• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you think you get tired more easily than others?

Do you think you get more tired easier than those around you?

• yes

Votes: 28 71.8%
  • no

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • maybe so

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • don't care, don't have a clue

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters

Chance

"all who wander are not lost" - Tolkien
V.I.P Member
I was just woken up. I curled up and feel asleep right after dinner. I have company and I was told I was being rude to keep falling asleep all the time. I'm trying hard to not be angry and fixing to go take a shower... But I just got to wondering about this.

I'm not sleeping to be a jerk. I was just simply tired. I don't seem to need some special sleep schedule, nor do I worry about one. Is it just me being weird and rude, or are any others out there in some way like this?

I do the same thing, especially if I have company over or I'm at a family event. I'll go curl up in the back room at my grandparents house and take a nap if I'm getting tired cause I know that I'll snap at one family member in particular not affectionately called the Idiot-In-Law. But that's a whole different story. I'm told it's rude to go sleep or hide from the family, but my aunt does the same thing. She'll come join me in my hiding room and we'll sit in silence and read books or just stare off into space. Occasionally we'll converse about the books we're reading and get really into it and it'll take another family member to come and snap us out of it. I don't think it's rude, I think forcing you to continue to participate when you're getting tired is the rude aspect here.

It's not rude at all. I have been over at my in-laws before when I was encouraged to take a nap. They even offered the guest bed so I could be comfortable while I dozed. Those who care about you won't be upset about you resting when you are too tired to stay awake, especially if you have just come home from a long day at work or it is getting late in the evening.

Our culture undervalues the necessity of sleep for maintaining overall health. I'm guilty as well. I stay up way too late on a regular basis. But I try my best not to do things that discourage others from sleeping when they feel the need.

I sort of get it... I know I'm basically unsocial, but I dont have a chip on my shoulder, or go around making cut remarks or looks. I just usually sort of smile, say as little as possible and do my thing. If thats falling asleep at 7pm and waking up at 2am... Its no big deal to me. It never has been...

My aunt said while ago, Chance has been that way all his life... Just let him be! Go auntie!

People say ASD are so into routine... And yes I do have my things I have to do at sort of certain times or ways, but sleep seems to be outside that scope of thinking. I just sleep when I need to sleep and I adjust my freakish little schedule accordingly. Also I have never needed a specific place to sleep. I think that comes from a very unstructured childhood, and not really even knowing where I would be from one night to the next. All I want is my pillows and my banket or sleepng bag if possible. Its not like I have a lot of special needs.

Yet I am surrounded by people who have to get in bed by a certain time, have to have their certain side of a certain bed, have to have the lighitng just so, have to wake up at a certain time, have to this, have to that... And they say I have issues?? I only sleep when I am tired, so I have no demands whatsoever.

Its like they are programmed for certain exact sleep habits, and I am this random nut case who can sleep on the floor, in a chair, in a truck bed, on a boat, on the back porch, or in a bath tub... (at least until I wake up freezing)... : )

I sort of get it... I know I'm basically unsocial, but I dont have a chip on my shoulder, or go around making cut remarks or looks. I just usually sort of smile, say as little as possible and do my thing. If thats falling asleep at 7pm and waking up at 2am... Its no big deal to me. It never has been...

My aunt said while ago, Chance has been that way all his life... Just let him be! Go auntie!

People say ASD are so into routine... And yes I do have my things I have to do at sort of certain times or ways, but sleep seems to be outside that scope of thinking. I just sleep when I need to sleep and I adjust my freakish little schedule accordingly. Also I have never needed a specific place to sleep. I think that comes from a very unstructured childhood, and not really even knowing where I would be from one night to the next. All I want is my pillows and my banket or sleepng bag if possible. Its not like I have a lot of special needs.

Yet I am surrounded by people who have to get in bed by a certain time, have to have their certain side of a certain bed, have to have the lighitng just so, have to wake up at a certain time, have to this, have to that... And they say I have issues?? I only sleep when I am tired, so I have no demands whatsoever.

Its like they are programmed for certain exact sleep habits, and I am this random nut case who can sleep on the floor, in a chair, in a truck bed, on a boat, on the back porch, or in a bath tub... (at least until I wake up freezing)... : )

You should spend more time with your aunt. You need more of her in your life.

8FEF7C4C-C8DC-42D0-BB5C-F72299C8EEE7.jpeg
“Spoon theory.” I believe I start each day with less social energy than others, amd when my social energy battery gets 8nto the red zone and is too depleted, i get a sleepy, heavy-limbed torpor... a fo4m of shutdown. The brain cannot cope with much chitchat, socialize zing, even being in the same room with others without interacting drains me.

I have to budget my energy, and my social energy in particular.

No, you are not rude at all. Keep sleeping when you need; why should they worry so much over it?

I seem to get tired much easier than most people but am able to sleep until at least 11:00pm most of the time. For some reason I just have never been able to go sleep when I want. And of course I need at least 9-12 hours and wake up tired anyways.

Does anyone else get achy all over? Sorta a dull ache. It happens when I get really tired and stressed. No spoons left I guess. Been that way most of the last two weeks. Seems to go with being tired.

You should spend more time with your aunt. You need more of her in your life.
Totally would if she didn't live 2 1/2 hours away, every time she's here and every time I visit her area we meet up and discuss the books we've been reading.

Totally would if she didn't live 2 1/2 hours away, every time she's here and every time I visit her area we meet up and discuss the books we've been reading.

I totally missed that two different people mentioned having a cool aunt. Aunts are winning today.

Nah you're just different !certain people don't like different go to sleep when you can sleep,you remind me of the cats and the meme if I fits I sits,apart from of course sleeping under somebody on top of somebody.
Of course my sitting room is like the Bahamas it's the only room in the house that's heated so the cats are spread out around the fire.
Or they go to what I call the calderium it was the place the Romans had to cool off after they been in a hot area the cats go and sit in the cardboard box beside the back door

@kay I have a lot of problems with the all over aches.
I use a fitness roller on my legs that helps.
Maybe it is a type of stimming my body is calling for?

And I get sleepy at odd times. Yet I like staying up late until the wee morning hours. I like to sleep then until noon, but can't a lot of times. So I sleep when I feel the need whenever possible.

View attachment 40172 “Spoon theory.” I believe I start each day with less social energy than others, amd when my social energy battery gets 8nto the red zone and is too depleted, i get a sleepy, heavy-limbed torpor... a fo4m of shutdown. The brain cannot cope with much chitchat, socialize zing, even being in the same room with others without interacting drains me.

I have to budget my energy, and my social energy in particular.

Imagine a battery to the left of none with more energy in it.
When I met my wife I said 'you add to me'
I didn't know at the time but spoon theory works for what I said back then.
Didn't find out till 15 years later she didn't have a clue what I was talking about!

The 'wife' battery has now moved slightly to the right but it's still okay.

Nah you're just different !certain people don't like different go to sleep when you can sleep,you remind me of the cats and the meme if I fits I sits,apart from of course sleeping under somebody on top of somebody.
Of course my sitting room is like the Bahamas it's the only room in the house that's heated so the cats are spread out around the fire.
Or they go to what I
I totally missed that two different people mentioned having a cool aunt. Aunts are winning today.

One of them isn't. She's dead.

If I remember from earlier posts.

Warning : this post may be offensive to NTs.
Warning : this warning should have appeared at the top of this post.
I also could have been wrong about the aunt.

No, you are not rude at all. Keep sleeping when you need; why should they worry so much over it?

I seem to get tired much easier than most people but am able to sleep until at least 11:00pm most of the time. For some reason I just have never been able to go sleep when I want. And of course I need at least 9-12 hours and wake up tired anyways.

Does anyone else get achy all over? Sorta a dull ache. It happens when I get really tired and stressed. No spoons left I guess. Been that way most of the last two weeks. Seems to go with being tired.

I get achy... In certain places in my body. Left upper chest, false appendicitis, lower back... Its always the same feeling with same intensity, so I know there is nothing actually wrong. It will be gone as soon as I get some rest and change my mindset.

Like right now all is good!!! I feel like a renewed guy. I am wide awake and its 4:34am and everyone else is snoring while I just bask in the mostly quiet... Its actully really, really nice.

I get achy... In certain places in my body. Left upper chest, false appendicitis, lower back... Its always the same feeling with same intensity, so I know there is nothing actually wrong. It will be gone as soon as I get some rest and change my mindset.

Like right now all is good!!! I feel like a renewed guy. I am wide awake and its 4:34am and everyone else is snoring while I just bask in the mostly quiet... Its actully really, really nice.
Trying not to swear are they still there

Yes. My friends tease me because I have a tendency of going to sleep pretty early in the evening. Especially when I've been working, I feel very tired in the late afternoon and I have to make myself prepare dinner and eat, otherwise I'll just fall asleep and binge on unhealthy snacks the next day. Stress is really draining me. I had a panic attack on friday and I'm still recovering from the panic hangover.

Trying not to swear are they still there

I finally think I got what you are saying "brain fog"...

Oh yes they were already here when I got off work Friday... Already unloaded and all settled in for the weekend... Its wonderful...

I'm trying very hard to have positive attiude and just not say nothing, but now it seems I have made my computer go insane, so I have that to take my mind off of the other levels of madness I soak myself in... : )

Yep, on the weekends I'll happily have naps during the day. It seems to be proportional to the amount of information that I've been exposed to, if I've had to suffer large and enthusiastic crowds of people then I get exhausted.

I don't "think" it. I know it.

Unless of course I were to attend a convention of people with chronic clinical depression. And I haven't even gotten to the cost of masking my traits and behaviors! Yet another source of exhaustion. :eek:

New Threads

Top Bottom