• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone feel "psychic"?

Moonhart44

V.I.P Member
as a result of autism?

I dont mean literally. i mean do you feel unusually empathetic, unusually connected to your mirror neurons, or even more aware of positive and negative correlations associated with human behavior, to the point where you can just look at a picture, and tell what kind of person they are? are you so attentive that you notice micro aggressions while others dont? Can you "sense" when a person is coming from the heart, and they are "good"?

I feel like this is a benefit of autism. I have felt this many times, and read autistic peoples can be more empathetic (ironic and maybe paradoxical since we are also (tend to be rather) not so good at recognizing emotions at the same time)

high sensitivity is part of autism, yes. i can feel other from across the street sometimes, very weird i know. like are they wanting to work or just feel lazy. you know?

high sensitivity is part of autism, yes. i can feel other from across the street sometimes, very weird i know. like are they wanting to work or just feel lazy. you know?
yes. i have alos this thing where i can tell when someone is watchin me when i am sleeping. whenever i had a partner try to come in my house as a surprise, or take a sneak sleep pic, i just go -_- O_O and scare them haha

I feel like I get a sense of people very quickly. I try to go with my gut wherever possible, as my instinctive reaction often serves me best. But I overthink a lot, and when I reflect back on when things went wrong, almost every time I realise my gut reaction was correct, and I simply overruled it. I often feel like I'd have been good at interviewing people for jobs - because I find it easy to tell good people from bad.

Also have a real tendency to say exactly what someone is thinking at the time. It's often thoughts completed unrelated to the setting we're in. Having been with my partner for over 5 years I feel like we're syncing better than ever. Not only do I say what she's thinking on a daily basis, but she's doing the same thing with me too. It's nice to have that sort of compatibility.

The main issue I have is people who I know aren't nice, but they seem to get away with it - especially in workplaces. It feels like managers and HR don't intervene or get rid of the most toxic and destructive elements to teams and offices. I suppose in this day and age, it's probably increasingly harder to fire someone without due cause and multiple written or verbal warnings.

I pick up on atmospheres very quickly as well, if there's an unease or hostile atmosphere, I feel like I'm dragged into it and it often overwhelms me mentally and physically.

I'm good at mirroring others, I guess it comes from masking so much, and also being a compulsive liar when I was a child. I find it rather effortless to mirror people's mannerisms and thoughts and feelings. I think this is why over the years, in every place I've worked everyone says I'm such a nice person - because I can mirror exactly how people act and think.

Still - mirroring doesn't exactly feel satisfying. I'd rather be myself than adapt to others, but it's all part of the fawn response - pleasing others and forgoing my own needs and wants, in a bid to prevent any potential friction or hostility.

Ed

i had a problem with lying as a kid as well. i do not like when i sense someone is anxious or angry, because then i am anxious or angry, and i avoid them, and it causes the miscommunication that i dont like that person, when im trying to avoid mirroring their feelings and thus taking it out on them.

i have had many situations when i doubted my intution, or gave them the benefit of the doubt, but ive also been a watcher. i have these feelings and watch the person and see them unfold. i defintely feel nowadays i am going to trust myself more because its just too disappointing when u dont haha

Generally yes, I typically know what others are thinking at any given time.

While I dont work these days, back when I used to, this talent was used to get jobs.

Basically, if I got an interview at all, the job was mine. Why? Because I knew *exactly* what the interviewer wanted to hear, despite that they all want to hear different things.

No, I dont know how it works, and frankly dont care much. It is what it is.

It is not being psychic... but When I form a connection with someone who is very much like me (only met several). I can feel them through the connection. I feel their distress and sometime memories. I am too scientific on everything else but this does seem to happen.

I am thinking that it is a result of my hyper-contextual mind. I can actually sense things in others that most people can't. I am also very sensitive being ASD... but never fragile.

Today ended up being a hard day... I wonder if anyone can feel me down the connections I have or I am the only one who senses this.

Sure, I'm a Psy Chick. I liked Gagnam Style when it came out. Well, that was until I learned the lyrics weren't "Happy Gundam Style".

It's a mixed bag for me. Trauma can interfere with your ability to read people. Also, it's hard to verify. You can think you KNOW what that lady down the way is thinking, but you can't know unless you ask her. I've been so wrong at times that it's been downright humiliating. Other times, bang on.

Before trauma, I was good at at least protecting myself. I could at least sense SAFE and NOT SAFE. Now, the guy with a chain saw knocks on the door and asks if he can borrow a few knives and my bathroom and I am like, "SURE!"

I often don't pick up directly on things like micro-aggressions or subtle facial expressions or body language when interacting with a person, but I can pick up on tension or a bad or good atmosphere when observing. It saved me from a mugging once. A bad atmosphere can be overwhelming and difficult to cope with.

i had a problem with lying as a kid as well. i do not like when i sense someone is anxious or angry, because then i am anxious or angry, and i avoid them, and it causes the miscommunication that i dont like that person, when im trying to avoid mirroring their feelings and thus taking it out on them.

Is THAT why anxious/upset people make me angry? I always figured it was something like that but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I know they make me feel upset myself and then I get angry. (Or at the very least feel incredibly awkward because I don't know what to do in the situation, which in turn makes me angry.)

It's a mixed bag for me. Trauma can interfere with your ability to read people. Also, it's hard to verify. You can think you KNOW what that lady down the way is thinking, but you can't know unless you ask her. I've been so wrong at times that it's been downright humiliating. Other times, bang on.

Yep...I've recently learned that I'm better at reading people than I thought I was - I've spent years being gaslit by various people and so I had been trained quite well to believe that my sense that something was wrong was a sign of mental illness and not a sign that something was wrong. So if I felt uncomfortable around a person/situation, I would immediately blame my anxiety disorders instead of getting out of the situation.

It took getting badly hurt (and subsequently realizing what happened) to kick that one to the curb. Since then I've been paying close attention and I've realized that my "gut feeling" is rarely wrong, although I may not understand what it's about until a good deal of time later. I just hold onto the feeling and figure I'll understand in time what it's about and I do.

I also agree completely about not being able to verify most of this. I have no idea how 'in tune' I am with a lot of people, without directly asking them and without them telling me, how the heck would I know? It's the same with missed social cues. I assume I miss a bunch, based on how some social interactions go, but if I'm missing it, how the heck am I supposed to know about it? I can't know unless someone tells me. If I knew about it, I wouldn't have missed it in the first place.

My hypothesis is that we pick up on little things that no one else does (one person here...I think it was Autistamatic but I'm not sure at this point...put forth the idea that we pick up on a vast amount more social information than others do. As a result, we're overwhelmed and don't know what to do with it all). This can lead to us having seemingly really good instincts about people but paradoxically missing the obvious or intended social cues.

Tania Marshall suggested that autistic woman often seem "psychic" (she seemed to mean it more literally but I don't really believe in psychic and think that the more logical explanation is that we pick up on small things that others don't).

Sometimes, when I hear a baby/little kid crying in public, I also feel upset. Like, please somebody console that child.

I am also likely to feel the same emotions of others around me.

Face to face? Not so much, though I have improved quite a bit. It got put to the test with a recent situation at work which is all I'll say. I'm definitely picking up on a lot more now than I used to, but it's still a work in progress.

Online, when it comes to just text and people without any cues to process (and no filter, which makes it MUCH easier), is another story.

There's still room for error, but with enough practice I could give Miss Cleo a run for her money and make a fortune as a psychic. Or not.

Is THAT why anxious/upset people make me angry? I always figured it was something like that but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I know they make me feel upset myself and then I get angry. (Or at the very least feel incredibly awkward because I don't know what to do in the situation, which in turn makes me angry.)

yeh i just chuck it to that. i have had even incidences when the person has come out and admitted they have an anxiety disorder, and im like, yeh i can tell.

i am not a scientist, so i am not for SURE about that idea, but it feels correct

yeh i just chuck it to that. i have had even incidences when the person has come out and admitted they have an anxiety disorder, and im like,

It is not being psychic... but When I form a connection with someone who is very much like me (only met several). I can feel them through the connection. I feel their distress and sometime memories. I am too scientific on everything else but this does seem to happen.

I am thinking that it is a result of my hyper-contextual mind. I can actually sense things in others that most people can't. I am also very sensitive being ASD... but never fragile.

Today ended up being a hard day... I wonder if anyone can feel me down the connections I have or I am the only one who senses this.
Sometimes i wonder about this, but i am often isolated so i think, to who would i have this connection? why do i feel like there is someone out there that i am connected to on an emotional level?

Don't want to say psychic but l can sense set ups, people set you up for something. l am getting better at picking up that vibe. Getting better at reading traffic patterns. If l get a really bad feeling about something sometimes l follow it. Sometimes l don't . There are defintely other weird things that make me scratch my head alot. I have done perfectly random things at random times and conveniently screwed up a lot of people at the most opportune time. But thats more dish right back what the universe hands you on any given day, it's turned into a game for me.

Last edited:
Don't want to say psychic but l can sense set ups, people set you up for something. l am getting better at picking up that vibe. Getting better at reading traffic patterns. If l get a really bad feeling about something sometimes l follow it. Sometimes l don't . There are defintely other weird things that make me scratch my head alot.
Yeah. I can tell when I'm being set up when the vibe doesn't sit well with me. My insight is getting better, apparently. I am getting better at picking up on those moments when something is sketchy.

New Threads

Top Bottom