• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do Your Sensory Sensitivities Ever Prevent You Doing Things?

Do your sensory sensitivities ever prevent you from doing things?

• Yes

Votes: 29 80.6%
  • No

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
Yes strong scents are difficult and loud noise or crowds, I avoid those or leave if they occur. I don't like crowded places, or when anyone use scent sprays or similar products in confined spaces or near me. Ongoing loud noise is unpleasant, although I have enjoyed some experiences of loud music if it's a type of music I like.

Yes, anything loud and crowded is a problem for me. I really wish I could enjoy concerts, but I went to one (Tool, my favorite band) and had to leave early.

I'm not quite sure I have sensory sensitivities. While I am not the biggest fan of crowds, music is only a problem when it's out of tune. I seem to react more to that than others. Same with smell. I might be more sensitive than normal, but not to a degree that gives me trouble.

There are things I wouldn't do because of them but they are things I don't want to do anyway, so I feel like it's not really preventing anything.

Unless the reason I don't want to do them is because of sensory sensitivities and I don't even know it! :eek:

Last edited:
Yes. For example, some art galleries in the city have stylised corridors illuminated by fluorescent/incandescent lights or bright monolights. It causes me migraines for days after using one, so I tend to avoid those on the cost of not seeing some interesting exhibits. Similar issue with loud noises or crowded places.

Depends how wound up and stressed I am.

If I'm wired and stressed to hell I wont usually bother leaving the house until I can get a handle on it.

Up until recently they weren't, but only because I powered through the discomfort. I won't do that anymore, so they WILL. And that's not a bad thing.

Open, noisy, crowded spaces, weird bright lights, certain type of voices. Fast moving multilane freeways.
Stupid, judgemental people.

When I was younger, like childhood and teen years, I couldn't stand close fireworks due to the sound.
Also heavy equipment noises I couldn't tolerate.
Lightening still really bothers me. But, I can enjoy concerts.

Flashing and strobe lights I cannot tolerate. I have to close my eyes.

Touch sensory issues have been a problem all my life. Clothes and bedding have to be soft.
No tags, buttons, zippers and I don't like denim. Too stiff.
Soft microfiber sheets and a soft furry blanket to sleep.

So sensory issues prevent me from wearing a lot of clothes and if there are strobes
at a concert or show, I just shut my eyes until that part is over.

I can't use pencils because their sound irritates me and I always use pens even if it's not rlly a good idea in some scenarios.

I'm not quite sure I have sensory sensitivities. While I am not the biggest fan of crowds, music is only a problem when it's out of tune. I seem to react more to that than others. Same with smell. I might be more sensitive than normal, but not to a degree that gives me trouble.
It's pretty much same with me.
Only thing my sensitivities actually prevent me from doing is eating certain foods (like orange and pineapple) because of their texture.

There are things I wouldn't do because of them but they are things I don't want to do anyway, so I feel like it's not really preventing anything.

Unless the reason I don't want to do them is because of sensory sensitivities and I don't even know it! :eek:

This.

I can't work retail, I WILL have intense, self harming meltdowns if I try. This isn't a problem because I don't want to work retail and because I don't have to work retail.

If retail were my only employment option, I would be disabled by sensory issues. But it's not, so I'm not.

I have no idea how to answer this question to be honest. Does it stop me from doing things? Well sure, but it doesn't stop me from doing anything I want to do.

My sensory sensitivities cut short visits to concerts and raves occasionally. Other than that I don’t have a lot of trouble.

Sensory sensitivities prevent me from, amongst other things:—

getting out of bed (dislike sensation of nice warm sheets leaving my body to be replaced by cold air)

getting in the bath (hate sensation of water touching flesh)

getting out of the bath once I'm in it (dislike sensation of cosy warm water being replaced by cold air)

drying myself (dislike sensation of towel)

getting dressed (dislike sensation of putting on clothes, especially sleeves, also any garment that has to be pulled over my head)

going outside if it's cold, e.g. to the coalhouse or the wheelie-bin (which are kind of necessary trips to make, sometimes)

going anywhere if it's cold, because of the repeated shock of going from the cold air into a warm car, out of the warm car into the cold air, out of the cold air again into a warm house or shop, then back out of the nice warm house or shop into the cold air again, etc.

ever completing a shopping list: cumulative sensory overload from the bright lights, the bright displays, the music, the other shoppers, etc. (so it can take me several shopping trips to buy what most people would pick up in one trip)

enjoying music without the help of drink or drugs: it's just too intense, otherwise

cleaning my teeth: indescribable torture, cold water, bristles of brush, aaargh!

getting undressed and going to bed: sometimes I just curl up on the hearthrug and sleep in my clothes rather than face going upstairs to bed, which has the added bonus of avoiding all the getting-out-of-bed-and putting-clothes-on torture next morning...

Could list many more but would only depress myself (and probably everyone else...)

l don't like to work in places where l hate the lighting and or layout of office. l have become a tab more sensitive about extremely loud male voices, not a fan. l don't like and wear black and white stripes , to loud,too much contrast. l like dark interiors in cars, beige or white only unsettles me inside cars. I hate loud bad wallpaper in small areas, l zone it out as much as l can. I prefer less people so shopping in empty stores makes me so happy.

Yep. It's makes me feel so crazy, but if the wind is blowing my hair out of place or in my face, I get extremely angry. Like irrationally irritated, to the point where I want to cry sometimes. Especially if I'm already having a bad day, that will set me over the edge.

Sometimes it can. I don’t like crowds and while I have been in crowded areas it can still give me anxiety, I don’t like standing near fireworks but like watching them from a distance.

I have never been to big concerts only seeing bands in small clubs but I think a bigger outdoor concert would take a toll on me and my husband once said he wouldn’t like taking me to one.

Yes. I will nope out of anything with large noisy crowds.

It's not like I can't deal with them. I just really, really, really don't want to. And it takes me a while to recover my calm afterward.

New Threads

Top Bottom