• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you prefer to watch international TV/Movies with English Dubbing or English Subtitles?

AGXStarseed

I think we've all watched a TV Show or Movie from another country - whether it was anime like Pokemon or Spirited Away, or live-action like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or Chocolate.
My question is, however, do you prefer to watched them 'subbed' or 'dubbed'?

For me, it depends on the content.
For the most part, I'm for dubbing as its often easier for me to get into the story that way and the quality of some can be really good (such as Disney's dubbing of the Studio Ghibli films). One film where I prefer the dubbed to the subbed version is the 2009 Russian superhero movie Black Lightning, which I actually got really into with the English dub but struggled when I having to read throughout the film.

At the same time, I recognize that with some dubs it can become hard to take the story and characters seriously; An example been Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster (which had one character with a really annoying voice).

What about you guys?

Last edited:
I think we've all watched a TV Show or Movie from another country - whether it was anime like Pokemon or Spirited Away, or live-action like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

For the most part, I'm for dubbing as its often easier for me to get into the story that way and the quality of some can be really good (such as Disney's dubbing of the Studio Ghibli films). One film where I prefer the dubbed to the subbed version is the 2009 Russian superhero movie Black Lightning, which I actually got really into with the English dub but struggled when I having to read throughout the film.

At the same time, I recognise that with some dubs it can become hard to take the story and characters seriously; An example been Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster (which had one character with a really annoying voice).

What about you guys?
prefer subtitles always

I prefer subtitles for British and international movies and shows. I'm American and sometimes I struggle to understand a British accent. Although I speak some Spanish, enough to get by when we vacation in Mexico, I need subtitles to really follow fast paced Spanish dialogue.

Dubbing, because I find I sometimes can't keep up with the subtitles and I feel like I'm not really watching what's going on, because I have to concentrate on the subtitles.

Subtitles for me, all the way. Then I can switch the language and see how my French is doing. Would be nice if they offered Latin or Attic Greek.

Subtitles if I don't speak the language, nothing if I do, and certainly no dubbing unless you want me to go in a rage over how poorly it's done, how messed up the voice casting is, etc. But it's an industry I've been in, so there's probably a lot of past frustration coming at play in that reaction. And I suspect that something dubbed in English will be infinitely better than dubbed in any Romance language, too.

Dubbing, exclusively.

1. If there's subtitles, all I can do is focus on reading the subtitles and I miss what's actually happening. I might as well just read a book.

2. Pursuant to above: I watch shows, I don't read shows. Might as well be a book at that point.

Occasionally, especially if in certain languages. Personally I've never minded reading subtitles. Though I continually hear from those who do. Their loss, I suppose.

i prefer only subs because i think that dubbing its perversion.
the voice of the actors is part of their work, part of what they have invested in the film. and the dubbing simply destroys the whole atmosphere of the film. I watched the dubbed version of the movie "the last emperor", "the dreamers" and a lot of things in the dubbing and I understand that it does not convey the full picture that the director wanted to show us.
I always watch anime and korean variety shows with subtitles. it is not hard for me to read subs and it helps to learn the language on which you watch a movie or a cartoon.
I prefer the dubbed to the subbed version is the 2009 Russian superhero movie Black Lightning,
I thought that in other countries people dont watch russian movies, we here consider them awful. but the black lightning is really not the worst of them...

I prefer English subs. It’s just really weird for me to see people in movies all speak English in their daily life…

Subtitles definitely. I hate it when words don't match the lip movements. Also you get the original soundscape.

My daughter prefers watching English programmes with subtitles for some reason. So there is another Aspie trait to wonder at.

One good thing about subtitles is you read the words and don't have to focus on faces so much.

I don't mind dubbing on animations so much though.

I think we've all watched a TV Show or Movie from another country - whether it was anime like Pokemon or Spirited Away, or live-action like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

At the same time, I recognise that with some dubs it can become hard to take the story and characters seriously; An example been Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster (which had one character with a really annoying voice).

What about you guys?
I usually prefer subtitles. Btw, I love Studio Ghibli! But a great example for me was "Grave of the Fireflies" - the dubbed voice of the little girl was so creepy and weird (at least on the version I had).

I prefer dubbing because I have trouble processing what I'm reading, and the movie's visuals simultaneously. Basically, I can only focus on one or the other, and always miss the other aspect of the film.

Subs, I strongly dislike dubbed content. Although I prefer to watch content without subs altogether, as I get distracted by the numerous mistakes subs often contain. It's a plus that I can understand quite a few languages, so I usually understand what's going on when watching an unsubbed movie. I'm glad I grew up in the Netherlands where movies and shows aren't usually dubbed, just subtitled. As opposed to many European countries that make a habit of dubbing everything. A lot of my understanding of English originally came from watching english-spoken movies and playing video games.

I especially dislike when documentaries (mostly American-made, for some reason) dub people that don't speak English, but the dubbing is delayed a few seconds after the person starts talking, and recorded over the other person's voice so that you hear the original sound in the background. Why?! Why would someone do this? It's like they're deliberately trying to be annoying. There must be some reason why they do this, but I can't figure it out.

I especially dislike when documentaries (mostly American-made, for some reason) dub people that don't speak English, but the dubbing is delayed a few seconds after the person starts talking, and recorded over the other person's voice so that you hear the original sound in the background. Why?! Why would someone do this? It's like they're deliberately trying to be annoying. There must be some reason why they do this, but I can't figure it out.

Excellent question. I'm thinking it's one of those classic examples of communication where Neurotypicals default to their way of doing things, without any regard at all for how difficult it can be for those of us on the spectrum to process two conversations at the same time, let alone in two different languages. :eek:

I can only guess that this is construed as a creative technique thought to project authenticity. However for many of us, it just adds to difficulty in understanding what is actually said. :rolleyes:

Subtitles. I hate dubbing with a passion, I'm constantly aware that the words aren't matching the mouth movements (even in anime) and the voice actors are mostly american and the accents really annoy me (sorry americans). Subtitles also provide an opportunity to learn a bit of the language, I know Japanese to get by thanks to my teenaged anime phase.

Excellent question. I'm thinking it's one of those classic examples of communication where Neurotypicals default to their way of doing things, without any regard at all for how difficult it can be for those of us on the spectrum to process two conversations at the same time, let alone in two different languages. :eek:

I can only guess that this is construed as a creative technique thought to project authenticity. However for many of us, it just adds to difficulty in understanding what is actually said. :rolleyes:
It's the cheapest form of translation, as opposed to full dubbing that matches (well, sort of) lip movements. It's called voice over, so it's all in the name ;) If you're lucky, it's done in a studio that was able to turn down the original track enough so that it doesn't interfere with the voice over, but they're generally too sloppy and cheap to do that, so here, good luck sorting out what you're trying to listen to.

I could actually go on a much more detailed explanation of all things dubbing & subbing, complete with cultural stereotypes that are involved and the entire process, but I don't want to bore everyone...

Last edited:
If you're lucky, it's done in a studio that was able to turn down the original track enough so that it doesn't interfere with the voice over, but they're generally to sloppy and cheap to do that, so here, good luck sorting out what you're trying to listen to.

But that's just it. How low the volume of the other track must go becomes relative to the individual listener. Though let's face it. Recording studios aren't going to make such considerations either. Especially for every one out of sixty-eight listeners.

In my own case, I'd not want to hear the other track at all. That way I can optimally process what is said, rather than nominally process it or lose something in the translation having to hear one person talking over another. As if I was at a party. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom