• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you want to be immortal?

Do you want to be immortal?

• Total voters
It's not what you do, but rather how you do.

I've heard other conversations on this topic before.

1. At what age would you want to stop physically aging?
2. Would I continue to gain wisdom or would my cognitive biases further and further solidify to the point where I was no longer capable of learning and accepting new ideas?
3. Would there be a need for procreation?
4. Are we talking just oneself being immortal, or would all the people around you also be immortal?
5. When we speak of immortality, is this referring to aging and physical health only? Could you be killed from a traumatic injury?
6. Would technical advances continue to progress or would they eventually slow down and stop?
7. Would life be boring after a while or would I be perpetually seeking new mental and physical stimulation?

I would love to continue living for a long, long time. I am a self-motivated learner and have many goals in life. As long as I was "young and healthy", I could do all sorts of things, travel, explore, have multiple careers, learn to manage my finances better, become wealthy, etc. I don't think many people are like me in this regard.

Last edited:
As a human, you could never pay me enough to become immortal. I'd rather stay mortal...

Sure, if I were immortal there would be a chance that I would get to hear a new Tool album again. ;) They take so much time releasing albums.

I have lived over 19,000 days and haven't died, so there appears to be less than a 19,000:1 chance that I will die on any given day in the future. I may be immortal.

On a (slightly more) serious note, I don't know about forever, but I have enough scattered interests to easily occupy myself for several hundred years. There's never enough time to do all the things I'm interested in.

From my own cosmic perspective, we were born immortal as eternal souls and simply opt on occasion to temporarily become mortal on this secondary plane of existence. To experience so many physical limitations and hardships that are profoundly absent in our primary existence.

And when our time is up here, we return "home" as immortal beings. That reincarnations of struggle and suffering on earth are what gives us humility and perspective to reflect upon that which we really don't experience as immortal beings.

In essence, life truly sucks for so many of us here for just one reason. Because it is supposed to.

Last edited:
I would love to continue living for a long, long time. I am a self-motivated learner and have many goals in life. As long as I was "young and healthy", I could do all sorts of things, travel, explore, have multiple careers, learn to manage my finances better, become wealthy, etc. I don't think many people are like me in this regard.
^ I can second this desire as explained here.

I definitely want to be immortal. Ironically, the thought of life just ending and me ceasing to be is scary. Gives me anxiety just thinking about how everything will just stop.

Mortal, please. Without heavens or hells. No reincarnation.

Death its one of the few things that work properly. I like it that way.

No, I would not like to be immortal. I would not like to see technology advance, or wars come and go. I would not like to say goodbye to each loved one, one by one, as time progresses.

I just want a peaceful, happy life, surrounded by loved ones. Gratitude for each day.

But in the new heavens and new earth, when everything is perfect, and there is nothing but joy and wisdom and love, then yes, I would like to live forever.

You think that would be possible? I mean, would joy mean anything when there is no sadness?
Joy would mean everything, because for a lifetime before, there was sadness and hardship, mixed with the joy. This is eternal joy without being let down.

BTW love the Ahsoka!!

Immortal. Because I'm curious about how the Earth and all life on it will evolve, and because I can go around with a sword saying "There can be only one!" :)

Joy would mean everything, because for a lifetime before, there was sadness and hardship, mixed with the joy. This is eternal joy without being let down.

BTW love the Ahsoka!!
When i feel happy, i feel like "i'm happy because i'm not in one of those hard times right now." and i don't experience any other kind of joy so often. The earthquake happened here in Turkiye one month ago is a great example to what i said for me. I feel kinda happy right know cause i'm not in that day right now. This is definetly the ultimate example, sadly dear Ahsoka has lost her second lightsaber during that earthquake. That is my only lost in this earthquake and i'm unbelievably thankful for that. Now i realized these are kinda dark topics. lol

I'm already mortal. Death is a part of the human experience, and I would feel cheated if I missed out on that. Every man and every woman to have lived has also died. It's not so bad really if you think about it--pain, yes, but there are more important things than pain. Death is fine. And I don't think it's the end either.

Future technology involving genetic editing looks promising. Life extension. I would take it if it was affordable and accessible. Otherwise, not concerned. We don't experience death, only life. Unless you count the 7 minutes the brain is active after the heart stops. Or the fractal psychedelic trip we go on, which may, or may not be what is commonly referred to as the afterlife. That place people describe when taking high doses of DMT or having near death experiences. That energy cosmic vortex portal to eternity of heaven, hell, purgatory, reincarnation, or an hallucination, depending on your point of view. And if you believe consciousness is immortal, being trapped in one single body would be a kind of hell. Bodies are gene replicators. If it was possible to repair them, keep them young for an indefinite time, naturally, my instincts would say yes.

New Threads

Top Bottom