1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone here have a trauma and stressor related disorder that ISN'T PTSD?

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by BrokenBoy, Jan 16, 2020.

1. BrokenBoy

BrokenBoy 戯言使い(Nonsense User)

So it's well known that there is probably a connection between Autism and PTSD. But I wonder if there's a connection between other trauma and stressor related disorders as described in the diagnostic and statistical manual like Adjustment Disorders or Reactive Attachment Disorder or if there's only a connection with Autism and PTSD and none of the other conditions in this category.

Does anyone here have one of these comorbid diagnoses?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Streetwise

Streetwise very cautious contributor V.I.P Member

yes but it stems from hormone changes

4. Ken S.

Ken S. Dog Cookie King V.I.P Member

Since Adjustment Disorder is usually a "short term" problem I'm not sure how it applies to ND vs NT. Yes it took me a few years to get over losing a finger and it took a long time to adjust to the fact that I will never be able to work again from problems unrelated to my finger that occurred over ten years later (Still get frustrated over it after 12 years) but I think an NT would have pretty much the same basic reaction to such life changing events. In fact I have known a few NT's that died shortly after retirement by their own hand because they couldn't stand not being able to work anymore.

5. Streetwise

Streetwise very cautious contributor V.I.P Member

I understand what you mean but probably neurotypicals get everything like that the difference is how we perceive it to us it is very intense

6. Pats

Pats Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Some 'disorders' are genetic and from physical causes (such as autism). Others are caused by environmental factors (such as PTSD). Those things caused by environmental factors could/would affect any NT or ND. I do agree with @Streetwise , in that we are prone to PTSD because the way we perceive things are very intense. I think it's also harder for us to let go of things because it's harder for us to control our thinking.