• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you make your own music ?

GoofKing

All your bases are belong to us
I mean with software like Hydrogen drum machine, Audacity, Terminator X or anything capable of making music ?

Hmm, I guess I can't upload the two songs I made with Hydrogen but they were practically just something I made up with different drum patterns while changing the tone of some of the drums to play different notes ...

I mean with software like Hydrogen drum machine, Audacity, Terminator X or anything capable of making music ?

Hmm, I guess I can't upload the two songs I made with Hydrogen but they were practically just something I made up with different drum patterns while changing the tone of some of the drums to play different notes ...

I write and record my own songs! (And I love it when someone else brings it up, lol)

I've been using Cakewalk Sonar 4 Producer Edition for the past...whoa...eleven years, though not consecutively. I haven't programmed anything in a while; I'm trying to compose and arrange for a live ensemble, so I don't write anything I can't play myself.

My marriage just ended, so I'm living on my own for the first time in ages, and I've got a backlog of about thirty songs to write and record. I've got until the first of June before anyone else moves into the house where I'm renting an apartment, so I've been spending the evenings recording drum tracks!

Re: uploading your songs--I put mine on SoundCloud for sharing purposes. You can check 'em out here--soundcloud.com/danielbutterfield.

Well it has been four years & I haven't been able to really make any headway in music. I used to produce an "album" a year but then I had an accident and apparently never got over it. I mean yes it was a big accent & I almost died but I didn't & I can't allow self doubt hold me back any longer.

The accident in 2010 took a greater toll of my music then it should have. I got scared off some how thinking: “Why do I do this? What is the point?” The point is I NEED to!!!! Mainly for creative reasons, I need to have a creative outlet.

So this album is how the accent changed me. I am now a different person but somehow the same. I have learnt quite alot about myself now & still learning.

Starting with just before the accent with kill me now. Then on to the changes eg. Love, AS & not knowing where I’m going. Ending with a thank you for seeing me through.

So far I'm have just put Kill Me Now up on BandCamp because I need to work out the order & record one or two missing tracks.

I'm listening to the music from your previous post :D I'm gonna see if my dad would let me buy the digital album "Slaughter the humans" :)

Yeah, I do.. at times. Haven't done anything productively with it recently. Some other interests took precedence for the time being.

Besides, I just know I'm not the type of person to play around a lot until I come up with something... I tend to be hit with inspiration and have to get working on it. So for me it's more of a "let's do other things until I get with with a stroke of genius" type of thing.

There have been a few random "doodles" on my soundcloud from things I did in the past though. Link is in my signature.

I'm in two minds: 1. amazed and thankful, 2. want to get your email so I can email the tracks to you

A somewhat related question to all who record their own music; how do you do it? Which software? Any hardware? What's your set-up like?

A somewhat related question to all who record their own music; how do you do it? Which software? Any hardware? What's your set-up like?
My setup at the moment is very basic: a MacBook Pro with Garageband, a mic & piano with usb outlets.

I have several methods of recording music depending on what I'm trying to do, the trouble is I genuinely have no faith in my own material and only tend to share the covers that I have made, I have a couple of original tracks on my soundcloud page which I only uploaded because they were part of my songwriting module at university and I put them there as a backup just incase the university managed to lose the CDs I gave them.

For songwriting and producing contemporary commercial music I like to use cubase with my line 6 audio interface - it's not much but it does the job. I also use MIDI for classical style composition and video game soundtracks. Because I hate the inbuilt general MIDI sounds I prefer to use soundfonts for playback of the MIDI compositions I do, although I still use cubase for MIDI composition as it's just the software I am most comfortable with due to familiarity.

I always try to produce something, but I always fail and end up quitting, I try to create something with FL Studio 11 which is probably bad software to use.

I'm in two minds: 1. amazed and thankful, 2. want to get your email so I can email the tracks to you

He he, no need :p I want to pay for them because I want to help people out like this :D

I believe in giving people compliments and maybe suggestions on their artwork. The internet needs more considerate and good mannered people rather then those like the people from Youtube who would take the time to tell a user that his or her re-dub video sucks because they have no clue on how hard and time consuming making videos or music could be ..

I will revisit this thread after getting some sleep - I've spend most of the last 48 hours working on a track! I am rather heavily into this topic, and look forward to reading everyone's posts when I'm actually awake! :D

My set-up?

Software: Cakewalk Sonar 4 Producer Edition for multitrack recording and mixing. SoundForge for mastering the final stereo track.
Sound card: Edirol DA2496 8-in, 8-out.
Mixer: Behringer Eurorack MX 2004A
Microphones: A few dynamic mics, including a Shure SM58; A Marshall MX9090 condenser.

I record guitars (including bass) through a Zoom GFX-707 effects processor. I record acoustic guitars, vocals and trumpet with the condenser mic.
Guitars: 1957 Martin six-string acoustic; Samick 12-string acoustic; Dean 6-string electric; a modified Fender Telecaster 6-string electric; Fender Musicmaster bass.
Keyboards: I just ordered and am awaiting the delivery of a Yamaha P-150 digital piano, about which I am very excited! Also have a Roland JX-10 Super JX with some keys that won't sound again until I get it worked on. Also a Yamaha FB-01 FM synthesizer unit (that I can play by MIDI input from a controller).
Drums: a vintage Stewart 4-piece kit, with a crash and a ride cymbal. Recording drums: A dynamic mic in the kick (don't have a proper kick mic right now, but it helps), the SM58 mic just above and to the left of the snare, pointing towards the floor tom. The condenser is positioned as an overhead to the right of the floor tom in line with the SM58 (to avoid phase problems), pointing down at the snare.

How do I do it?

I like laying the drums down first (playing along to a click track) to establish a groove and sometimes a general arrangement to work from (if I haven't already figured it out). Then what comes next depends on the tune. Typically bass next, then guitar or keys. Vocals and backing vocals next. Then other stuff for flavor, including additional guitar, synth or percussion tracks. I also own a shaker, tambourine, a trumpet, and a G-scale diatonic harmonica (which I'm just learning to play).

I just discovered the Berklee School of Music's free online learning materials. Great, great advice to be found there on producing records. I learned most of what I know about miking instruments and mixing tracks from a handy little free program called Studio Buddy. I learned how to equalize from The Equalization Primer. I currently don't have flat-EQ reference monitors; those are essential for mixing and mastering tracks. (I intend to get some soon.)

Sometimes I'll start recording a tune with very little established and see what happens; other times I know exactly how I want it to go before I start. Typically, when I've got a new batch of material I want to tackle, I start by recording a few covers to "warm up" and establish a sound. I've got a somewhat different setup than what I used to record my last batch of music, which was back in 2005-2006. Mostly different instruments and microphones, but same sound card and software.

Going to attempt to lay down drums for a vocal cover of Toots Theilemans' "Bluesette" now!

Last edited:

Im using sonar 8.5producer on a quad core PC, along with soundforge and melodyne. It's an old machine, running XP with 2gb memory. I use soft synths nowadays for pretty much everything. kontakt is great :) My samples are all on a ssd. Stuff like Hollywood strings, nice drumkits (too many to even remember let alone list!), nice collections of exotic stuff from a few favourite vst companies (not the major players, sort of boutique stuff).

I do have a guitar or two (one less since a (ex)friend of mine pawned it because I lent it to him and he was broke - seriously! :( I love my 5 string bass :)

Shure sm57 and 58, rode nt2 condenser, focusrite preamp, tc helicon vocal processor and tc electronic finaliser into the PC.

Nice old p200 electric piano for master keyboard duties.

Tambourine, shaker, penny whistle, triangle. :D

It's all set up digitally (all the hardware is optically/digitally connected) and so my input channel for mic/guitar is lovely and clean. I'm getting pretty decent results, with the weak point being the room I'm in. It's "not the best" acoustically as it's my bedroom studio nowadays!!

I've set it up for songwriting and demo production. Good enough for me and my private world. Probably good enough for professional work except for my inaccurate monitoring situation.

I've used the same monitor speakers for close to 20 years now, so know the tricks required. Generally I can mix to acceptable standards for most systems (headphone, iPod, computer speaker, car stereo, hi fi etc). I've got a lot of miles on the clock mixing with them!

I'm supposed to be working on three demos to send to a publisher at the end of this month. I am working with the same friend who has just admitted to pawning my guitar I lent him. This is probably classed as an "awkward situation"...

This is an itch I have wanted to scratch for YEARS, I used to back in the stone age with software that isn't compatible anymore... Cakewalk was one program but a very antiquated version. This was at least 13 years ago. Now I'm married with children and my husband always says he'll buy me the software for Christmas if I tell him what I want but I'm so out of touch with it now that I don't know where to begin! So I'll just stalk this thread and see what everyone else is using and do that.

New Threads

Top Bottom