• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone here use python?

BrokenBoy

戯言使い(Nonsense User)
I want to make a text adventure game, and I chose to use pygame.

Does have experience with Python? I'm a noob and don't really know what to do. Whenever I try to start it up I get a command prompt, which looks different from how python looks in tutorial videos:
Did I download the wrong thing?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by starting up and getting a command prompt. Are you trying to install Pygame? Have you taken a look at the GettingStarted wiki?

I'm not familiar with Pygame, but I think the better thing to do would be to learn Python from the beginning instead of jumping right into making a game. That's just my two cents.

Oh my gosh what a stroke of luck! I'm a python programmer too! We're twinsies :p

I've been struggling with it, unfortunately. I use a program called Thonny to write my programs, but being autistic sometimes I can't jog my memory of this darn syntax.

Dont even bother with that video there. Making a game of ANY sort, that's waaaaayyyyyyy past the starting line.

Also from what I'm seeing of it this isnt even REALLY a tutorial video. It's more just "here I'm doing this project let's follow along".

I dont use Python but there are a lot of concepts that are pretty much universal when it comes to starting out with coding. "Dont try to make a game yet" and "find tutorials that dont suck" are two of the big ones.

Also "expect it to take a seriously obscene amount of time to learn" is another. If you're looking to try and make games, that's likely weeks if not months away, considering what you have to learn first. And even then, whatever you make at that point will be incredibly simple.

As for what you need to download, you need a good text editor that has all the relevant functions (I always used Notepad++ for everything, with the coding-type stuff I've done, it can indeed be used for Python but I believe it requires a plugin for that).

And then you also need whatever is necessary to compile the programs once they're ready. I dont know how Python specifically works with that bit.

But first... look for less terrible tutorials. Not "projects" that are just watch-alongs. They'll answer ALL of these questions, really...

Dont even bother with that video there. Making a game of ANY sort, that's waaaaayyyyyyy past the starting line.

Also from what I'm seeing of it this isnt even REALLY a tutorial video. It's more just "here I'm doing this project let's follow along".

I dont use Python but there are a lot of concepts that are pretty much universal when it comes to starting out with coding. "Dont try to make a game yet" and "find tutorials that dont suck" are two of the big ones.

Also "expect it to take a seriously obscene amount of time to learn" is another. If you're looking to try and make games, that's likely weeks if not months away, considering what you have to learn first. And even then, whatever you make at that point will be incredibly simple.

As for what you need to download, you need a good text editor that has all the relevant functions (I always used Notepad++ for everything, with the coding-type stuff I've done, it can indeed be used for Python but I believe it requires a plugin for that).

And then you also need whatever is necessary to compile the programs once they're ready. I dont know how Python specifically works with that bit.

But first... look for less terrible tutorials. Not "projects" that are just watch-alongs. They'll answer ALL of these questions, really...
Damn, I feel stupid. I can't believe I underestimated everything.

Damn, I feel stupid. I can't believe I underestimated everything.

Honestly LOTS of people underestimate what goes into making a game, particularly with a "base" programming language (though Python is not NEARLY as hard as some others, namely C++). I've got a bit of dev experience (bullet hell genre) and believe me... it's tough.

But! Game design isnt necessarily a bunch of coding of the sort you're thinking of!

Here, have a look at this:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-tools-to-create-your-own-text-adventure-games/

These are very specialized tools specifically for making things like text adventures. You wouldnt be able to use these to make, say, a platformer. I suggest having a look at some of these, and see what happens.

There are actually quite a few non-coding methods of making games in general. And it's not all just simplistic stuff, either. You know of Five Nights at Freddy's, I'm sure. Well, that was created with Clickteam Fusion (though it had a different name back when he made the original, I cant remember what that name was though). Zero coding. None. That development tool doesnt have it, and doesnt need it. It's actually an evolution of a rather ancient program called Klik & Play (a very, very drastic evolution). I had that as a kid, and even despite being a kid, it was easy enough for me to make a platformer or whatever out of it. Complete with bosses spraying bullets all over the place because I just couldnt resist doing that even back then. That was over 20 years ago... yeah, it's come a LONG way.

If a kid can use something like that to make a game, PARTICULARLY way back then (when things werent even close to as user friendly as they are now), well, really anyone can make something with tools like these if they want.

The options available for development have come such a long way. If you find yourself interested in making other things, I'd suggest looking around for more such tools. You can do any genre, really. Simply searching on Google for things like "game making without coding" will bring up all sorts of options.

Just avoid Unity. It's said to be able to do games without coding, but... that's not REALLY how it's designed, more of a screwball side thing.

Hm, it sounds like you might do with something a little less specialized then.

Have a look at:

Gamemaker Studio
Godot
Construct 3
Stencyl

Those are just a few that come to mind. There are many others. Some free. Some pricey as heck.

Pros: You can create something less restricted, even with graphical elements (like a full UI) if you want. Tools like these dont really HAVE restrictions.
Cons: Will be harder to learn. BECAUSE they're not restricted, their features are not focused, and you'll have to get creative in using their features to produce exactly what you want, and that can be confusing when you're starting out. Also tutorials will certainly NOT be focused on the type of game you're after. More generalized stuff, but that's fine.

And yes, people HAVE made text adventure games using stuff like this. Even though these programs are usually used for, well, stuff that isnt text adventures. Like I said, there really arent any restrictions other than your own ability and knowledge.

But, I *very* strongly suggest starting small. Whatever big project you have in mind: shelve it for now. You wont pull it off yet. Even without coding, there's plenty to learn. It's just much EASIER to learn (and look at). But you gotta start small and make simple things first, and then iterate on those. There's no avoiding that part... no program or tool can allow you to just jump straight to the bigger projects. Not without going utterly mad in the process, anyway.

Hm, it sounds like you might do with something a little less specialized then.

Have a look at:

Gamemaker Studio
Godot
Construct 3
Stencyl

Those are just a few that come to mind. There are many others. Some free. Some pricey as heck.

Pros: You can create something less restricted, even with graphical elements (like a full UI) if you want. Tools like these dont really HAVE restrictions.
Cons: Will be harder to learn. BECAUSE they're not restricted, their features are not focused, and you'll have to get creative in using their features to produce exactly what you want, and that can be confusing when you're starting out. Also tutorials will certainly NOT be focused on the type of game you're after. More generalized stuff, but that's fine.

And yes, people HAVE made text adventure games using stuff like this. Even though these programs are usually used for, well, stuff that isnt text adventures. Like I said, there really arent any restrictions other than your own ability and knowledge.

But, I *very* strongly suggest starting small. Whatever big project you have in mind: shelve it for now. You wont pull it off yet. Even without coding, there's plenty to learn. It's just much EASIER to learn (and look at). But you gotta start small and make simple things first, and then iterate on those. There's no avoiding that part... no program or tool can allow you to just jump straight to the bigger projects. Not without going utterly mad in the process, anyway.
This is some solid advice. Thanks.

New Threads

Top Bottom