• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you think my lack of social skills and obsessions are signs of Aspergers?

ab_dc23

I'm 15 years old and in high school. I can't recall ever having a single friend in my entire life. Either I'm too shy and dull in personality or too socially awkward--lacking in social cues-- around my peers. It's always between these two strikingly opposite demeanors. At home, and with my close relatives, I'm fairly expressive with my feelings yet timid at school. I can get through a week of school without saying a single word. I'm the one loner who sits alone at lunch and hides away during break time. Despite all of this, I feel so at ease when around younger children, like five-year-olds. Perhaps they understand me better than teens my age.

The only things that keep me going are my obsessions. They usually last for less than two months, but some are enduring and last for years. My longest has been almost three years. They're about unorthodox topics that others would deem boring. In addition to this world inside my head, I also have "imaginary friends" who each represent a different part of my personality and act as my mentor. None of these things are detrimental to my life. I don't have tantrums nor act violently. I was just curious if any Aspies have anything in common with me.

There are overlaps with special interests and isolation tendencies, also we are often good at pattern matching and question things, not following the crowd. We get sensory overload to varying degrees too. And we are self analytical.

However, I would strongly recommend against seeking diagnosis from strangers on the internet, if you suspect something, then either you or your parents can contact your special educational needs team at your school. There are pros and cons to getting an official diagnosis, on the plus side it can help with exam techniques (trouble concentrating on repetitive tasks?) but on the minus side you'll find that you try to live up to the label.

Aspergers is more common than people realize and I wouldn't change myself for the world, I prefer not to be a sheep, I like my imaginary characters, I've been telling stories in my head for over 40 years and it helps me a lot. But if you're not careful it can become an excuse, "oh I can't attend this function because I have aspergers", or you go round the cycle of "what is wrong with me?". Nothing, you are simply you. So seek advice, if it is good advice take it, if it is bad advice ignore it and use the label to help cope and not to define you.

New Threads

Top Bottom