• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you thrive on or avoid drama?

hatfullofrain

I like to live a quiet life. I have a friend who lives life by the seat of their pants and makes impulsive decisions and looks for meaning in everything. Just listening to them describe their life exhausts me.

Whereas I assess the situation and plan my next move and just do what needs done. How dull.

Does this make sense. What's your perspective?

Yes, it stresses me too.

They described me as methodical. I didn't understand that day when they said that. But I get it now. I like to consider things before even contributing to a discussion let alone making a life decision. Whereas they go and seek their thing and look for good or bad signs that they've gone down the right path.

I wondered if this was more of an aspie trait in my behalf.

Both and neither...:oops:
Ditto, I lean more to the methodical side, but whenever there's the potential of something dramatic happening, I feel part of me longing for it. (Perhaps it's a combination of anger issues and craving for meaning in my life; on the other hand, I suspect that at least some of my desire for peace and order stems from my difficult childhood that leaves me feeling like a burnt-out veteran.)

Same as @Kit If there is some major development going on in the news and it catches my attention, I can be constantly checking the news for new developments. Like the Covid-19 pandemic. But I don't like being involved in other people's personal drama, I find it overwhelming/stresssful and will want to distance myself from it.

I avoid it whenever possible. Others' drama I might find slightly amusing depending on how absurd it is, but at the end of the day there are better uses of my time.

Pathologically avoid. When people engage with me in drama, I don't even participate. It drives them insane.

I try to avoid drama. It wasn't always that way. I grew up with some drama around me and I moved into dramatic relationships. I also thought that being a good and normal person meant that you got involved and tried to help your friends. Obviously it is good to help friends - not suggesting you shouldn't - but I got too involved in things that I just should have avoided and which they should have avoided.

So now my life is relatively calm and regimented. HOWEVER :)D) I still get upset about some things. Stuff happens online and I sometimes get super-involved emotionally even when I shouldn't.

I avoid actually getting involved in drama, but if there's something going on I might keep occasional tabs on it. Drama can be entertaining... From afar.

Thankfully I'm not involved in much drama in real life. I tend to get caught up in it to a degree online in forums and such though.

Avoid, but I try to build in some flexibility. I really enjoy planning travel itineraries - and building in "what ifs".
As with @Bolletje I also enjoy trying to resolve crises that aren't my own. I guess that's kind of how I got into my field of work.

New Threads

Top Bottom