• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you set your taskbar to auto-hide?

Do you set your taskbar to auto-hide?

• Yes

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 14 66.7%

• Total voters
No... It annoys me for some reason, my son's is set, but he's got a netbook so I guess it makes sense for him. I don't know maybe I'll do it eventually, at this point I don't want to.

I used to in the past, but I don't do it now anymore. I can see that if you have a tidy desktop and a nice wallpaper it might be annoying, but I tend to keep it more functional. Heck, I still use windows XP and have the classic theme on with the "dull" grey bar and windows.

Hence, there's a lot of icons going on in my quickstart box next to the Start menu (keeps some of my most used icons away from cluttering the desktop). One thing I did switch off, as that annoys me way too much, is the clock.

And also, I think my resolution is high enough not to have it be that annoying and in your face

I have mine set in 2 rows, the first or top row is for the quick launch toolbar and I also have a toolbar of "My Computer" for quick access to HDD's
The second or bottom row shows everything that is currently open. Then yes, I do have it disappear from view until I wheel the mouse over it ; ]

No. I like the icons on the lower right corner. I have a CPU and temperature monitor there so I can always check to see if my computer is overheating. Plus, the blue Windows XP theme is beautiful!

You mean the default Windows XP theme? I loathe it.

Perhaps he is talking about the Windows Media Center theme? That's what I first thought but then I realized that the default XP theme is also blue. Been years since I used it.

You mean the default Windows XP theme? I loathe it.

Yup. The default XP theme with the blue taskbar and green start button. I prefer the calm feel of the blue/green theme compared to the metropolitan grayness of more modern themes. I think its retro-ness complements my Thinkpad which still has the old 'IBM' label over it. I am quite fond of retro and outdated things...

I always keep mine hidden. It just gets in the way. I like to run my programs maximized, and the taskbar covers the bottom of the screen hiding part of the display. I can get it any time I want using the Windows key, Ctrl-Esc, or moving the mouse to the bottom of the screen.

Sure, the only reason being to reclaim the 40 or so pixels occupied by it. But I see no reason at all why we can't get along and share the same bountiful pixel space provided by my 1080p monitor :)

Good question here, do you set your browser to full screen or do you absolutely desire access to your address bar and menu at all times?

No I don't hide it as I am visually impaired I need to have things in easy memory so that I know excatly where it is or in the same place just so I don't have to monkey with settings. I find it much easier that way.

I use "do not track software" because I do not want ads targeted to my browsing history. Once in a while I will turn off the "do not track" add-ons and "go shopping" for real cool stuff. I "shop" for Lamborghinis, Bugattis, Harley Davidson MCs, 5 star hotels, vacations in Tahiti, Patek Phillip watches, large diamonds, Dom Perignon, Chateau Lafitte, etc..

The ads I get after my "shopping sprees" are much more tasteful than the ones I would get if they tracked my regular browsing: They would be trying to sell me stuff from Home Depot, pc microcenter, amazon etc.

no. even though i have a netbook i like to see my start bar at all times. i don't know why guess it's just personal preference. blue is my favorite color so i like to see my default blue XP start bar.

Nope... I have to see the taskbar, see what's running, see the clock ticking... and besides, I have a triple monitor setup now... if the task-bar where to hide I probably won't find it.

Yup. In all devices, though it can pop up easily unwanted and distracting.

On netbook it is really necessity, and 1920 x 1080 screen would look too wide without.

It's such a small thing, but it sliding in and out of existence drives me nuts. It genuinely irritates me.
So, no.

Did it to a friend's system once, along with hiding all his icons, and setting his desktop background to a screenshot of the desktop.

OH the call I got :D

I do. Having to wait a third of a second for it to pop back up is worth it not being there.

That and dislike it cutting into my wallpapers/fullscreen space.

New Threads

Top Bottom