• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

does anyone else have an Astronomy Special insterest?

Yesss. I have both a Celestron C8 and a 90 ED refractor. This fall and winter I hope to start doing some astrophotography. Like doing my underwater photography I expect a very steep learning curve. But I have had some good results very simply. Here is one from 2017 when I went to the Tetons to observe the solar eclipse. Here is it at the instant before totality, 500 mm mirror on a mirrorless camera (effective focal length of 1,000 mm). You can even see a solar flare on the side opposite from the "diamond ring."
FB_IMG_1514587686411.jpg

I am in love with astronomy and especially space weather. I like learning about the sun and moon and how they affect the earth.

Can't remember a time when I didn't have an astronomy interest.

I've been into astronomy since 1995. I have a 25cm dobsonian telescope. My avatar shows the Southern Cross and the pointer stars.

I've seen two total eclipses of the sun. Ceduna in South Australia in December 4, 2002 and Port Douglas, Queensland on November 14, 2012. Both were unforgettable events.

I love looking at the stars, and am fascinated by space and rockets. But I’m no good at math and physics would be way beyond me. I got the music side instead. But I can certainly appreciate the beauty.

Not too impressed with constellations. people with over active imaginations. no basis in science.

I guess constellations are a mix of stars of different types and ages that aren't necessarily related to each other , is that what you mean?

That was me as a kid but time and futility beat it out of me. Today I follow certain astronomy channels on Youtube but that kind of content availability has only been around for a decade or so. It hasn't been a driving passion since I realized it was never going to happen as a career back in high school.

Yesss. I have both a Celestron C8 and a 90 ED refractor. This fall and winter I hope to start doing some astrophotography. Like doing my underwater photography I expect a very steep learning curve. But I have had some good results very simply. Here is one from 2017 when I went to the Tetons to observe the solar eclipse. Here is it at the instant before totality, 500 mm mirror on a mirrorless camera (effective focal length of 1,000 mm). You can even see a solar flare on the side opposite from the "diamond ring."
View attachment 70690
You are now my new hero

I was very much into it in my mid to late twenties. I was not making much money at the time so all I could afford was a basic refracting telescope from Sears for about $300. It came with 5 objective lenses, a Barlow lens, a lens for terrestrial viewing, and a support tripod, all of it packed into a carrying case.

I spent a great deal of time using it, until I was away for a job and someone broke in; stealing all of the objective lenses, but leaving the telescope on its support tripod and the Barlow lens. Evidently they were too stupid to figure out how to collapse the tripod.

That rather sucked the life out of my active participation in astronomy. I still have the telescope in storage (minus its objective lenses), but have never found the time to hunt up replacements for the object lenses, as well as the time to indulge. However, I still have an active interest in celestial objects both hear and far.

I'd like to get into it more; so far I just have a few Astronomy magazines, and painted (digitally) a space scene back in March.

There's a book at the bookstore here about different Nebulae I'd like to get if I go there again, but life's getting chaotic again, so it'll likely be put on hold for a while.

I used to, when I was a child. That was the time before the internet, so I bought books on the subject or got books from the library. I memorised stuff like the magitude of stars, their distance, names, location, category and longed for a telescope, wanted to study astronomy and become an astronomer. Now it's more an interest than what one would call a 'special interest' - I'm interested in the science and gladly read on the subject. We have a couple of telescopes, both a refractor and reflector, but don't use them much - it's difficult where we live to reach an area without light pollution.

I guess constellations are a mix of stars of different types and ages that aren't necessarily related to each other , is that what you mean?
It is just people seeing imaginary pics animals etc. no real science behind it. Took astonomy course once as an elective, not impressed with this being part of the course any more than if alchemy was taught in a chemistry course

New Threads

Top Bottom