• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone else have overloads of this nature?

Ken S.

Dog Cookie King
V.I.P Member
I have overloads on an almost daily basis, however once in a while (Once every month or two) I have one that I can feel gradually building for two to three days and once that scale tips I have an overload that triggers my trigeminal neuralgia and mimics a stroke. I have been to the emergency room when these first started but was always told "It is a migraine". I have massive difficulty with brain function. The whole left side of my body goes weak, numb yet feels like my skin is crawling. Movement feels like struggling in neck deep water while trying to do anything and it takes me three to seven days to recover form it. I has one yesterday and just writing this took all my concentration and about thirty minutes to put my jumbled thoughts into words.

I have the trigeminal neuralgia. Mine is caused from the trigeminal nerve in the very upper part of my neck and anything can trigger it, including stress and tension. I've spent nearly a month in pain and able to do nothing but sit and hold the left side of my face. This is what took year for me to convey to my doctors and no one wanted to help me. I finally was sent to a pain clinic and that doctor put me on Trilpetal and it controls it for the most part. It's an antiseizure medication, but it's a very low dose. It slows nerve impulses. It still bothers me a lot, but not nearly like before.
I had a severe attack driving home from Charlotte once - I couldn't even tell if I had an eye and was afraid it may have been a stroke. That's when I became determined that I was going to find someone to do something because it had gotten so bad and so frequent I couldn't take it anymore and just wanted to die.
I hope you find relief soon, because it can be incapacitating.

Kind of but there is no numbness or weakness (only profound loss of coordination and the massive difficulty with brain function) and it never lasts very long -- it will start to lift in a matter of hours (once I am away from whatever has caused the overload) and by the next day I am back to normal.

I can feel them coming on, but the ramp-up happens quickly -- over hours -- and I can interrupt the shutdown if I catch it and quickly escape the source of the overload early enough.

Have doctors ever checked to make sure you are not having partial seizures? (They can cause numbness and weakness on one side of the body, as well as altered mental states -- there's also a phenomenon called post-ictal paresis that can last for days after a seizure.)

Last edited:
I have overloads on an almost daily basis, however once in a while (Once every month or two) I have one that I can feel gradually building for two to three days and once that scale tips I have an overload that triggers my trigeminal neuralgia and mimics a stroke. I have been to the emergency room when these first started but was always told "It is a migraine". I have massive difficulty with brain function. The whole left side of my body goes weak, numb yet feels like my skin is crawling. Movement feels like struggling in neck deep water while trying to do anything and it takes me three to seven days to recover form it. I has one yesterday and just writing this took all my concentration and about thirty minutes to put my jumbled thoughts into words.
I don't get exactly what you get! but it's just as bad ,it starts let's say every month !but it's been really bad in my 47 and 48 years, to the point that I feel suicidal .
it decided this time to involve the whole of my torso but I wouldn't tell my doctor after you have been diagnosed with any mental illness that is the only explanation they will ever agree with .

I just have constant meltdowns. Like, on a daily basis. I try my hardest to try and manage it, but I don't know how. It's awful.

I don't get anything as severe, but I had a shutdown a few years back that I didn't/couldn't speak to anyone for about 2 weeks. That's about as severe as it gets for me.

Have doctors ever checked to make sure you are not having partial seizures? (They can cause numbness and weakness on one side of the body, as well as altered mental states -- there's also a phenomenon called post-ictal paresis that can last for days after a seizure.)
Epilepsy was the first thing that was (mis)diagnosed and later ruled out. I spent a full week with more wires attached to my head than a Borg. Then I was checked for MS and Parkinson's.

New Threads

Top Bottom