• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you need to be a part of a Church to be considered a "Christian?"

Do you have to be a part of a Church to be a Christian?

• Total voters

VernalSole1355

Fellow members of the faith, lend me your ears.

TL;DR on my situation, I'm leaving my church because I feel like I am being actively lied to & discriminated against because of my circumstances (this includes but is not limited to my Autism).

After being hurt by this "Church", I'm wondering. Churches everywhere claim you "have" to be apart of a "Church" to be considered a true "Christian". For every denomination, it's different, but ultimately it's the same. You have to be in THAT building every so often and engage with THAT community to be a true "Christian". But after being hurt by one in this manner... I'm questioning whether you need to even be apart of a physical church.

So I'm wondering, in your opinion, do you have to be a part of a Church, or a Church-like organization to be a Christian?

I have voted No.
And that is the truth, but I would strongly recommend being linked in to other believers

That's not true. What about all the monks and hermits throughout history that devoted their lives to Christ and to their fellow man?

Whoever believes in Him will not perish, but will have everlasting life. It says right there. I believe that there are more heaven bound souls on death row than in many churches.

Last edited:
I am a literal person. If a person does not belong to a Christian church are they somehow prevented from believing in Christ?

If a person didn't belong to a Christian church but believed in Christ and they died, would God bar them from Heaven on a technicality?

Sadly, I have known a good number of people in my life that actually do believe God is a bureaucrat to the point that they live in fear of going to hell of getting most everything right but maybe missing something and therefore being banned from Heaven. A healthy fear of God is one where we're to "fear" (ie be in awe of) God's omnipotence. An unhealthy fear of God is one where we actually do fear that God is a vengeful, angry or even petty ruler and we need to quiver and hide from God's unpredictable wrath.

A few other thoughts:

Although Jesus did tell a leper to go to the priests and show them that he was cured of leprosy (which could possibly be implied that he was directing him to church/synagogue), what about the other people he cured?

• The blind man certainly believed in Christ after he was cured of blindness. Did Jesus tell him he needed to go to church?
  • The woman at the well? "Go and sin no more." That's different than saying "Follow me; I'm starting a new church that accepts all people including Samaritans so I want you to join."
  • Zacchaeus. Doubtful that Jesus said Zacchaeus should follow him (ie join my church) because Zacchaeus was going to be busy giving back the money he stole from people. He had a different job to do to make things right.
  • The Roman soldier and his family of which Jesus raised his daughter from the dead. Jesus didn't say "Follow me now (ie join my Church).
  • The Gerasene demoniac. He was cured. He stayed with the Gerasenes.
In all of the cases above we can presume that the cured and the forgiven believed in Jesus but were not directed to go to church.

"Thou art Peter (rock) and upon this rock I will build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."

^ Rather than: Thou art Peter (rock) and upon this rock I will build my church and unless people participate in my church, they won't go to Heaven.

Last edited:
I voted no. Just today I walked in to the empty, quiet church and listened to the silence, but for the old clock ticking. One or two others went in and out in the peaceful hour I was there. Mostly I just savoured the peace, as I am specifically invited to do by the friendly notice on the church door.

I would definitely not be comfortable attending church when it's busy with a service. I am not there for social engagement. But there's actually only one, one hour service per week. Mostly it's empty.

I'm sorry you have been badly treated, @VernalSole1355 , and it's not the first time I have heard of such a thing. People forget what faith is really about, it seems to me.

So I'm wondering, in your opinion, do you have to be a part of a Church, or a Church-like organization to be a Christian?

In the end, it's simply a matter between you as a single soul, God and Christ.

Cosmically speaking, what the rest thinks is of no consequence. Does such a belief system even require a label or a name? Not in my opinion.

Last edited:
No, I don't believe you have to go to church to be a Christian. God is everywhere, not just at church. I'm a Christian but don't go to church. For my faith I usually just read stuff, listen to podcasts, and am in four Facebook groups.

Tbh, I am a little bit surprised at the unanimous "No" so far, but I appreciate all of you giving me your opinions on the matter. Thank you.

Raised in the church, went to a religious college; worked for the college and got to see all the hypocrisy up close. It started at the most publicly pious students and went all the way to the college president. Christian, but haven't been able to set foot in an organized church in years.

Long before there was a Christian church there was this guy, he was a bit of a rebel, encouraging others to seek connection with God and not be bound by rules set forth by old, judgmental men with beards. He became pretty popular and took to sharing his thoughts with others where ever he could. Mountain tops, forests, river banks and public market places too. He made it a point that everyone was included.
Huh, I wonder whatever happened to that guy....

Becoming a Christian precedes going to church, but a good church can help one grow in their Christianity.

"And let us consider one another
in order to stir up love and good works,​
not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together,
as is the manner of some,​
but exhorting one another,
and so much the more as you see the Day approaching."

Last edited:
Nope, that's not necessary. I used to be an atheist until I had several near death experiences and then I switched to being part agnostic (not really religious/always questioning) due to experiences I had. I've never attended a proper church session but I have been to them before for walk-throughs and events. Unless there were animals present, I tended to have experiences that made me uneasy due to the increased-possibly supernatural-presences in them since I'm very energy-sensitive, so they're actually something I tend to avoid. You do not need to attend church or even like being near one to have good faith-I don't even read the bible regularly. If you have belief, that's enough. Church itself is primarily just an extension of a habitat of God, who is already (probably potentially) everywhere. Though in my experience, I tend to practice projecting good energy and good thoughts to angels which does help the air around me feel lighter and has actually prevented me from being sicker sometimes. That's all I need-I don't ask for anything that much, living is enough.

The bible says you need to go to church, not those exact words but ok.
Its important the 'ambience' church meetings can 'create', specially in a good church (Gods presence is present and you can even sense it), when brothers reunite God 'sends blessings and eternal life', and there is protection when congregating, your soul is going to be kept not drying up and becoming cold, and the preachings can keep us working to be better christians etc.

I don't go to church often, so I'm not trying to set a double standard, but I think it's important to be a member of a church. We need a group of people to lift us up, carry our burdens, and inspire us to be our best possible selves, and we need to learn to do that for others too.

But like I said before, no, you don't need to ever step foot in a church in order to be a Christian. Christian is Greek. It means "Little Christ" or "Christ Follower". It doesn't say anything about "Congregation Follower" or "Televangelist Love Gift Supporter".

Last edited:
I would say no it is not necessary. I feel we can connect with God and follow and live the teachings without attending church.
However, I do like to go to Church sometimes. I go on a day when I know it will be quiet - like a weekday service. My local church has a webcam now and I can watch services online - this is a good option for me too.

New Threads

Top Bottom