• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you think that society should care more about Autism, specifically high functioning?

Steve A

Now, I understand that people DO care about individuals on the spectrum. However, in my experience, high functioning autism flies under the radar at times due to the similarities of neurotypical individuals, despite some differences.

Do you believe my statement or does it all depend how you act, along with the group of people who you interact with on a daily basis?

Not sure if l am high functioning enough to answer this question. Is there a cut-off? I think there was a whole thread on this , and know l feel l know less.

However, in my experience, high functioning autism flies under the radar at times due to the similarities of neurotypical individuals, despite some differences.
Flying under the radar is why you're considered high-functioning. High-functioning = able to mask, able to speak, IQ above moron. In other words, how close to neurotypical do you seem to be? This is what the functioning labels always boil down to, no matter how people try to define them.

I'm not sure what it would look like in practice, if people cared more. I do wish it was easier to explain in a way that people could actually understand.

There is so much nuance, and masking makes things very confusing for others. I say that I find social situations challenging but I don't act like it. I actually perform well in most interactions. Other people can't see the way I prepare myself for that performance or the way I crumble afterwards.

It's frustrating to try and explain things and constantly hear "Everyone struggles with that sometimes". I always feel invalidated when I try to explain it, and I've started to think it might be better to just not tell people about it at all, because I can't seem to get the point across myself.

So I'm not sure if I need people to care more, but it would be nice if they could understand it better. Although, I suppose they'd need to care in order to improve their understanding of it.. but then again, I think there are more pressing issues in the world that I would like society to focus on, like the destruction of the biosphere, for example.

Guess being so wrapped in my issues leaves me little time to consider if l would even notice that people cared more. Because l probably wouldn't notice or would just write it off as l got lucky that day.

Now, I understand that people DO care about individuals on the spectrum. However, in my experience, high functioning autism flies under the radar at times due to the similarities of neurotypical individuals, despite some differences.

Do you believe my statement or does it all depend how you act, along with the group of people who you interact with on a daily basis?
no I think the opposite way I think people who aren't assertive should be taught to be assertive, that's all society takes any notice of.

Great post, Steve A. This topic is certainly one that has been explored numerous times in this forum but I believe it’s very important to work thru the idea to understanding.

I would ask that if society did “care more about Autism, specifically high-functioning” what would that look and feel like? Additionally, do we see examples where society cares about something to the degree that matches what might be defined as care?

Lastly, is society in this context defined as family, governments, medical professionals, neighbors?

I have found that working thru this in my mind and heart has been important. I had become quite bitter and callous toward society in general. What I had become was of my choosing and I had to think this thru to preserve tenderness and hope.

Thank you for the post Steve A.

I am not sure how to answer this, but I consider myself high functioning. In my company last year I was asked to sit on an autism panel where people attended and asked questions of the panel in a lecture hall setting. I was confused by this since as far as I knew I did not have ASD. When I questioned this, I was asked if anyone in my family was autistic, and I indicated that I had close family with ASD. So I was told they would still like me to sit on this panel.

I ended up responding to a lot of questions, and a Sr. VP of Operations asked me how they could recruit more high functioning employees with ASD for technical positions. I am not sure how well of a job masking I did, because I seemed to be the only one who didn't suspect I had high functioning ASD. Anyway I responded to questions, and am relieved that I am valued by management. I was later invited to and attended a fundraising dinner for people with ASD.

Last month I was formally diagnosed with ASD by a psychiatrist, and I am still trying to wrap my mind around this. Anyway, I think my company is an example of society caring about and valuing people with high functioning ASD.

Last edited:
I find saying society "should" do this thing or that thing is kind of a pointless question. I have nothing against policies that increase awareness or provide supports, but society will do whatever societies do, regardless of our wishes or value judgments.

Society "should" stamp out racism, homophobia, and bullying, but how fast is that happening?

I'm afraid when I read such a question, I instantly think of the concept of "utilitarianism" and the words of classic liberal philosopher Jeremy Bentham.

"It is the greatest happiness of the greatest number that is the measure of right and wrong." Unfortunately in this context (which makes a lot of sense to a lot of people) the first thing I have to point out regarding society's autistic population is the disparity between our numbers and the overwhelming ones of neurotypicals. Then compound such a system of beliefs with the basics of democracy, which are inherently dependent upon the consensus of a mathematical majority.

When a society puts so much emphasis on a social majority, it is inevitable that minorities like ourselves will suffer accordingly. Beyond this reality, you have to consider how viable or not the reciprocal may be. Simply put, what society and government vows to protect their smallest and most obscure minorities that may be so vulnerable ?

-None that I see. It's why at times we may see lots of rhetoric over such concerns, but so little action.

Of course all of this flies in the face of another reality. That many democracies that claim to reflect the consensus of the people actually reflect only a consensus of an oligarchy. Where even a society's social majority loses out to the whims of a few rather than the many.

In the final analysis, there's a great deal of things "society" could be doing. Yet it isn't. So it's no surprise to see much of any social minority getting little more than lip service by a social majority. But then this what politics is all about. To use a great deal of words to say and mean little to nothing. To project largely only the appearance of compassion and moral values. Not actually provide them- especially to society's smallest and most vulnerable segments.

What seems almost universal to me is how humanity compartmentalizes and rations compassion in general.

Last edited:
Great post, Steve A. This topic is certainly one that has been explored numerous times in this forum but I believe it’s very important to work thru the idea to understanding.

I would ask that if society did “care more about Autism, specifically high-functioning” what would that look and feel like? Additionally, do we see examples where society cares about something to the degree that matches what might be defined as care?

Lastly, is society in this context defined as family, governments, medical professionals, neighbors?

I have found that working thru this in my mind and heart has been important. I had become quite bitter and callous toward society in general. What I had become was of my choosing and I had to think this thru to preserve tenderness and hope.

Thank you for the post Steve A.
My best guess would be how people react to our actions and behaviors. I mask myself pretty well IMO, however, my close friends sometimes tell me how I act "different" from others.

Even though I take their feedback with a grain of salt, the biggest thing for me is how the real world views us. From job opportunities to managing relationships/marriages, not everyone will understand who we really are as a group of individuals. I've dealt with this first hand in the past and let me tell you, I'm glad that there's certain people out there who actually care about us, along with understanding what we deal with on a daily basis.

Finally, the only way to handle this is to surround yourself with people who care about you and are willing to remain friends with you, no matter what.

Yes. Seems to me that there is lack of programming for those of us who are high functioning. If my IQ was under 70 here in Newfoundland I'd have a career coach to work with me at my job. My IQ is over 70 so no career coach, it's like I'm punished for being to smart.

I do not think we live in a primarily caring society, although there are significant caring initiatives and people who care. However, children and vulnerable adults are abused in their homes and we do not put in place effective ways to prevent this, because we don't care enough I guess.

Dominant social priorities are about getting material things, getting rich, spending money, buying stuff, advertising stuff, trying to get more money and more stuff, owning things, being powerful through having money and possessions.

Unfortunately many people with Autism would find it hard to do what you suggest, @Steve A , because making friends and having any kind of social network is often hard for us and may not in any case be much wanted by us. As you say, there are more choices and opportunities to thrive for those who can mask. Masking isn't an enjoyable activity though, is it? However because of the way society is, most people NT and ND do it on a daily basis, some more than others.

Hi, i just want to ask a stupid question, because just curious.. please don't take it as criticism.

Why the society should care more? And why it's not another way around - why don't high-functioning autistic people care more about the society? Maybe if both parties do it - caring for each other, it would be better..?

Flying under the radar is why you're considered high-functioning. IQ above moron.

Moron? So because my son has an IQ of around 50 he's a moron to people like you? This shows you have little understanding of the spectrum as well..

I think along the lines of Progster, we need to judge less and stop calling people morons when they are clearly intellectually disabled. If people stopped using derogatory statements towards people who have no choice in the matter, it would be a step in the right direction...

All of the above.
It's a tough line between us balancing our needs, responsibilities, and independence on our own while also having a goal to naturally vibe with being respected at the same time.

Best thing you can do is learn as much as you can to make your individual situations work for you. This includes when to reciprocate and when to politely and not politely say "no" as well.

Moron? So because my son has an IQ of around 50 he's a moron to people like you? This shows you have little understanding of the spectrum as well..
I was using "moron" in the colloquial sense. I was pointing out that "high-functioning" only means you can blend in and appear neurotypical--which is harder to do if you're intellectually disabled. The larger point that everyone cheerfully missed was that the functioning labels are largely BS, precisely because they boil down to measuring how well you mask. Certainly, I wasn't trying to take shots at people who are intellectually impaired.

New Threads

Top Bottom