• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have a Paracosm?If so describe some of its main details.

megacomic

Just that awkward guy.
A paracosm is a highly detailed imaginary world often only experienced through the eyes of it's creators. I've been building my world since the 8th grade. I call it Abre, a mystical land with no explanation.

The technology and timeline is anachronistic. The story is based in fantasy and comedy so there is a king and queen, magic, castles ,and knights but there are also more modern things like zipcodes, nursing homes, jetpacks, aliens, and corporations.

I could go into greater detail if asked some questions but because it is an entire world I won't clutter the prompt with a bunch of lore.

I do, in fact I did for the most of my life, adding more and more details to my world as the years passed by. As of now, I'm starting a book to give it life also in the eyes of the other. Somehow my world has become too big for me alone.

It's a world with different species, fantastic as well as scientific elements, as well as wars, always raging through the lands. All in all, it's a rather depressing view on differences, hatred born from these differences and misunderstandings. There are emperors, lords, queens and kings, there are captains and generals, different languages both verbal and nonverbal with one species communicating in a completely different way than others. All imperias and kingdoms have their own customs and traits and it's literally too much to describe in one thread. Just like you said - it's a whole world and in fact bigger and older than the Earth itself.

In retrospection, I think that my world started its creation due to a life-long feeling of rejection and wrongness that came at me from all directions in the Real world. It doesn't have a name, it's just mine and often I have to remind myself that it's not the Real world and it's people are not mine people.

It makes me bittersweet, in a way. It's the world I feel I belong but it's not a good world in any way. I think it's in a way easier to live on the Earth in the end.

I'm interested in hearing more about your world. Let's start with technology and timeline. What's the exact 'time period' and technology used by Abre's people? How are your people divided? Or are they? Do you have different sentient and not only races?

It has the same name when it is all in dreams? I mean...recurrent dreams... there are about 3 different worlds to where i often keep coming back in my dreams, one of them is my favorite, so colorful and bright, i don't even know how to explain nor how my brain created it, where did it come from...
But they all always start either at somewhere real generally near my neighborhood than it becomes something totally different or at some magical gateway near the neighborhood, which is often through water, i always think that i am going to drown when i enter the water but then i arrive in some kind of another dimension kind of cliche haha but it's all so real

There is some kind of ancient creatures in one of them o.o

Last edited:
Abre technically doesn't really have a time period. But it does have a deep Middle Eastern and African fantasy appeal and aesthetic. Not in the sense that can be measured by Earth. There is electricity but no tv or guns. Most electricity is magic in nature but magic is only available to those in the higher caste. Everyone is born with magic potential but few are allowed to practice. Names are also an important factor in Abrian culture. The more important the person or family the longer the name so peasants typically have simple names like Bo or Ky. Elves and fairies are given long extravagant names. Humans are more genetically diverse here than in the real world gaining animal like features such as claws or fangs, wings, or even gills depending on their environment.

Abre has the higher races and the lower races. Magic is the lifeblood of Abre. So the more magically inclined races elves and fairies like serve as the high caste. While mundane races humans, beasts, and goblins serve as a lower caste. Goblins are a special case because they are just now starting earn basic rights. And due to their advancements in science may even become a dominant race. There are other inexplicable races (Saphirians, Tygarii,Dragmer) so I'm just going over ones people are familiar with.

Because goblins were banished underground and cut off from Abre’s vast magical resources they became an industrious people and the pioneers of science. Their secretive underground dwellings house the most technologically advanced cities on the planet being a good 700 years ahead of the surface world. Ironically many people think goblins are barbaric due their strange hygiene, lack of personal manners and social norms, and broken speech not knowing about their numerous scientific accomplishments. They are considered one step above enchanted creatures. Goblins are the race I relate to the most with one of my favorite characters being a young goblin girl named Pi.

Enchanted Creature is a being that has been altered by magic and given human sentience and features. It is a highly controversial procedure and enchanted creatures often find themselves at the mercy of prejudice and discrimination from humans and other less evolved members of their species.

Most enchanted creatures are either executed or enslaved. And if they do escape it’s not like can go back to their families. They walk on two legs and speak like a human. The family wouldn’t recognize them and wouldn’t be able to communicate.

This only a small synopsis of Abre's largest city.

Last edited:
It has the same name when it is all in dreams? I mean...recurrent dreams... there are about 3 different worlds to where i often keep coming back in my dreams, one of them is my favorite, so colorful and bright, i don't even know how to explain nor how my brain created it, where did it come from...
Paracosm is just a fancy word for an imaginary world so if it's from your mind it's your world.

But they all always start either at somewhere real generally near my neighborhood than it becomes something totally different or at some magical gateway near the neighborhood, which is often through water, i always think that i am going to drown when i enter the water but then i arrive in some kind of another dimension kind of cliche haha but it's all so real

There is some kind of ancient creatures in one of them o.o
I know most don't have metaphysical beliefs, but, there is a proven type of dream called astral travel.
The soul or mind travels at free will of it's own to other places even if just on this planet or the room next door. But, the point is that the experience is real and can be proven many times by researching what you saw and names from where you were at. You may be seeing a different dimension, time or place than Earth.

As far as creating a fantasy world on my own... NO.
Just as I never had imaginary friends growing up.
It just seemed too non reality based or illogical for my mind to be able to accept. Probably missed out on a lot being that way but couldn't help it.

Abre technically doesn't really have a time period. But it does have a deep Middle Eastern and African fantasy appeal and aesthetic. Not in the sense that can be measured by Earth. There is electricity but no tv or guns. Most electricity is magic in nature but magic is only available to those in the higher caste. Everyone is born with magic potential but few are allowed to practice. Names are also an important factor in Abrian culture. The more important the person or family the longer the name so peasants typically have simple names like Bo or Ky. Elves and fairies are given long extravagant names. Humans are more genetically diverse here than in the real world gaining animal like features such as claws or fangs, wings, or even gills depending on their environment.

Abre has the higher races and the lower races. Magic is the lifeblood of Abre. So the more magically inclined races elves and fairies like serve as the high caste. While mundane races humans, beasts, and goblins serve as a lower caste. Goblins are a special case because they are just now starting earn basic rights. And due to their advancements in science may even become a dominant race. There are other inexplicable races (Saphirians, Tygarii,Dragmer) so I'm just going over ones people are familiar with.

Because goblins were banished underground and cut off from Abre’s vast magical resources they became an industrious people and the pioneers of science. Their secretive underground dwellings house the most technologically advanced cities on the planet being a good 700 years ahead of the surface world. Ironically many people think goblins are barbaric due their strange hygiene, lack of personal manners and social norms, and broken speech not knowing about their numerous scientific accomplishments. They are considered one step above enchanted creatures. Goblins are the race I relate to the most with one of my favorite characters being a young goblin girl named Pi.

Enchanted Creature is a being that has been altered by magic and given human sentience and features. It is a highly controversial procedure and enchanted creatures often find themselves at the mercy of prejudice and discrimination from humans and other less evolved members of their species.

Most enchanted creatures are either executed or enslaved. And if they do escape it’s not like can go back to their families. They walk on two legs and speak like a human. The family wouldn’t recognize them and wouldn’t be able to communicate.

I'm impressed... You have a really cool place going : )
I like fiction, but I usually stay grounded in trying to function in this time space continuum we call reality.
My only off based place is where I go in a shutdown mostly. Its just a better version of what we have here... A repaired version of earth where people aren't monsters... : )

Good job, maybe you should make Abre a book. It sure didn't hurt J K Rollings...

This sounds like a very interesting world. If you ever write a book about Pi's life I will gladly read it. What kind of technological advancements do the Goblin race have? Could you give some examples?

Just like Goblins are the closest to you, there is a species that is closest to me in all of the world. They call themselves Ashuka, read with a growl-like intonation and almost unheard for human-type ears(seeing as they language has a large base in reading air vibrations and sub-sounds) with the meaning of 'Those who Adapt', its origins being their history.

Paracosm is just a fancy word for an imaginary world so if it's from your mind it's your world.

Well, I can't really think about it in this way. I first saw it in a dream when I was a kid, then it evolved and broadened until it's something even I can't fully understand - and wasn't it my mind that created this? It may sounds awkward but it's like this unnamed and untamed world has become my children, with millions of people belonging to different species and hundreds of characters I've come to feel connected to. Their tragedies in a way became my tragedies - maybe they even 'came from' my traumas from early childhood, who knows.

I know most don't have metaphysical beliefs, but, there is a proven type of dream called astral travel.
The soul or mind travels at free will of it's own to other places even if just on this planet or the room next door. But, the point is that the experience is real and can be proven many times by researching what you saw and names from where you were at. You may be seeing a different dimension, time or place than Earth.

As far as creating a fantasy world on my own... NO.
Just as I never had imaginary friends growing up.
It just seemed too non reality based or illogical for my mind to be able to accept. Probably missed out on a lot being that way but couldn't help it.

Sounds interesting, though I was always rather sceptical about these things. Astral travel? Doesn't seem very logical to me, though it's one of those things to which there are no answers - we can believe it or not. Paranormal stuff were and always will be mysteries.

I never created imaginative friends myself. There were people and creatures I 'met' but they either never knew about me or they just were. Sometimes, as a child, when I was 'watching' in dreams, I felt like in turn I was 'watched' in reality. It's hard to describe and definitely fantastic.

Oh well, all artists are either quirky or simply mad.

I have one that I've been working on for a while, its quite expansive and I've attempted writing it into 'books' of some sort, particularly during Nano, but I get too mixed up because there are so many overlapping and ongoing stories in various parts of the world that it is hard to stick straight on one sometimes.

It is fantasy based in a medieval setting. No electricity and minimal magic. However there are various races, Human, Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, and some of my own creation. There is a main continent that is split into three sections, a lot of islands that has a bit of a dystopian system going on there, a hidden island to the east with more tangible magic and the forbidden lands to the west.

I don't have as much named though. Many individuals and storylines if you will, I know their personalities and such but don't have names for many people/cities/etc.

I can't imagine not having some sort of world in my head though. This one is the biggest and most constant but I have always created various worlds in my head growing up. Good way to escape from the bullying when I was little and stretch the imagination I suppose.

This sounds like a very interesting world. If you ever write a book about Pi's life I will gladly read it. What kind of technological advancements do the Goblin race have? Could you give some examples?

Just like Goblins are the closest to you, there is a species that is closest to me in all of the world. They call themselves Ashuka, read with a growl-like intonation and almost unheard for human-type ears(seeing as they language has a large base in reading air vibrations and sub-sounds) with the meaning of 'Those who Adapt', its origins being their history.

Well, I can't really think about it in this way. I first saw it in a dream when I was a kid, then it evolved and broadened until it's something even I can't fully understand - and wasn't it my mind that created this? It may sounds awkward but it's like this unnamed and untamed world has become my children, with millions of people belonging to different species and hundreds of characters I've come to feel connected to. Their tragedies in a way became my tragedies - maybe they even 'came from' my traumas from early childhood, who knows.

Sounds interesting, though I was always rather sceptical about these things. Astral travel? Doesn't seem very logical to me, though it's one of those things to which there are no answers - we can believe it or not. Paranormal stuff were and always will be mysteries.

I never created imaginative friends myself. There were people and creatures I 'met' but they either never knew about me or they just were. Sometimes, as a child, when I was 'watching' in dreams, I felt like in turn I was 'watched' in reality. It's hard to describe and definitely fantastic.

Oh well, all artists are either quirky or simply mad.
Goblins have created Worm trains. Worm trains are large magnetic trains that move through tunnels and dirt at hundreds of mph creating exploration paths and locomotion from city to city. Their cities are fairly advanced but look like electronic European castles than a modern metropolis. They are all connected by a central hub network tower. They also created and live off of renewable energy sources creating beacons above ground that harness sunlight.
They are a people who value maximum efficiency above all else and speak in as few words as they possibly can while getting their point across which makes them appear inarticulate to other races. They believe discovery comes before ethics making them appear like morally dubious mad scientists. As they would say "Morals inefficient. Hinders progress." But they are also the first race to practice medicine as they are not fettered by the stigma of defiling a corpse to see what's inside. Some of their technology like anti gravity boots and laserblades are sold on the black market on the surface but because many practitioners of magic fear science(as unlike magic, even poor people can learn and have access to science) Goblin tech is highly illegal. Also if you're not brutally honest with goblins they won't respect you. They find politeness inefficient. Wasting time is the rudest offense in Goblin culture. They technically don't waste anything.(Corpses are used to harvest organs for the living who might need transplants, feces are used a fuel and for agriculture). Everything has a use and is often traded with someone else for something that no longer has use to them.That's just a little tidbit on Goblins. I hope that answers some of your questions.

Last edited:
I had an active paracosm for about 4 years. It was heavily inspired by a manga called "Love Pistols" except all the characters were from video games, mainly Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Don't Starve.

These days I don't so much imagine other worlds so much as imagine my favorite characters being a part of my regular life (like visualizing them hanging out with me while I go grocery shopping, for instance). In particular there are two of them who are basically like the older brothers I never had. Their presence in my life is very welcome as they are a continuing source of comfort and encouragement to me, unlike my main paracosm character, whose presence in my life could best be described as a love-hate relationship.

Goblins have created Worm trains. Worm trains are large magnetic trains that move through tunnels and dirt at hundreds of mph creating exploration paths and locomotion from city to city. Their cities are fairly advanced but look like electronic European castles than a modern metropolis. They are all connected by a central hub network tower. They also created and live off of renewable energy sources creating beacons above ground that harness sunlight.
They are a people who value maximum efficiency above all else and speak in as few words as they possibly can while getting their point across which makes them appear inarticulate to other races. They believe discovery comes before ethics making them appear like morally dubious mad scientists. As they would say "Morals inefficient. Hinders progress." But they are also the first race to practice medicine as they are not fettered by the stigma of defiling a corpse to see what's inside. Some of their technology like anti gravity boots and laserblades are sold on the black market on the surface but because many practitioners of magic fear science(as unlike magic, even poor people can learn and have access to science) Goblin tech is highly illegal. Also if you're not brutally honest with goblins they won't respect you. They find politeness inefficient. Wasting time is the rudest offense in Goblin culture. They technically don't waste anything.(Corpses are used to harvest organs for the living who might need transplants, feces are used a fuel and for agriculture). Everything has a use and is often traded with someone else for something that no longer has use to them.That's just a little tidbit on Goblins. I hope that answers some of your questions.

Looks like Goblins have your own views on the world or do you have the same view as the Goblins? Their culture is rather interesting and morality, well, it was always rather subjective for all of the cultures. They seem like the other side's extreme though. I understand that there aren't any laws regulating the evolution of sciences?

Do you have some 'original' species? That's rather interesting but in my world there are literally no species known to faantasy world like elves, goblins etc. There are humans, yes, but nothing else similar. I just realised it. The most similar from the books to one species would probably be reptile people from Overlord, though I've read about them long after the 'creation'.

I had an active paracosm for about 4 years. It was heavily inspired by a manga called "Love Pistols" except all the characters were from video games, mainly Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Don't Starve.

These days I don't so much imagine other worlds so much as imagine my favorite characters being a part of my regular life (like visualizing them hanging out with me while I go grocery shopping, for instance). In particular there are two of them who are basically like the older brothers I never had. Their presence in my life is very welcome as they are a continuing source of comfort and encouragement to me, unlike my main paracosm character, whose presence in my life could best be described as a love-hate relationship.

I do similar to this also. It kinda seemed as if most just had one paracosm so I thought I was weird for having lots of them, hence not mentioning it. But whatever, I'm weird and it's all cool lol. Anyhow I have several completely original and created by myself and then I have a multitude of ones like you describe with various fandoms in life or me in various fandoms. Sometimes includes people I know in them also. I definitely understand the older sibling thing too. I never really had anyone older I could look up to, trust or that truly cared and understood me so sometimes when I find a fandom I really like I find myself slipping into that universe in my head.

Oddly enough I have never put myself into my original stories but I think part of that is a lot of myself is already there. The negative feelings I grew up with reflect in some of the characters so it is a bit therapeutic whenever I get around to actually writing it down.

My imagination functions more like Star Trek's holodeck. I don't maintain a fixed, alternate universe.

I did that kind of thing when I used to create my own comic book characters. I didn't like how my perceptions began to blur between it and reality.

I like your use of the word, paracosm. Did you coin that, or is it already established somewhere? My word "paranautics" is derived from parakosmos.

I do similar to this also. It kinda seemed as if most just had one paracosm so I thought I was weird for having lots of them, hence not mentioning it. But whatever, I'm weird and it's all cool lol. Anyhow I have several completely original and created by myself and then I have a multitude of ones like you describe with various fandoms in life or me in various fandoms. Sometimes includes people I know in them also. I definitely understand the older sibling thing too. I never really had anyone older I could look up to, trust or that truly cared and understood me so sometimes when I find a fandom I really like I find myself slipping into that universe in my head.

Oddly enough I have never put myself into my original stories but I think part of that is a lot of myself is already there. The negative feelings I grew up with reflect in some of the characters so it is a bit therapeutic whenever I get around to actually writing it down.

It's normal to have multiple paracosms. My own would often be based on books or anime, or manga. It's completely typical for people with vivid imagination. Still, they would fade and die off with time and only this one, the first one in fact, survived. As a child I would 'breathe' in that 'world' as if it was my second life with only one purpose: observation leading to change.

Looks like Goblins have your own views on the world or do you have the same view as the Goblins? Their culture is rather interesting and morality, well, it was always rather subjective for all of the cultures. They seem like the other side's extreme though. I understand that there aren't any laws regulating the evolution of sciences?

Do you have some 'original' species? That's rather interesting but in my world there are literally no species known to faantasy world like elves, goblins etc. There are humans, yes, but nothing else similar. I just realised it. The most similar from the books to one species would probably be reptile people from Overlord, though I've read about them long after the 'creation'.
Almost ever race shares some of my traits but not all. There really aren't goblins and elves but that's what I call them so that other people don't get confused. The humans are barely even human but it's easier for other people to use names they know. The main character is a small shadow man in a tuxedo and his twin brother is a radioactive light being but call them fairies to other people even though in my head thier species doesn't truly have a name yet. Fairy is sort of an umbrella term for an unknown magical species that I use to make explaining my world easier.

But their race is another I find fascinating. They have an unstable genetic code and will adapt features throughout childhood that depends on their personalities and environment. So a family of them could have the same base features but have completely different powers hair, eye colors. One brother has fangs the other doesn't and while they both have three fingers only one has claws.

Last edited:

I've had multiple paracosms but some just kind of faded to memory though sometimes I would self insert myself into paracosms that featured my favorite fictional characters. I draw comic books for fun since I was 5. My main paracosm that isn't Abre is an extended universe of every character I've ever drawn or made up. From a goofy super hero Donut Lad to a powerful demonic world builder named Nexus.

My imagination functions more like Star Trek's holodeck. I don't maintain a fixed, alternate universe.

I did that kind of thing when I used to create my own comic book characters. I didn't like how my perceptions began to blur between it and reality.

I like your use of the word, paracosm. Did you coin that, or is it already established somewhere? My word "paranautics" is derived from parakosmos.
It's an already established term. I like the holodeck analogy.

I'm impressed... You have a really cool place going : )
I like fiction, but I usually stay grounded in trying to function in this time space continuum we call reality.
My only off based place is where I go in a shutdown mostly. Its just a better version of what we have here... A repaired version of earth where people aren't monsters... : )

Good job, maybe you should make Abre a book. It sure didn't hurt J K Rollings...
I would love to write a book but my mind works so quickly and intensely that it's hard to sit and write things down due to an overload of ideas. I always get about two chapters in before I get ideas for a new book in a totally different genre and it leads to me writing 10 different stories at once.

I would love to write a book but my mind works so quickly and intensely that it's hard to sit and write things down due to an overload of ideas. I always get about two chapters in before I get ideas for a new book in a totally different genre and it leads to me writing 10 different stories at once.

It is similar for me, in particular with my original world which I don't have a name for. It is an expansive world with various races in such in different parts of the world. If I sit down to write for one part or character I find myself slipping into the stories happening simultaneously elsewhere in the world but that may not have any bearing on the characters in the current area. Kind of like spin off stories that are in the same world but unconnected for their stories/life. Then it gets a bit overwhelming to try writing it down so I go back to just keeping in my head lol.

New Threads

Top Bottom