• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anybody else twist/cross/stretch their fingers?

Spidercat

I find this action very hard to describe, hence the various terms used in the title. I just push each finger forward, relatively hard, and move them around a little until I'm satisfied. Sorry if that isn't a good description. This motion usually lasts for a few seconds, but sometimes it goes on for minutes because I won't let myself stop doing it. I like it (for some, unknown reason), but sometimes it can hurt and it leaves my skin very sore and red between my fingers. I do this with my toes aswell, but not as often. I'd really like to know if anybody else does something similar.

Amongst other twitches, yes since I was a kid; rubbing fingers together to make a rubbing noise, squeaking fingernails against surfaces, tapping..

Yup, I do the same thing with my fingers :) I'm constantly stretching my hands and fingers.
I feel a lot better knowing that. Why do you do it? I think I do it out of habit now, although I'm still baffled as to why I randomly feel compelled to do it, even when it hurts. Ideas?

I feel a lot better knowing that. Why do you do it? I think I do it out of habit now, although I'm still baffled as to why I randomly feel compelled to do it, even when it hurts. Ideas?
I have no idea why :) I do that and "crack" my knuckles all the time. I always assumed it was a way to get rid of tension and stress.

Always stretch and flex my fingers, used to crack my joints a lot but it seems more painful now I'm older and arthritis might be settling in.

Absolutely, I always thought that I was the only one. Ever since I can remember I have pulled, twisted, crossed, bent, and scrunched up my fingers. I was embarrassed and thought that it was a nervous thing, but it actually soothing to me. Almost like using a fidget but you don't have one so you use you fingers instead. Some people think that it hurts yet it is more relaxing, it is not self harm and when I crack my knuckles I am just releasing built up co2. For my it is a comfort.

Absolutely, I always thought that I was the only one. Ever since I can remember I have pulled, twisted, crossed, bent, and scrunched up my fingers. I was embarrassed and thought that it was a nervous thing, but it actually soothing to me. Almost like using a fidget but you don't have one so you use you fingers instead. Some people think that it hurts yet it is more relaxing, it is not self harm and when I crack my knuckles I am just releasing built up co2. For my it is a comfort.
So did I. Thanks for responding. I think it's a comfort for me, too. It gets annoying though when I can't not do it, if you know what I mean. For example, as I'm typing right now, every few seconds I have to stop to cross my fingers over. They just don't feel right!

I understand what you mean, I usually type with one hand so I can have a free hand or use, magnetic hematite which I have found gives my hands something to do. it is al most like they can't sit still, like my hands and sometimes feet have ocd crossed with adhd.

I use these, Tai Chi exercise balls, keep your hands busy.

TD12-TC.jpg

I have to crack my knuckles regularly, otherwise they hurt even more than normal with all that air trapped in them.
Me too. And a few other joints too. There have been a few times my elbows build up so much pressure it's pretty painful and they go off like a gunshot when I stretch them. Or so it did in church one time when I was a kid. Good acoustics!

I use a Tangle toy. I position it in such a way that I can stretch my fingers and it doesn't hurt. :) I've heard those balls are good. Do you recommend I buy some?

I find them really relaxing. At first you tend to move them around quickly but in time everything slows down.

Hmm yeah I stretch my hands and fingers often, until it "feels right". I normally do it when I'm walking or am uncomfortable about something. People have commented on it before, which is a little awkward :oops:

New Threads

Top Bottom