• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do your pets have disorders?

Bolletje

Overly complicated potato
V.I.P Member
I have a cat with separation anxiety. She came into my life when she was approximately 2 years old, previously having lived in a party house with round the clock visitors and drunk people who were rowdy with her occasionally.
When I got to know her at first she was very shy around other people but she instantly took a liking to me, making my bedroom her domain. Fast forward six years and she follows me around the house wherever I go. In the evening she’ll pace and complain until I follow her into the bedroom and go to bed. She’ll promptly fall asleep on my chest.
When I leave the house she’ll walk around the house, howling for a few minutes until she retreats into her lair (my wardrobe).
When she wakes up she’ll often let out a series of panicked cries. When I’m in the same room and I pet her, she instantly falls asleep again. When I call her from another room she’ll come racing towards me and showers me with affection. It’s great to have such an affectionate, companionable kitty, but I often feel guilty when I leave her alone for a few hours. She has another cat and my boyfriend for company, but my absence still distresses her and that makes me feel physical pain.

I rescued a tiny Siamese kitten who was living in a wooded strip near my office years ago. It took me 4 months of feeding him twice a day before I could catch him- he was absolutely terrified of people. Once I got him home, he glommed onto me and never let go. He was a one person (me) cat for the rest of his life and he exhibited all, I mean all, the classic s/s of PTSD. He grew up to be the most gorgeous Siamese I'd ever seen. I miss him terribly and always will.

I’m not sure if it’s PTSD, but my cat definitely shows some sign of trauma from her previous living arrangements. If we have visitors she immediately flees to my bedroom and sits in my wardrobe or under my sheets, panting with fear.

My mom got a miniature pinscher. Who was a rescue dog. He was seven weeks i think. Ears had been cut short. He was and is a very spooky dog. The only person he truly bonded to was my brother. He likes no one else. We have two female versions of his breed. One is a dominant female very loving and protective. The other has issues of the mind. We got her for free. All in good health and happy.

Cubby has a fear of rain. If he looks out and can tell it's going to rain, he spends the rest of the day in the shower or in my closet hiding.

Cubby has a fear of rain. If he looks out and can tell it's going to rain, he spends the rest of the day in the shower or in my closet hiding.

Fear of rain, or fear of thunder and lightning?

My cousin's dog runs for the bathroom at the first crack of thunder. Hiding behind the toilet.

I have one cat who's had some trauma I think. He was about eight months old when he began visiting my house, and looking in the window. He had wounds on his face, from possibly a dog or coyote. He wanted to come in, and the next day I took him to the Vet, he was there for a week in total while he recovered from the infections, neutering, dental cleaning, and tests. Apparently he became the vet hospital mascot, he was so affectionate, and vets and vet techs carried him around everywhere they went. Vet staff called to ask if they could adopt him, as they knew he was a stray. Although I refused.

He was covered in axle grease along his spine and tail. Which took months to slowly remove. He's extremely affectionate, needing to lie in my lap every evening, and sleep beside me every night. He has lots of allergies, some difficulty breathing, and possibly had head trauma at one time. He's a little slow in his reaction time, greets me at the door every time I return. And needs to be around me, he seems so grateful to have a home.

He's unlike any cat I've ever known, he has no hunting, stalking, hiding or playing skills. But he's slowly learning how to play a little, he stalks insects, and runs up and down the stairs and often slides or crashes into things. He's perfect the way he is:)

Fear of rain, or fear of thunder and lightning?

My cousin's dog runs for the bathroom at the first crack of thunder. Hiding behind the toilet.
Fear of rain. It doesn't have to be thundering and lightening. If the skies look like it's going to rain - he hides. :) And loud noises doesn't seem to bother him.

Fear of rain. It doesn't have to be thundering and lightening. If the skies look like it's going to rain - he hides. :) And loud noises doesn't seem to bother him.

LOL...how odd! I don't think I've ever heard of a dog who feared the rain.

Oh well...every dog has their day I guess. Even a rainy one. :confused:

Oh my....you're in NC. I hope sufficiently away from the hurricane. Take care Pats.

LOL...how odd! I don't think I've ever heard of a dog who feared the rain.

Oh well...every dog has their day I guess. Even a rainy one. :confused:

Oh my....you're in NC. I hope sufficiently away from the hurricane. Take care Pats.
thanks - I'm on the western side.

My Samantha is a rescue dog, got her almost two years ago. She does the weirdest thing. She never walks up to the water dish...she walks slowly, slinking, in a circuitious route all around the apartment making her way to the water dish. The whole time pretending she isnt interested in the water dish. She spends at least 5 minutes doing this. Every time.

My dog Lilly has many allergies, both food allergies and seasonal allergies. She has to get an allergy shot every six weeks.

I suspect my cat has ADHD. He's very active and loves to play, but he gets bored with one toy after about five minutes. We're still trying to find something that will keep him occupied for longer than that, because when he's bored, he finds his own fun, like knocking things over and biting ankles.

I have a dog and two cats. One 'caught' anxiety from living with me (i.e. a person with anxiety). I feel bad about that. Also two of my three pets are afraid of storms. And one of my pets has bad skin (an allergy). I tried everything to find out what they were allergic too but in the end we had to resort to medication. A tablet a day keeps the problem away.

when he's bored, he finds his own fun, like knocking things over and biting ankles.
I would love to have more indoor plants but my cats shred them and put dirt everywhere!
Do you give your cat catgrass? Mine really like it. I grow it outside in a pot and just break off some stalks now and then to give them inside.

I would love to have more indoor plants but my cats shred them and put dirt everywhere!
Do you give your cat catgrass? Mine really like it. I grow it outside in a pot and just break off some stalks now and then to give them inside.

We haven't tried it with this cat yet. Our old cat didn't really care about it, but this one might. Our old cat was one of the rare ones who's completely indifferent about catnip, but Arthur will roll around in it for a little bit (and then try to eat it). We'll have to pick up a little thing of cat grass sometime to see if he likes it.

We haven't tried it with this cat yet. Our old cat didn't really care about it, but this one might. Our old cat was one of the rare ones who's completely indifferent about catnip, but Arthur will roll around in it for a little bit (and then try to eat it). We'll have to pick up a little thing of cat grass sometime to see if he likes it.
I've got some seeds for catnip but I haven't grown any yet to try them on it.

New Threads

Top Bottom