But I believe the Bible should be something that should be accepted as and regarded as a text of valuable importance as an account of human behavior. It's a shame because of its religious aspect that it's widely rejected as a useful reference.

The Bible absolutely shows that human fallibility and weaknesses are innate. We can arrogantly and ignorantly assume otherwise, but the Bible proves that some things about human behavior haven't changed a bit and the likelihood that they ever will is a near impossibility.

Greed, selfishness, brutality, exploitation, lust, delusions of grandeur, power seeking, domination, subjugation of others, self-righteousness, lying, cheating, stealing, rape, murder...the list goes on and on.

^ The above accounts of and examples of the worst of human behavior in the Bible are not exclusive to it being a religious text. The above accounts are not mutually exclusive to the religiousness of the text.

I struggle to understand Old testament, New testament I can understand for the most part. I really enjoy the Psalms and the epistle to the romans. I also noticed the worst of my personal behavior too after reading. Jesus Loves us all :)

I struggle to understand Old testament, New testament I can understand for the most part. I really enjoy the Psalms and the epistle to the romans. I also noticed the worst of my personal behavior too after reading. Jesus Loves us all :)
Try the picture bible by Andre le blanc and iva Hoth

New Threads

Top Bottom