• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone here ever Skype?

OkRad

μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος οὐλομένην
V.I.P Member
I am not saying I would, but I wonder if anyone Skypes?

I did for about a semester, but it's something I really dislike. Most people I know insist on having video calls; I don't want to see them as they talk (too much information going on + sometimes image and sound don't travel at the same speed, and that is all I can focus on), and I certainly don't want to show myself. It was always so hard to get friends to understand that they can't insist on me turning on the camera that I just uninstalled it and ended communications. Couldn't deal with the pressure.

On the other hand, you can call me Whatsapp Queen (err... the text message part only, obviously, not the calls).

Yeah, those are my concerns. First, having to be trapped there as people talk on and on and you are stuck. On the phone, you can get up and do stuff. I have serious HD.

I dislike voice chat as a whole, and only use skype when talking to people across the world. Used skype and teamspeak when I was a hardcore raider and guild officer in World of Warcraft, so I could communicate with my raid team and chat with the officers, but that was mostly out of necessity because chat wasn't fast enough.
Other than that I used skype to talk to my sister when she was traveling the world, and to talk to my fling in South Africa while that lasted.

These days I'm glad most people I talk to (including my parents) have embraced Whatsapp so I can just text text text as much as my little heart desires.

I tried Skype once and I strongly disliked it. Text or email works fine for me as I also hate phone calls and keep calls to a minimum, if I answer at all which is very rare.

I’ve connected through Google+ with someone on here. It’s pretty much the same type of thing as Skype.

I have used it to communicate with family members overseas or with a partner when one of us was away. I find it useful if you want to show people stuff whilst talking. Also I prefer face to face rather than phone or text because there is less opportunity for misunderstanding.

I use Skype to talk to my Mum. It also means she can see her grandchildren, because we live 200 miles apart she doesn't get to see them regularly.

I have used it to communicate with family members overseas or with a partner when one of us was away. I find it useful if you want to show people stuff whilst talking. Also I prefer face to face rather than phone or text because there is less opportunity for misunderstanding.
I agree with this to an extent. Face to face can make me really uncomfortable but at the same time it is a lot less likely something will get misconstrued.

I did for about a semester, but it's something I really dislike. Most people I know insist on having video calls; I don't want to see them as they talk (too much information going on + sometimes image and sound don't travel at the same speed, and that is all I can focus on), and I certainly don't want to show myself. It was always so hard to get friends to understand that they can't insist on me turning on the camera that I just uninstalled it and ended communications. Couldn't deal with the pressure.

On the other hand, you can call me Whatsapp Queen (err... the text message part only, obviously, not the calls).

The last meeting i went to someone was joining via Skype-

I said ' urrgh. I dont want to see peoples faces'

I've used Skype once or twice a long time ago, then I found Discord last year and have never looked back.

It's pretty much the same thing as Skype only better, and unlimited free chatting servers are nice.. it's catered around gaming though, you can text chat or voice, even video calling.

But anyway, I feel l'm rambling here. I guess my point here is yes I've used it.

I use it as a phone, when the phone won't work, and only when a situation absolutely requires talking. I turn the video part off.

Talking is bad enough. Having to see and be seen: well, I really just do not want to do that.

I used to, back when I had a Windows PC.

And I have the Skype app on Xbox but I never use it (good job it's free then)

Yes, I use Skype for work, as I am a freelance online language tutor. Every day, for hours. It has advantages and disadvantages.

The advantage is that looking at someone on Skype is a bit like watching TV and I don't have the needing to make eye contact issue, that I would have face to face. Also, I can fidget, doodle or whatever discreetly, because the other person only sees the top part of my body. I find the full screen video image of the person overwhelming, so I minimize it and put it in the corner of my screen. It helps.

The disadvantage is that it has all sorts of bugs - or the hardware used, the microphone or camera have bugs, and aren't always reliable. Microphones often pick up even faint background noise, which makes communication difficult and is uncomfortable due to my sound sensitivity.

Skype isn't the best service available, but I use it because I need to have a service which most of my students have and can use - they are often reluctant to download or use something more obscure that isn't familiar to them.

New Threads

Top Bottom