• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have a partner?

Do you have a partner?

• Currently have a partner

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Previously had a partner

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Never had a partner

Votes: 16 34.0%

• Total voters

Droopy

Founder & Former Admin
V.I.P Member
A simple poll to see how many of us have got (or have had) a partner.

No.

Despite having the odd sexual/romantic encounter, I've never really had an "official" girlfriend. I, however, had multiple "girlfriends" in my early teens, but they don't really count IMO. There were three blonde girls and a brunette who liked me a lot when I was young, but all we ever did was kiss. I think they liked me because I was "bad": At age twelve, I was already smoking cigarettes and hanging out with teenagers who were years older than me. :lol:

If my life circumstances were slightly different, I'd love to have a partner. Every now and then, I come across people online who I feel would make ideal partners. It sucks because I know that, for romance to blossom between us, would be quite infeasible - at least at the present.

If I improve my life a bit, I won't hesitate to find someone. When I do look for someone, I'll try to find someone who's aspie and/or introverted to a degree. I can't cope well with being around extroverted people for too long. After a while, I feel burnt out and want to get away from them.

I have a partner, he has social phobias, so we get on well, mostly. We have been together 12 years.

If I improve my life a bit, I won't hesitate to find someone. When I do look for someone, I'll try to find someone who's aspie and/or introverted to a degree.

Good luck with that. I think keeping friends is hard enough without me taking on a girlfriend on top of that. I'm just too shy when it comes to finding a partner. To be honest though, I've never tried - maybe I'm afraid of rejection or something. Even around my friends who are female I'm very quiet - but then they're more associates than close friends.

The way I see it I need to master having friends, then master having female friends before I start looking for a girlfriend. Does that make any sense?

I previously did have a parnter, everything was going so great and the relationship was so strong but I didn't come to think that it wouldn't last and rather recently broke up and I remembered how much that hurt.

However me and her still remain as good friends.

I'm just going to wait until the time has come and I toughen up a little more because LOVE happens to be my weak spot (unfortunately). :lol2:

I do not have a partner i haven't had one for about 2 years now. Id rather be friends with someone for a while before i make my choice... of course i get asked out all the time but i turn it down ...

Even around my friends who are female I'm very quiet - but then they're more associates than close friends.

I love the term "associates" to describe relationships with people that aren't really friendships. I hadn't thought of that term before, and how to categorize people I know or spend time with who aren't really strictly friends has confused me for a while.

To be honest though, I've never tried - maybe I'm afraid of rejection or something. Even around my friends who are female I'm very quiet - but then they're more associates than close friends.

The way I see it I need to master having friends, then master having female friends before I start looking for a girlfriend. Does that make any sense?

That reminds me of one of the things that lead me to think I had AS...I recall in my late teens early twenties, that many of my friends would constantly ask me if I saw those girls checking me out...or why did I not ask someone out because my friends said the person was interested in me...I never noticed or agreed with them about someone being interested...at first I thought it was because I was gay, but thinking back on it, I think it was more that I did not understand the social situations and clues. So you may have people wanting to date you and just not know it.

That said, relationships are great at first...but VERY difficult to maintain...so your point about mastering friendships is VERY valid.

I am unhappily single, I've never had a proper boyfriend. I've had sort boyfriends when I was 13 and younger that lasted a short time, like a week or 2 weeks. But that doesn't really count.

Having a partner who you haven't seen IRL would be most difficult than the ones you know and you know you can see IRL.
I have a mate who had so many girlfriends who he has dated through the world of the interwebz, but it would never last as long as 2 or 3 months.

So there are disadvantages there.

No partner here. I've kind of given up on finding someone. I think I may be too socially awkward and eccentric for most people.

Thanks Jaws, I think you just made some sense for me. I am totally clueless about all the social cues and flirting and whatnot. When we are out in public, I miss 90% of all the non-verbal communication my partner picks up. The looks, the smiles, etc.. I also rarely notice "hot guys" but i do sometimes notice people of both sexes who are beautiful, but I don't see that in a sexual way, just aesthetic.
Years ago when I began actively seeking out potential mates, I did it my own direct, blunt, tactless way. Not having very good social skills, or finesse, I adopted an approach that was more natural for me. This was a big change for me from never asking anyone out. I would do my best chat for just a few minutes, manage to ask a few qualifying questions to figure out if this attractive guy was a person I could even get along with, then hand over my name and phone number say call me, and leave before I said anything too stupid. I dated three guys like this in two years, the last being my current partner. He says I came across very intense, which was a little intimidating, but at the same time attractive, since I seemed to know what I wanted. I moved in with him two weeks later. Yes relationships are not easy, but they can be worth it.

I have had one true partner, my first and last. He is aspie as well. We are both introvert so that worked out, plus he had some of the same interests; but he eventually just stopped doing anything, period. I don't regret my decision on choosing to be a single parent, it was probably the best thing. I think my son will appreciate my reasons someday. Anyway, I do want a happy family and stuff but I can hardly communicate with people at work, no less someone I find attractive. I find people confusing as hell as it is.

We're both in Canada and live in provinces that are connected to each other. We could make it happen... if we weren't straight. :lol:

Calvert and PanPaniscus sitting in a tree K.I.S.S.I.N.G. First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes a baby in a baby carriage!

New Threads

Top Bottom