• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you need time to warm to an artist?

Pariah Dog

Just wondering if there is a common factor among aspies. Some of my favorite bands/artists were once acts that I would hear and think "meh... it's alright." Then I would hear it more and get more into it. In some cases I would go on to LOVE them.

For me this is how I felt about the band Dream Theater. I could probably piece many more examples but this has been a more recent part of me having been a fan for less than a year so far. I wish I had been exposed to them when I was a teenager.

I don't think I've ever had that. The only additional feeling would be nostalgia years later I guess. I like most music though, auditory stim is my main. Instead though I have a handful of songs that I hate hate hate from the time I first hear them. I loathe these songs so much it feels like it gets inside me and I get this really negative feeling. Kind of like how when I touch bad textures it feels awful crawling on my skin. 'Bad music' or music that I just don't like seeps inside me and can lead to a meltdown if I am already close or stressed.

I have the same way to love music. or even the song does not cause me any feelings until I hear it in some sad movie for example.

Just wondering if there is a common factor among aspies. Some of my favorite bands/artists were once acts that I would hear and think "meh... it's alright." Then I would hear it more and get more into it. In some cases I would go on to LOVE them.

For me this is how I felt about the band Dream Theater. I could probably piece many more examples but this has been a more recent part of me having been a fan for less than a year so far. I wish I had been exposed to them when I was a teenager.
I have always been like this with new musical albums by artists I loved. I think I got into the group/artist right away based on whatever song caught my attention, but the other songs, new albums....I had to listen more than once to really discover how much I liked them. I think it took me a while to just make sense of the sound enough to really hear what I was listening to, for it to musically come into focus for me so that it wasn't just more random sounding.

New Threads

Top Bottom