• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone do that thing where you replay a social interaction in your head for hours/days?

ADL

I'm not sure if it's an autism thing or not, and I don't know how common it is or if it even has a name, but basically after any intense or unfamiliar social interaction I will run it over in my head for hours on end, sometimes for more than 24 hours. When I've described it before, people have assumed it's anxiety. But since many of my feelings about it are positive I don't think it could be anxiety, I often look back on conversations with pride or happiness or excitement.
The weird thing, and why I think this is more than just normal reminiscing or residual excitement, is that this occupies my brain entirely to the point I can't focus on anything else, and it can even interfere with my sleep.

So, how common is this? is it an Autism thing? what's it called?

(this might not be be the right part of the forum for this, let me know if it's better suited to another section)

I can only say that I don't have that experience but it sounds like it would be interesting to have for a moment.
You could try doing some Four Square breathing to help with the sleep. (Inhale slowly to the count of 4, hold to 4, exhale slowly to 4. and hold for 4. Repeat a few times.)
It sounds like an excitatory brain process. Maybe medication could help if you wanted to try that route.

It could be part of the autism experience within the context of repetitive behaviors and thoughts. On the other hand, it could also be part of the process of memory,...especially something that stimulated an emotional response in you. If you want to remember something forever, tie it with an emotional response,...and yes, in these circumstances, people often rehash these things over and over in their brains.

Yes definitely, I used to do that a lot, it's part of Ruminating I think. Used to be someone could wreck my weekend with a chance remark I would then think about for days. But I have recognised this as a pointless activity and now distract myself if I am doing it. I'd say also it could be part of how we may process differently and slower, and therefore don't respond in the moment.

I use to replay work conversations with trouble co-workers. Or people who tried to force my hand into doing something. Now l tend to replay where l state my boundary or l say the absolute truth about a current issue instead of glossing over it and being a pleaser. I don't need to please anybody. I need to take care of me.

Yes. And, I did it in an unhealthy manner when it would lead me down that rabbit hole of trauma from isolation. I remain observant and try to be thoughtful now about my social interactions in an attempt to process them in real time.

It isn't an autism thing. It isn't an anxiety thing. It is a plain old human thing. Everyone does this at numerous points in their lives. It is a result of communication.

If it is of a particular intensity, yes. If it's just a routine everyday mundane thing, no. I tend to forget about those. I do have a decent memory overall, for things, but moreso media trivia. Depersonalized things.

I do it a lot, yes. Particularly if it was a conversation that got me at all angry. Which, fortunately, doesnt happen often as I avoid conflict.

But every now and then... oh yeah. I'll dwell on it.

Definitely been happening a bit lately. Even as I type this, feh.

This is me for sure. I obsess over stupid stuff I've said and done my whole life. Think about what I could have done differently.

Especially now just coming out of a breakup. I'm obsessing over what I could have done differently (even though I know logically there probibly wasn't anything, but the thoughts keep coming.)

It isn't an autism thing. It isn't an anxiety thing. It is a plain old human thing. Everyone does this at numerous points in their lives. It is a result of communication.
The French even have a name for it, L'esprit de l'escalier, thinking of a reply too late.

I ruminate on basically every social interaction that I have, and obsess over what I did "wrong". It's stressful and I wish that I could stop doing it.

New Threads

Top Bottom