• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you let it go when you are being verbally attacked and n social media?

SimplyWandering

I have uploaded an event that occurred today between me and the administrator of the discord (who happens to be well liked) and it made me super upset. The chat is for Pokémon, but it is general discussion. I don’t understand why people can be so rude to others and yet have rules that they expect others to follow.

The rules specifically for this channel is Discussion, banter and fun.

I don’t know how to see this differently?

Attachments

• 8D4A2951-862A-401D-9C67-CD728459A088.png
    8D4A2951-862A-401D-9C67-CD728459A088.png
    765.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 057E108D-E44B-44AD-A19F-A9EAD70BC15F.png
    057E108D-E44B-44AD-A19F-A9EAD70BC15F.png
    751.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 57A0B0BF-ECB6-4C48-ADB5-6A58944A0DF4.png
    57A0B0BF-ECB6-4C48-ADB5-6A58944A0DF4.png
    696.6 KB · Views: 0
Do one of the three pictures show someone being rude? I'm not sure if I'm understanding everything correctly.

I am trying to figure this out.
Whatever you see, @SimplyWandering, it would help if you'd be specific in pointing it out.

The first file, the one on the top left, is the rules of the chat.

The second file is 3 people talking. Question about 'doxys'.
One person says no, not doxys, deoxys.
Person asks if anybody wants to talk about different topic.

The third file is same 3 people talking.

I am not familiar with the subjects being discussed.
Is the problem that one says it's time to switch networks?
Is it about 'earliness'?
Is it about 'doxys/deoxys'?
What is the problem?

Please clarify.

Yes. l always let it go because it's a social platform and we as mature adults can choose to disconnect and not be wrapped in doxys, and other things. It's a game, my daughter loved this, she had many discussions about the power levels of the different pokeman cards. People are passionate about this game. It's truly remarkable game.

not completely ,I am not from the social media generation ,I am also not American , I don’t worship everything about American culture ,a certain amount of social media comes from America and the way Americans from certain cultures try to control everything is pathetic .It doesn’t help that British people are often portrayed as being the villain !but strangely we are one of the nationalities that appear to have no rights regarding how we are portrayed.

I am trying to figure this out.
Whatever you see, @SimplyWandering, it would help if you'd be specific in pointing it out.

The first file, the one on the top left, is the rules of the chat.

The second file is 3 people talking. Question about 'doxys'.
One person says no, not doxys, deoxys.
Person asks if anybody wants to talk about different topic.

The third file is same 3 people talking.

I am not familiar with the subjects being discussed.
Is the problem that one says it's time to switch networks?
Is it about 'earliness'?
Is it about 'doxys/deoxys'?
What is the problem?

Please clarify.

Essentially I was responding to another player and someone not even involved in the conversation decided to call me out and make me feel like I was confused or wrong and after I corrected them they proceeded to tell me that it didn’t belong there, even though it is a general chat. It’s not necessary what was said but how it was said. It isn’t the first time either. I point out the forum rules to make people understand that people have different point of views and shouldn’t be judging based on disability, sexuality, gender or racism. There should be no difference here. The admin was specifically putting me down.

Does what you're describing happen in the screenshots? Or what are the screenshots for?

Generally, I don't do much on social media (From my business point of view, I should do more), but i'd think i'd be able to just let it go.

What I see is that people do tend to get a bit brave on social media - the phrase keyboard worriers comes to mind. I guess they just need to check themselves a little bit unfortunately.

It depends on the situation. In social media it is better not to react but in real life sometimes it is necessary. I can't refer to your screenshots because I am not familiar with subject.

I don’t see any name calling or rudeness in the screenshots you uploaded, to be honest.

I can't see anything from those screenshots either.

If something like that is happening on my Facebook account (for example...we're talking social media, right?), I simply tell them to knock it off or remove the posts. No point in trying to argue with anyone - my page, my rules, my decision. Unfortunately, in the case of that Discord server you're not the one maintaining control. If people are getting out of hand and the admins are looking the other way, it might be time to set foot out of that place.

I don’t see any name calling or rudeness in the screenshots you uploaded, to be honest.

I think a person has to be heavily invested in the subject matter
to react this negatively to the nuance of the dialogue.

It is a game that the OP cares about considerably, and it appears
that he feels the slights are personally damaging, as well as
against the site's policy.

Not immediately, but I do try to step away from a discussion when I feel myself getting too upset. It makes me feel a bit pathetic that I have to just cut and run the moment people aren't being perfectly polite, but I was in a lot of flame wars when I was younger and they never ever made me feel better about anything. And I need my energy for other things.

I would probably ignore it since it isn't worth paying attention to. That never really happens to me though since I avoid social media, I mostly just talk to a few friends online.

Often it makes me upset, but we need to remember that words in social media don't mean much, and the curse words of everyday-speech are used more freely and without the very same intention that make people use them in real life.

It depends of the context too. If you're on 4chan and a user calls you some vulgar name, it makes no sense to be upset when pretty much everyone is called that without deeper intentions.

Every place we're in has its own set of rules that precede us. This rules define the language-game of its population, this is, which rules determines the use of one or another word. It is said that some of us are not very talented in the use of our intuition, to grasp the implicit rules of the groups we're in unless they are stated explicitly. I think this may lead to misinterpretations of others and taking offense when there is none; on the other hand, we may behave inappropriately in a group without realizing it unless someone explicitly points it out.

Discord serves are rarely serious and devoted to formal or academic discussions, when netiquette is asked in order to keep the focus on the content of arguments. A pokemon discord, for "Discussion, banter, and fun" very unlikely will have a strict netiquette for the used to abide, and in all likeness, people cursing each other just for fun (on how this is fun I will not say anything) shouldn't be particularly shocking, thus, it shouldn't be taken very seriously.

New Threads

Top Bottom