• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have problems with chores too or is it just me?

agg1

I dunno I just mess up simplest thing like cleaning the dishes up and destroy things around me and it makes me go insane

I didn't like them when I was younger but got used to them as I aged

I can't stand them just because they keep happening again and again. :eek: When I live entirely on my own, I'll come here for prayers. ;)

I find them boring, but need to encorperate them into my daily routine, or they never get done.

I like doing household chores and use housework tasks to de-stress. I like to maintain order and I enjoy living in a clean, orderly environment with everything in its place.

I am clumsy, but I don't view being clumsy as having a direct connection to chores. I bump into things, drop stuff, walk into door frames etc whether I'm carrying out household chores or not.

am clumsy, but I don't view being clumsy as having a direct connection to chores. I bump into things, drop stuff, walk into door frames etc whether I'm carrying out household chores or not.

I view it as part of the fun.

Like ,after walking through the door, closing it by curling my foot round,so it closes.

Or pushing it closed like a ninja,foot at 90 degrees.
It can't slam, it has to close slowly.

Slamming is not a ninja move.

I seem to have trouble organizing in my brain which chore to do first, I get really overwhelmed by it. Sometimes I literally CANT organize a room because I can’t decide where to start

I dunno I just mess up simplest thing like cleaning the dishes up and destroy things around me and it makes me go insane
I may have mentioned this before, but things have an annoying tendency to leap out of my hands and throw themselves against the floor.

This isn't just autism, but it's actually more about aging: We replaced our stoneware dishes and drinking glasses with plastic ones because both my husband and I were dropping a lot of pieces and breaking them.

If you break a lot of things, it makes sense to mitigate the losses.

Once I mess up doing something, it seems to catch on and I do it for the rest of the day. So dropping the metal espresso maker involved the freshly ground coffee on the floor, which was doused by the cold water on top of it, and then the scatter rug became inundated. (I actually stood there for several minutes looking at it, trying to figure out a way to make coffee on the floor). So then the floor had to be cleaned, and the rug. Which delayed my coffee. Which upset me. And the rest of the morning was an apocalyptic breaking of cups, and dropping more things.

Last edited:
This isn't just autism, but it's actually more about aging: We replaced our stoneware dishes and drinking glasses with plastic ones because both my husband and I were dropping a lot of pieces and breaking them.

If you break a lot of things, it makes sense to mitigate the losses.

Lately I've come to the conclusion that I've been in a kind of state of denial about my own aging process. Reminiscent of my initial denial over my own autism as well.

Still, it's tough at times to conclude certain things happening primarily due to age. :oops:

Last edited:
If l could get the hypnosis tape that chores are self-medicating then my place would be uber clean. Sadly, somebody keeps renewing that CD at my library. I am moving in two more months, so l now can rely on that excuse, in regards to chores. I am moving, so my socks are on the floor because l am downsizing for the next two months.

I just tend to look at chores as just another form of slavery to my own OCD.

That whether I want to do something or not, I am compelled to on another level. :oops:

I’m still not clear on what the OP is actually saying/asking. He says he has problems and messes up and destroys things when he does chores. He hasn’t said anything about liking or disliking them. Maybe he will come back and clarify.

I’m still not clear on what the OP is actually saying/asking. He says he has problems and messes up and destroys things when he does chores. He hasn’t said anything about liking or disliking them. Maybe he will come back and clarify.

Good question. Is this about failure at the expectations of others or something else?

I'm apt to think that many people approach a task done for other people somewhat differently than a task that they choose to do for themselves. Could it have something to do with that consideration? I'm not sure either.

One thing for sure, I'm apt to stress much more about a task involving another's expectation than my own. Though agreed with other comments that I don't see this as a specific trait or autistic behavior.

Last edited:
Good question. Is this about failure at the expectations of others or something else?

I'm apt to think that many people approach a task done for other people somewhat differently than a task that they choose to do for themselves. Could it have something to do with that consideration? I'm not sure either.

One thing for sure, I'm apt to stress much more about a task involving another's expectation than my own. Though agreed with other comments that I don't see this as a specific trait or autistic behavior.

Or maybe executive dysfunction. Many autistic people struggle with initiative, breaking routine, and focusing. We’re well known for being unable to clean, cook, brush our teeth, etc. on our own. Perhaps this is the OP’s problem.

Or maybe executive dysfunction. Many autistic people struggle with initiative, breaking routine, and focusing. We’re well known for being unable to clean, cook, brush our teeth, etc. on our own. Perhaps this is the OP’s problem.

Good point. I just hope the OP comes back so we can find out their actual reasoning.

New Threads

Top Bottom