• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone get super awkward when you hang out with friend for first time?

Jena

I know it's probably not just me and I know there are probally other discussions out there, but today I was hanging out with my new friend I made. And I couldn't stop being so awkward. From accidentally showing my undergarments accidentally in my closet because my mind was in lala land to showing her a old family video that just so happened to be embarrassing to just stumbling and repeating the same phrase "so yeah" over and over again. Like I know I am doing these awkward things but I just can't seem to stop it. Anyone else relate to being this awkward on first hangout?

Yep awkward thing happens with me when meeting someone. I would either not know what to say when someone wants to be my friend or I would say something idiotic when I didn’t mean to such as talking about an interest that the person would not like at all but I keep talking about it anyway; also saying something totally random that was not meant to happen and the person looks at all weird and such.
I usually have people talk to me first since I suck at starting a conversation not knowing what that person wants to talk about.
As much as that worries me sometimes that I myself felt awkward in a social situation I just let it pass by and try not let it hurt me at all.

Last edited:
tons of people are shy and awkward, so it isn't 'abnormal', i just wouldn't call someone a friend until i am comfortable with them and trust them, until then you are getting to know them and it's not weird to act the way you described, it's just being nervous :)

YES!

I was invited out with a couple to go to a funeral. My husband had to work and I do not drive and this couple volunteered to take me there, which meant being in their car for an hour and then, after going for a bite to eat at their expense.

At first, it was running smoothly, as I knew what topic to talk about that would make the conversation flow, but at some point and I suppose it was me feeling more at ease, I suddenly said my name and the lady shares my name, but it was obvious I was talking about me, but for some inane reason, I went on a tangent that of course I meant me etc etc etc and to give them credit, they did not react with any sort of eyes raised, but I would not have blamed them if they had; I felt stupid.

When we were having sandwiches, once again, I felt awkward and afraid that food was on my face and so, my tissue got used a lot and I was trying to be as delicate as possible, whilst feeling VERY clumsy and horror of horrors, as we got up to go, I had a struggle to get past the table ( I am not big; but neither am I slim sadly) and I was about to walk away and looked again and it was like beacons pointing to my phone that I had dropped. Now, all I had to say is that it is rather difficult for me to bend, would the lady pick the phone up? But no, I decided to be "clever" and struggled to pick it up. I know that I went red and that I made a spectacle of myself, but it was like: I had to get that phone! Again, the lady did not walk away and I said that I was sorry for being so clumsy.

I was also explaining something and stuttered and forgot words and spitting and dribbling.

This is me with those I do not feel comfortable around and without my husband.

Could die of mortification, because it does not show the real me.

Yes, I have social anxiety and find it very awkward and difficult. I run out of things to say and find it hard to keep the conversation going. I rely too much on the other person to find things to say.

Yes, definitely. I think it's a mix of my social anxiety and my autism that causes it. I only feel comfortable when i am in full control of my environment (I can choose where i go, what i eat, what i wear, etc) and i learn to manage social interactions in one environment, on a certain schedule (Meet a girl for lunch everyday at school at the same time) When one of those factors are shifted (Was on a field trip for the whole day with the same girl) i shunned that person as much as i could because i had no idea how to interact with them. This always happens to me when i hang out at a friend from school's house (i do a lot of more awkward than normal things because idk what to do.) Maybe try keeping a consistent schedule in the future, and establish topics both of you want to talk about or activities to do in the future? Idk, my friend is really chatty and always tries to get us to talk so that may help too.

Yep awkward thing happens with me when meeting someone. I would either not know what to say when someone wants to be my friend or I would say something idiotic when I didn’t mean to such as talking about an interest that the person would not like at all but I keep talking about it anyway; also saying something totally random that was not meant to happen and the person looks at all weird and such.
I usually have people talk to me first since I suck at starting a conversation not knowing what that person wants to talk about.
As much as that worries me sometimes that I myself felt awkward in a social situation I just let it pass by and try not let it hurt me at all.

tons of people are shy and awkward, so it isn't 'abnormal', i just wouldn't call someone a friend until i am comfortable with them and trust them, until then you are getting to know them and it's not weird to act the way you described, it's just being nervous :)

Yes, definitely. I think it's a mix of my social anxiety and my autism that causes it. I only feel comfortable when i am in full control of my environment (I can choose where i go, what i eat, what i wear, etc) and i learn to manage social interactions in one environment, on a certain schedule (Meet a girl for lunch everyday at school at the same time) When one of those factors are shifted (Was on a field trip for the whole day with the same girl) i shunned that person as much as i could because i had no idea how to interact with them. This always happens to me when i hang out at a friend from school's house (i do a lot of more awkward than normal things because idk what to do.) Maybe try keeping a consistent schedule in the future, and establish topics both of you want to talk about or activities to do in the future? Idk, my friend is really chatty and always tries to get us to talk so that may help too.

Same I get stuck cause I really do not know what to say, so I either keep quiet and just nod or keep repeating exactly the same sentence or I repeat what other people say and my brother finds this annoying but it's my way of agreeing with people... My parents honestly do not help in these cases cause instead of helping they criticize me making me feel even more awkward around my friends. Like okay I was showing my new friend around my house. And my dad thought I shouldn't do that, because it makes me look like I am showing off... but It was my friend's first time at my house so I wanted her to have a tour. And just like how I was showing her old family videos my dad again said I shouldn't do that, because "who wants to watch old family videos.". I then got so awkward I even turned off the family video cause I felt bad. My dad knows I have Asperger's yet he continues to just make me feel more awkward. The good news though, my friends do like being around me, and all know I do have Asperger's. Plus my new friend is very laid back so that's very good :). And to that last quote, I do try that a lot. But the issue is my friends don't know what to do either and they always want me to pick it. I even ask my friends when they are over "what do you wanna do." They always say "I don't know." So then it's even harder cause my friends don't even know what to do when they are over. Woah this got long, I tend to rant alot. Also my eyes are kind of bothering me right now I don't know why so that's why I made my paragraph bold because it's easier to see for me.

Same I get stuck cause I really do not know what to say, so I either keep quiet and just nod or keep repeating exactly the same sentence or I repeat what other people say and my brother finds this annoying but it's my way of agreeing with people... My parents honestly do not help in these cases cause instead of helping they criticize me making me feel even more awkward around my friends. Like okay I was showing my new friend around my house. And my dad thought I shouldn't do that, because it makes me look like I am showing off... but It was my friend's first time at my house so I wanted her to have a tour. And just like how I was showing her old family videos my dad again said I shouldn't do that, because "who wants to watch old family videos.". I then got so awkward I even turned off the family video cause I felt bad. My dad knows I have Asperger's yet he continues to just make me feel more awkward. The good news though, my friends do like being around me, and all know I do have Asperger's. Plus my new friend is very laid back so that's very good :). And to that last quote, I do try that a lot. But the issue is my friends don't know what to do either and they always want me to pick it. I even ask my friends when they are over "what do you wanna do." They always say "I don't know." So then it's even harder cause my friends don't even know what to do when they are over. Woah this got long, I tend to rant alot. Also my eyes are kind of bothering me right now I don't know why so that's why I made my paragraph bold because it's easier to see for me.
I think that’s just the way parents are knowing they do care for you but make it kind of awkward at the same time. My mom she kind of does make me feel awkward at times without her realizing it but do I care nah but it annoys me a little. My grandparents on the other hand love to treat me like I’m still a little kid especially since I just came home from my first year of college. Having your parents make you feel awkward sometimes is not always a bad thing knowing that in my opinion it means they really care and support in what you do. Same as you though I wouldn’t like the awkwardness around my friends either even though that had happened but it doesn’t bother me that much though cause smile seen other parents who make their kids feel more awkward in worse ways than in my experience and what you were describing.
Also not knowing what to do with your friends is a common thing I have trouble with too. However i have a few friends who love fishing so it takes a few seconds in what we want to do. Other than that I would have no clue.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom