• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone else dislike, hate or fear being photographed?

Do you dislike, hate or fear being photographed?

• Total voters

SusAssasins

Hi again, fellas.

Quick introduction to state a clear context related to my question. *Skip this paragraph if you want*
Since I was a kid I didn't felt quite comfortable about the idea of being photographed, it felt weird, and it was something I wasn't willing to do but, as I was a little child, most of the time they caught me with the guard down or forced me to smile and look at the camera. As an adult, I still find it uncomfortable to smile and look at the camera, although I do take photographs of myself without much of a problem.

I think it might be because my brain sees the lens of the camera as a human eye, and, so for that, I don't really like to look at the lens or being in front of it, but it wouldn't make sense, because, again, I can take photos of myself, which I do rarely, without any problem. But for real, I don't think of anything else why I really don't like being photograph.

Do you dislike, hate or fear being photographed? If so, why do you think it might be?

I hate being photographed soooo much!

I think my reasons differ though. Whenever I see photos of myself I get this intense uncanny feeling, like the person in the photograph can't possibly be me, but I know it is.

I used to avoid my own photographs because seeing them could ruin my day. These days my reaction is not so intense, but I do concede to have my picture taken, so long as I am not forced to see it or have it placed on the internet.

I suppose I must have unresolved self-esteem issues, or possibly some form of body dysmorphia.

I have ALWAYS shied away from having my photo taken. It caused my Dad no end of grief and he became my personal 'paparazzi' as a child in order to get my photo...telephoto lenses and surprise pics. Needless to say this only fuelled my anxiety at being photographed. My Mum and Aunt also made a big noise about avoiding having their pictures taken, which I may have used as a valid excuse for my own avoidance towards photos. I would be absent whenever possible at school photo days and if forced to sit for them, I would invariably blink in the shot; I just couldn't keep my eyes open when the flash went off. Hate the flash... always have a pained expression on my face in anticipation of the flash.
Sadly, there goes my successful modelling career :p

However, as I have gotten older, I found that if I pose with a dog or animal, I am more relaxed. I still hate the 'posed' nature of photos (especially wedding pics), but actually love taking photos.

I think selfies are easier, as they can be edited and they are more like a mirror - no one at the other end - so there is less anxiety.

Never thought of the lens as being an extension of the eye and therefore a reason to avoid looking at the lens, but reflecting on it now, it does seem to make sense.

I dislike it just because I see no reason to document and share every moment of one's life. I'd allow a wedding photographer, a photograph of a cake I'm proud of and police/medical photography.

It depends on the situation. I find it incredibly difficult to smile on cue, and "well meaning" people shouting at me to smile certainly didn't help my confidence. I don't have the greatest self esteem, and like Datura, I have this weird feeling seeing myself, even in the mirror. I've been known to brush my teeth with my eyes closed on bad days.

I also really hate selfies - being in them, taking them, and seeing other peoples'. Several reasons:
1. I think it's narcissistic, and I don't see a reason to document every moment with a photo of one's face.
2. Selfies are often really bad photos - grainy, out of focus, and distorted - I don't see the point of going to a special place and taking a backward photo of yourself so you fill the frame with your distorted head and you look like a serial killer.

I chose 'a little' because sometimes I don't want to have a picture taken, but I'm mostly alright with it. I used to absolutely hate having my photo taken, but that was because I was 21st. Since losing a lot of weight, I have less of a problem with it.

im not bothered by photos as cameras to me are just objects,its just another generic shape in my vision,i dont react to it,people have to try hard to get a photo from me.
i only visually pick up certain things on photos certainly least of all myself, i see everyone as the same generic shape excluding hair and clothing so a photo doesnt make a difference to me.
i am not blind/VI i just have very acute visual perception/processing differences caused by my autism.

If you mean a personal dislike then I understand it but generally speaking we are being photographed and videoed constantly the moment we leave our homes so being fearful or not liking that is pointless.

I don't mind being photographed. I'd rather people didn't put said photos online though, except on my private Picasa account, which I don't link to anywhere or set to private on my Facebook.

I don't mind it as long as I know I'm being photographed. I hate candids. I'm horrified when I see a picture of myself because my expression doesn't match what I'm feeling. For example, a friend took a picture of me with my son on a merry go round. I remember it being a good experience, but when I saw the photo, I looked downright miserable!

I have a phobia, I guess with my photo being taken.

This one on here, was taken by my husband's auntie, on an insistance from her and because it is not too disgusting, I put it on here.

I make excuses when photos are being taken.

The one time that I could not make an excuse, because of being in a wheelchair, I have to now cope with others putting the group photo on their avatars, so I just don't look, because I look awful.

Candid are the best for me, because then I am not conscious. My husband has said: I admit, that if you did look like that ( when I have posed for one), then I would not have wanted to marry you. It hurt, but I get it and he backs up with: thank goodness though, you do not look like that!

I don't mind being photographed. No more than Sonny Corleone would. :p

And yet I love photography. What a hypocrite. :eek:

YES! I thought I was the only one! (Of course I wasn't. Ugol's law and all.) Maybe it's an aspie thing. I feel like I'm not very photogenic. I don't show up well in photographs. (My avatar contains the only picture of me that I like. It was taken in Mexico.)

I dislike having my picture taken. You always have to fake-smile for the camera, and my fake smile makes me look like a serial killer in the photo.

I used to be very photogenic until 11, then I was the complete opposite. I'm starting to get over being insecure, deep down I like having pictures of myself. It was unpleasant though, when I was going through my worst stage in middle school and people insisted on taking pictures even though it was obvious I dreaded them. Pictures can be a big deal because some pictures don't go away and are looked at by many.
I wouldn't mind having an album of just pictures of myself and scenery .....I've always wanted in picture of myself in a traditional Japanese outfit so that I can just look at it.... shhhh

I was not too bad at the formal school photo they took every year, some of them are bad (looking glum, odd shy smile or grinning like an idiot) but some were good. As for informal photos some I am looking away and some I'm alright. I find it hard to know how to get a reasonable facial expression without looking sour or silly, besides I hate having my photo taken, it feels like an invasion of my privacy.

Being photographed only slightly bothers me these days, probably no more than some NTs, but it was different when I was a very young child. At the age of just 3 in the early 1970s I went up in a light single engine aircraft on a short pleasure flight, even though it was 45 years ago I actually remember watching the pilot and looking down at the fields without any fear what-so-ever. The problems started however afterwards on the ground when they tried to take a souvenir photograph, I don't remember all the details, but apparently I was extremely frightened and screamed + kicked off so much the photo session was forcibly aborted, lol!

PS: The 2nd time I flew I actually did a parachute jump at the age of 18 as a dare and for charity (around 30 years ago). The training was difficult as I hated being in a group and I was always of those people who always dropped out of PE at school, but I still did it.

Last edited:
Absolutely...though I have no explanation for its origins, which started in my late teens. :confused:

I always loved another part in the wedding sequence of "The Godfather", where the press snaps a photo of Emilio Barzini, leader of a rival crime organization. The moment the picture is snapped Barzini signals to his bodyguards to seize the camera, where he removes the film and exposes it. :cool:

Ironically though I love photography and have no problem taking others' pictures. As I posted earlier, I guess that makes me a hypocrite. I'll survive. o_O

Last edited:
There's a direct focus on me I'm extremely uncomfortable with and the resulting picture will be judged or commented upon for eternity. Presentation is everything in photos. Judged on appearance.

It's a single moment in time and not representative of me, just the 'packaging' and yet others look at that picture and say things like "what's up with you in that photo?"

Meaning ... What's up with your face? Why are you wearing that expression? Why aren't you smiling warmly like everyone else?

Probably because I'm very uncomfortable but will go along with this charade because it seemed to mean alot to you judging on your insistence.
I have given you due warning I don't photograph very well but you seem to think that this time will be different because you're enthusiastic about taking this photo.?
Don't say I didn't warn you !

New Threads

Top Bottom