• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do You Like to Cook?

Galaxy Freeze

Do you guys like cooking? Are you even able to?

I don't like it, AND I can barely cook anything. I'm a microwave/frozen dinner/toaster kind of person. Just give Kraft Mac and Cheese, some milk and cereal, or some money to go out and order fast food and I'll be happy. lol

I didn't cook until I want to college. Now I like to cook a little & want to learn more. Its an artform & if you are a health freak like me, you can control what is put into your body. ;) Anyhoo lately I've been starting with easy stuff.

Yeah, I'll probably do it more in college. But the cool thing is that my college has a culinary program, and in the dorms most culinary students are paired up with the other art students, so I can have someone cook for me most of the time, lol!

:p:bounce: Great! Sounds fantastic. What is your major going to be? Writing? If so you can write a review of your roomates cooking for the college paper! ;D

Haha, I know!

Actually, I'm going into the Media Arts and Animation category. I want computer animation to be a career, I'll do writing as a side hobby and hopefully make some extra money off of it.

Yes and no.

Yes because: I'm assured that nothing gross was put into the food unbeknownst to me. Without the paranoia that someone might have done that, food I make tends to taste better to me than other people's cooking.

No because: I hate putting effort into stuff I'm not very passionate about. I love eating, but am not at all interested in preparing meals. This is why I tend to prepare meals that take no more than ten minutes to make.

Excellent! Sounds like a good field with future growth. I was offered 2 jobs in that field. The first was highly creative*** laid back, offered training but started off low pay. I was looking for a full time job in photography & turned it down. Yeah I know, not a genius idea since photography was much harder than I realized. Years later I refused another job in a related field-it was more technical for a manufacturer/factory? That boss was very anal retentive. It was far, in a bad area & I would of been fired in a few months.

Haha, I know!

Actually, I'm going into the Media Arts and Animation category. I want computer animation to be a career, I'll do writing as a side hobby and hopefully make some extra money off of it.

Time for a cooking quote!

Coach visits apartment of new heavyweight prospect

Coach "so, do you cook?"

Boxer "I boil stuff, pasta..." ;D

Yes and no.

Yes because: I'm assured that nothing gross was put into the food unbeknownst to me. Without the paranoia that someone might have done that, food I make tends to taste better to me than other people's cooking.

No because: I hate putting effort into stuff I'm not very passionate about. I love eating, but am not at all interested in preparing meals. This is why I tend to prepare meals that take no more than ten minutes to make.

Galaxy Freeze, NO! Most of the things that you mentioned eating have an adverse effect on people with Autism. Processed foods, sugars, chemicals and preservatives are all known to be worse for us than most people. PLEASE consider finding more healthy alternatives. I think you would begin to notice that you would be feeling better.
I'm not judging, just trying to help.

I enjoy cooking, trying new recipes and then modifying them. It's more healthy than consuming ready-prepared meals from the supermarket or dining out, and frequently much cheaper too. I think it is a nice way to show that you care for someone, or someone else shows that they care for me when they spend time preparing a nice meal for me. I keep a notebook with quick, healthy meal ideas to help with menu planning, shopping lists and for unplanned events, such as when I arrive home from work and feel too tired to spend a lot of time cooking.

I can't cook to save my life, unless you count heating up ready meals or using the toaster. The most advanced I can manage from scratch is an omelette, but even then I mostly end up burning them. :p When I took home economics classes in Year 8 at school, we learnt how to make things like soups and stews and occasionally we made cookies or cupcakes. I didn't enjoy all the fuss that came with preparing the foods and found it quite stressful. Every so often though, my mum makes a Victoria sponge and sometimes asks me to help her by doing things like beating the eggs or mixing the buttercream.

I hate cooking! if I was on my own I would just live off breakfast cereal, which I did before I met my partner.

I can't cook to save my life, unless you count heating up ready meals or using the toaster. The most advanced I can manage from scratch is an omelette, but even then I mostly end up burning them. :p When I took home economics classes in Year 8 at school, we learnt how to make things like soups and stews and occasionally we made cookies or cupcakes. I didn't enjoy all the fuss that came with preparing the foods and found it quite stressful. Every so often though, my mum makes a Victoria sponge and sometimes asks me to help her by doing things like beating the eggs or mixing the buttercream.

Haha, yeah me too. I also took a home economics class in junior high, but the cooking unit went by way too fast and it was way too stressful. People just bossed me around and told me I sucked at cooking. Well, no duh! I hated my group mates so much, so judgmental of me. At least I tried! Working as a chef would just stress me out, that's one career I know I'll never look into.

Galaxy Freeze, NO! Most of the things that you mentioned eating have an adverse effect on people with Autism. Processed foods, sugars, chemicals and preservatives are all known to be worse for us than most people. PLEASE consider finding more healthy alternatives. I think you would begin to notice that you would be feeling better.
I'm not judging, just trying to help.

How come it has a worse effect on Autistic people? (I'm not mad, just curious) I don't eat that stuff ALL the time, but generally yes because there's nothing at the house I find appetizing usual. ...:( I know, it sucks. But even though I eat that stuff a lot, I am so thin that I almost look anorexic...

I don't really like to cook, and I don't dislike it either, but I do it anyway. It's become my task at home to cook dinner, just kind of naturally happened. My girlfriend is the better cook of the two of us but she makes lunches and breakfasts so I do dinner. I've learned how to make a bunch of different meals now, which is better than the maybe 2 I could make before we moved in together years ago. It is nice though to make the dinners because it gives me time at the end of the day to be alone chopping vegetables and cooking dinner in a contemplative or relaxed state (less relaxed than contemplative usually). I do wish I was more creative in the cooking area, but I have to follow recipes to the letter which is sometimes hard in itself haha.

I can identify. As a kid I was asst baker to my mom. Whatever utensils & bowls she used for cookies, cakes, etc, I got to "clean up" with my tongue....mmmmmmm! Though lately me "hunting" skills have progressed to "finding" a kill in the freezer & cooking chicken. Basic stuff like that besides the ole oatmeal, eggs, pasta, sammiches routine ;)

Simple-don't use food products with high sodium, sugar, fat or lots of artificial preservatives. This will take some time but frozen foods & basically any kind of prepackaged foods tend to have high amounts of the above. Plus those ingredients are poison for our bodies. Also realize you are young, you can get away with eating this stuff. Eventually when you get older, these ingrediants can have a severe impact on your health & lifestyle. Good luck!

How come it has a worse effect on Autistic people? (I'm not mad, just curious) I don't eat that stuff ALL the time, but generally yes because there's nothing at the house I find appetizing usual. ...:( I know, it sucks. But even though I eat that stuff a lot, I am so thin that I almost look anorexic...

Last edited:
I've noticed that people who have a very restrictive diet - as in not liking a lot of foods, as opposed to choosing not to eat certain foods for other reasons - often don't like cooking, eat a bland diet and frequently have difficulty deciding what to eat.

I eat a wide range of foods and I find cooking for people with food texture issues can be rather challenging and frustrating. My ex-husband was convinced that some foods made him ill and he claimed to dislike others that I suspect he had never even tried. I used to enjoy disguising some of the foods that he wouldn't eat, watch him eat them and then tell me how nice the meal was - and he was never ill afterwards.

Has anyone here managed to overcome some of their food texture issues? How did you do it?

New Threads

Top Bottom