• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you use reusable coffee cups?

shysnail

I think it would be a really good thing environmentally to get a reusable coffee cup for when I go to coffee places, but I'm worried about it being awkward handing it over to the staff to fill. Even though I know more and more people are using them, it still feels kind of uncomfortable to me.

Does anyone here take a reusable cup with them when they have hot drinks out? Are staff completely unfazed by it, or do they ever seem annoyed, like you're creating a hassle for them? Do you prefer having your own cup versus disposable ones?

It's actually a good idea, less waste. Do prefer my own cup, but I rarely if ever buy coffee from restaurants, preferring to grind my own mixture of beans and brew them. I would have no problem with presenting my own personal cup at a fast food restaurant that used cardboard or styrofoam take out cups.

In the canadian province I live in, people of all ages are aware of what they refer to as 'eco' living. They want to use less plastic, paper, styrofoam and throw away items. So they would be amenable to less in the way of waste.

I rarely buy coffee in cups and often take a thermos with me for coffee or a re-usable cup with coffee from home when I go out rather than buying it. I generally try to re-use things - that includes things like water bottles and plastic bags. I don't buy bottled water, but refill large reusable water bottles from a local spring whose water is certified safe to drink. I often refuse plastic bags in shops and only take one if I genuinely need it, or I take a bag from home and use that. Some shops here have a policy of always giving you a plastic bag for every single small thing, even a loaf of bread. The other day I refused a plastic bag in a bakery, but I'm the exception rather than the rule.

The people at the coffee shop I go to are really encouraging of bringing your own cup. You get a discount and a free drink for every ten drinks you buy in your own thermos. They definitely don't seem annoyed when I bring out my thermos.

I'm not a coffee drinker so I never use disposable cups.

In recent years, I have been trying to reduce the amount of plastic that I use. I no longer marinate or brine meats in zip lock bags - I use a glass or Pyrex casserole dish.

I buy sturdy, reusable, dishwasher-safe, plastic freezer containers and lids.

I try not to use plastic wrap like Seran Wrap on foods that are refrigerated. Instead, I use glass/Pyrex casserole dishes with lids or even my mother's old trick of putting a plate on top of a bowl.

I have some big plastic mesh bags with handles from Mexico that I take to the grocery store. They are washable to prevent contamination.

I avoid bottled water unless I'm stranded somewhere that it is my only option. I take a reusable thermos of ice water from my home when I drive anywhere.

I buy only paper straws for grandkids' drinks.

Every little bit of recycling we can do helps the environment and it saves money!

I think it would be a really good thing environmentally to get a reusable coffee cup for when I go to coffee places, but I'm worried about it being awkward handing it over to the staff to fill.

The good news?

No question it's more environmentally sound.

The bad news?

It potentially skews a coffee vendor's products liability in terms of sanitation relative to a customer's personal coffee cup. Imagine someone attempting to blame and litigate against a vendor for a public health exposure that may have originated from someone's own cup. Worse even if someone's cup is mixed up with another customer's cup. Just too much exposure involved- even over a simple thing like a coffee cup.

Where location becomes paramount relative to excessive litigation in general. In other words, some locales experience such things considerably more than others.

Last edited:
Yep I've had one for years, although I get hot chocolate rather than coffee! Staff are completely unfazed and some places give you a discount for using one.

Yes, I own three. :eek:

Only one I don’t use very much and I’m trying to resist from buying any more. I’ll hold them in my hand and admire them in the shops and convince myself to not buy it as I’ll soon get fed up of it which would also be a waste of money. I’m focusing more on providing myself structure in life to do things that fulfils me. Buying things is like a mindless addiction which I did for many years that doesn’t get me far towards my goals. I lost track of my goals before which I’ve claimed back. It’s art, so I can have coffee or water out of my reusable cups while creating on my easel and appreciating that moment with myself. It’s a happiness that doesn’t measure up to most things. I’ve learned that being in my studio and being productive is very fulfilling.

5A4970EA-2DDB-49C3-92D2-1241A203D4DC.jpeg
I’ve had this one about 4 years! I use it everyday. I make my own coffee, but use this for refills too.

I think it would be a really good thing environmentally to get a reusable coffee cup for when I go to coffee places, but I'm worried about it being awkward handing it over to the staff to fill. Even though I know more and more people are using them, it still feels kind of uncomfortable to me.

Does anyone here take a reusable cup with them when they have hot drinks out? Are staff completely unfazed by it, or do they ever seem annoyed, like you're creating a hassle for them? Do you prefer having your own cup versus disposable ones?
You mean to say you actually go to coffee shops? In person? You physically walk up to a counter, talk to a human person, say words out loud to them and order coffee? You are a very brave soul. When I do drink coffee, I make it myself at home. You're like a coffee ninja warrior, or something.

I rarely go to coffee shops because I am way too cheap to pay their prices and their coffee is not as good as the coffee I brew at home. I also prefer my coffee cups that I have at home because they are bigger than most. I usually drink all coffee that I am going to drink before I leave the house. If I do need to take coffee with me, I fill up my stainless steel insulated cup.

New Threads

Top Bottom