• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you like lists?

Progster

Grown sideways to the sun
V.I.P Member
Do you like lists? If so, what sort of lists? Do you like making lists, or reading them, or both? Is it an ASD thing to like lists? Here's a list of the reasons why I like lists:

1. I find it much easier to read information if presented as a lost, rather than a text.

2. I have a preference for lists going down the page, rather than across.

3. It helps me to organize my thoughts abd prioritise if I make a list.

4. It helps me to remember information if I make a list.

5. I have a thing with data/stats/numbers, watching them decrease or increase.

6. Lists are fun. I love reading top ten lists, statistics, sites or blogs with lists of things in categories. I like using sites or apps that allow you to create your own lists, or which generate lists and statistics from the data you put in, like a data base, for example RYM or Last.fm.

Last edited:
Yes, I like lists.

Lists are useful.

I notice that when I am reading, I count
how many items are listed and if there are
as many as 5 or 7, I think....
"Maybe I could make something with this."

Something being, a random generator.

Also, naturally, I make a list of things I need
to get or do. But it's lists for combining ideas
that I really enjoy.

I like lists, they are necessary to me, but I am terrible at making them. My wife (kindly) lists things I need to do daily, and also keeps a detailed calendar for me to look at, so I don't have any unwelcomed surprises.

i'm the same for numbers 1 to 4 not number five I'm too stressed
Loved seeing Nigella Lawson tick off her Christmas to do list.
problem I have is I forget to look at it

I like to make lists for different reasons. Shopping lists so I don't forget, of course, but there's an even more powerful type of list for me: The Breakdown.

You can use a list to break down a really big, overwhelming, intimidating task into small, manageable chunks and knock it out bit-by-bit. I have to do this all the time at work.

I like to make lists for different reasons. Shopping lists so I don't forget, of course, but there's an even more powerful type of list for me: The Breakdown.

You can use a list to break down a really big, overwhelming, intimidating task into small, manageable chunks and knock it out bit-by-bit. I have to do this all the time at work.
Yes, I should add this to my list of why lists are useful, that's a very good coping strategy, I do this, too.

If I have a lot to do in a day, I make a text list in my memo and then, delete each one that I have completed and I can only do it running down, rather than across as that would confuse me.

If that list was not created, then I would not get all the work done, so it helps to motivate me, as I tend to get so overwhelmed that I end up doing nothing and that is just awful.

For a trip to the shop yes. I can get so wired and anxious my memory doesn’t work.
(And I’m not scurrying all the way to the shop to forget why I made the trip in the first place)

I did stop making lists quite a while ago.
Completing every single task was becoming an obsession/addiction?
Not healthy.

I try to jot down brief notes if I know I’m going into a stressy sort of situation.
Helpful prompts for when memory goes offline.

Yes. Because once a topic starts being expanded on, it seems like there could be no end when my brain runs wild. So I keep it quick and simple in the first place.

I like lists especially when they're sortable. But I can do that with an old school cut and paste too.

Thank you for your replies.

I think I like lists because they help me sort things out in my mind, and they make a task less daunting because I can take each thing one at a time.

Do you have a preference for how lists are organised, i.e. a list going from left to right:

Oranges, apples, pears, grapes.

Or going from top to bottom?

Oranges
apples
pears
grapes.

Top to bottom. Otherwise it just reads like a paragraph. Same problem when people write math problems left to right, that need to be stacked when doing it longhand.

Top to bottom. Otherwise it just reads like a paragraph. Same problem when people write math problems left to right, that need to be stacked when doing it longhand.
I'm the same. For some reason that I can't fathom, when I was at the school, I hated it when the student wrote along a line rather than down the page. I insisted that they wrote down the page, but they often didn't want to. I'm not sure why I feel this way. I coped with it by finding a justification for writing across the page that was acceptable to me; that they want to save space and paper. Then I coud accept it. Otherwise it would drive me crazy.

Another thing that drove me crazy was when they wrote in bright-coloured ink, but that's another story.

3. It helps me to organize my thoughts abd prioritise if I make a list.

4. It helps me to remember information if I make a list.

I use google inbox to make reminders.

So in a way that's a list scattered through time.

Reminders appear by location
Weekly, monthly,yearly
Or are reset to the next time things need to be done after completion.

I usually end up setting several reminders for the same thing and on the due day
I get to see how bad my memory is.

New Threads

Top Bottom