• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you mask more or less on different forums?

Hylian

Fellow DbD Enjoyer
V.I.P Member
For people who have used different ASD forums, have you ever noticed a difference in the need to mask on certain forums over others?

I've noticed that on WP (which is the only other site I've used) I mask more than on here. It's easier to be a bit more authentic as this site seems more open to people with symptoms/traits that can have an obvious effect on their posts. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but there's something that makes me want to present myself a bit differently to fit in there.

Does anyone else experience this?

No but I try my best to keep each account I have on forums and other sites "self contained" as much as possible by always using a different username and sometimes putting on a different persona with various exceptions. This is done to lessen the chance of me being doxed.

What would it mean to mask online? I would think most traits and behaviors associated with autism (stimming, lack of eye contact, flat or inappropriate facial expressions or voice, etc) wouldn't really come across online anyway.

What would it mean to mask online? I would think most traits and behaviors associated with autism (stimming, lack of eye contact, flat or inappropriate facial expressions or voice, etc) wouldn't really come across online anyway.
I'm not really sure how to explain it, but in my experience there's some subtle differences in how I act and present myself on different sites in an effort to fit in as NT (like on regular social media) or be seen as more high functioning (like in ASD groups who react better to higher functioning people).

On more mainstream sites like Reddit I wont express any confusion with things people have said out of fear of breaking some sort of social rule and being seen as weird/stupid, don't talk about things I recognize as autistic/unusual traits or will downplay them when talking about them, try to make my posts seem more similar in style and organization to the people I'm talking to than how I prefer to actually write things, etc. I use a very muted version of that on WP, but on here I'm still more comfortable with expressing my authentic self and talking about my issues and behaviours.

I basically try to emulate how I see NT/higher functioning people carry themselves online so I don't cause issues with people and get rejected, which is the reason I mask IRL so I guess that's why I called this behaviour masking. I don't know if that's the right term, though. Either way, I'm hiding/tweaking things about me and my behaviour so I fit in more.

Not that I am aware of. But my demeanor is often shaped by the tone of the forum. If the place is mellow than so am I usually. If the place is full of contention, I tend towards being contentious. I suppose I am a chameleon to a degree.

For people who have used different ASD forums, have you ever noticed a difference in the need to mask on certain forums over others?

No, but I wonder if that's because I am who I am. I'm the same here as I am on my own site as I am on Railpage as I am on Whirlpool...

The only time I'm not masking is when I'm on my own, at home. If I'm interacting with people, inevitably there's going to be some degree of masking involved. On an NT platform like Facebook I have to mask a lot more than here (not that I use FB much, it's just an example), on another autism forum I used to belong to I masked less. This one is somewhere in the middle, in part because it is quite strictly moderated. I sometimes can't say exactly what I'm thinking because a moderator might come along and warn, delete, censor, etc. Also, I'm dealing with people in a social situation, and I need to be aware of how what I say might come across to others and therefore moderate my own posts. I'm not a person to seek out conflict or want to cause offence or upset, but I'm prone to misinterpretation and if I express myself freely, that might happen, online or offline.

I just refuse to mask. Just utter refusal.

And if anyone has a problem with it, well... that's their problem, not mine.

As for WP, well... honestly, it's a pretty slimy place. I dont think I need to say more.

I find my behavior different on every platform because of how it's laid out, the standards and what is posted. I may find myself a lurker in lot of places and may find myself posting on one website and not as much at the other. And it also depends on the members too that are posting there.

As for WP, I had learned to post less and watch my sense of humor. I have gotten wild accusations and I still get put on the naughty list.

I also use different usernames for each website as well and hide who I follow on social media. I don't want to be judged on based on what subs I am subscribed to or who I am following and I don't want to be guilty by association and be lumped into a bad group because of it.

People will judge based on who follows you, what sites or channels you follow, and what subs you are subscribed too and it doesn't matter if you haven't posted or haven't said anything bad, people just judge.

New Threads

Top Bottom