• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you like music and singing?

Iamnotarabot

This is one of my favorite thing in life, I mean, music in general. I no skill in the area whatsoever but I listen to music when ever I can.

When I was a kid I was randomly trying to sing what I heard on the radio while playing or stuff like that.
Also singed my lessons when I was at school before 12

And I can just spend an entiere day singing my favorite song in my room, I will even say that this is the only thing that make me feel good even afterward ( I doesnt get that from video game anymore)

For instance I just read something on reddit an hour ago and it reminded me off an old album of hoobstank and I had to sing it its been like 1h that im revisiting this album, its like im connecting with myself.

But I never sang in public I think im pretty bad at it, but realy I can take me into almost a transe state Ill just sing and sing and sing..I do that in shower too sometimes.

Im not even talking about how old music that I know make me feel goosebumps and how just remembering them sometimes make me feel that ( and most of the time I have music in my mind.)

Do you experience something similar with music?

And do you like asmr? ( I ask because well its still about sound lol)

I recently watched a YouTube video about how the music from around the age 14 tends to have a euphoric effect as it's around that time that we are forming our identities and really understanding what we like. Is that what you meant? I find I have something similar with bands like Tool or quite a few of the NuMetal bands from my youth, I just fall into some sort of memory pit and just sing along.

All I can say is, that yes, I still experience some cathartic sort of feeling with music and it's the only thing that truly takes me away from reality - especially when I find a really amazing new song - then it'll just get played on loop for hours!

I find music very relaxing and inspiring - I listen to it a lot of the time and often re-listen to favourites. I'm not a singer (I'm really not good at it at all), but I'll sing or hum every so often if I'm listening to music on my own and I'm sure no one else is around. Singing is supposed to be really good for mood and overall mental health so it's definitely a good thing to do if you feel comfortable with it!

Yeah thats totally that. But I would say a bit more than that like for me music is realy part of my life.

But Now I remember I did sing in a chorus when I was a kid, I stopped at the first time we sang in public OBVIOUSLY XD

This is true that the music of my teenage years have a special place, but music of video games I played as a kid make me feel a lot aswell.

When I was younger I had some euphoric moment and still sometime when I manage to let go and sing I feel realy in another dimension.

But also music many time make me feels goosebump and all^^ , When I want to cry I know what music to listen aswell !

Can you find that video you talked about?^^

Yes, quite a bit, when in the mood.

But I can do neither, basically sucking fumes genetically in those areas.

I agree, music is totally part of my life. If I haven't listened to any for a while I become pretty depressed. I was in a chorus when I was little too! But, if singing gives you joy - it doesn't matter if you can or can't. :p

Here's the video; it's a bit off topic, but your post made me think of it. :)

I always work better with familiar music, even when writing. It occupies the part of my mind that gets easily distracted so I can concentrate better. I have quite a broad taste, but I have a particular fondness for TV/movie theme tunes, soundtracks and video game music.
I used to play keyboards and programme sequencers/samplers/drum machines in a couple of bands, but I found collaborating with other musicians quite difficult. I still have the gear stashed away, but I've turned to other creative avenues since.
As to singing - my wife thinks I sing really well, but I think I sound awful!

I recently watched a YouTube video about how the music from around the age 14 tends to have a euphoric effect as it's around that time that we are forming our identities and really understanding what we like.

That's interesting & fits me to a T. Wasn't until that age that I started enjoying music.

I love to sing along to music if I can. But only if I'm very familiar with the lyrics. If I mess up I get annoyed! I've been told I have a very nice singing voice...

I love music----it's so powerful to people who are super sensitive. I am glad many of you share the same feeling about music. I wish I could sing, but I cannot. Unless it's @Gritches 's song when in PTSD mode! Then I can do it :)

I studied classical piano in college, teach piano, accompany choirs and a church, perform background music for parties or events, and perform in bands, and I was in choir for five years! But I actually don't really like music.

Just kidding! I credit music with saving my life. I see music as God or at least a pure expression of God, or something along those lines. I have music going every nearly every second of every day. Yay music!

I was gonna say something else but it fell out of my brain.

Yes, I love music. According to Last.fm I listen to an average of 50 tracks a day, that is the equivalent to about 5 albums and 4 hours, but in reality I listen a lot more than that, because it doesn't account for the fact that many of the albums I listen to have longer than average tracks, and the fact that I also listen a lot on my music system or mp3 player.

I do like music, although IMO after about 1988, the British Pop scene changed for the worst, to all that pants Boy Band and "Euro Dance" Nightclub music that dominated the '90s.

I do like music, although IMO after about 1988, the British Pop scene changed for the worst, to all that pants Boy Band and "Euro Dance" Nightclub music that dominated the '90s.

That doesnt stop you from listening to old song you like all day hehe. With youtube and all thats easy.
Im sure you can find some radio station dedicated to older music aswell^^

That doesnt stop you from listening to old song you like all day hehe. With youtube and all thats easy.
Im sure you can find some radio station dedicated to older music aswell^^

Radio? That's old news mate, I have an Alexa! (Amazon Echo device)

But I never sang in public I think im pretty bad at it, but realy I can take me into almost a transe state Ill just sing and sing and sing..I do that in shower too sometimes.
Singing in the shower can be kind of "dangerous" for me if I am taken into this trance state because I'll just sing and sing while my mind is wandering off and I forget that I'm actually supposed to shower and finish this instead of standing around there and singing.
This focus on the music can be helpful, too, though, for example when it comes to public events and singing in public. Just focusing on the music and singing makes it easier for me to deal with these events, even when they are crowded.
Im not even talking about how old music that I know make me feel goosebumps and how just remembering them sometimes make me feel that ( and most of the time I have music in my mind.)
I have music in my mind most of the time, too.
I actually "listen to" music in my mind much more often than I listen to "real music". I like the flexibility of this mental music. I can easily switch to a new song, combine songs, make up new melodies and do other interesting stuff this way.
I love to sing along to music if I can. But only if I'm very familiar with the lyrics. If I mess up I get annoyed!
I don't care much about the lyrics of songs in general, so it doesn't usually bother me to sing along to a song without or with wrong lyrics.
I sometimes even just hum along to music, so that the lyrics are irrelevant anyway. Plus, this technique works for songs without lyrics as well.

I joined and bombed with two different community choirs over the past couple of years.

I could belt out a passable pitch but ‘crashed and burned’ with the tea and biscuits part.
(Being a new face, other members want to know all about you, or so it felt)

If I could work out a scripted back story before hand, that might go some way toward helping with that part of joining a new group.

If I don’t feel like singing, I whistle along to a tune.

@Autistamatic,
Classic FM have a themed ‘Saturday Night at the Movies’ feature.
(If you like the film scores... and weren’t already aware)

I love to see a spectrum choir,
Turn up, sing, go home. Done.

Have been singing since I was quite young. And played a guitar for a time. Taught myself the solfege technique when I was in elementary school, when a sibling was taking music lessons and practised at home. With the exception of my father, everyone in my biological family was tone deaf. Sang in two choirs, one as a teenager and another in a small irish folk style singing group where we performed in churches. Have to say that I don't like performing in front of people though, the singing is only for me somehow, as it makes me at times feel happy or peaceful or sad depending on the song.

Last edited:
I don't sing well, and don't know the words to most songs, so I rarely sing words. But I play instruments and am often singing or humming bass parts and keyboard parts to songs.

New Threads

Top Bottom