• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have a mental "filing cabinet"?

Madame Catfish

...Fascinating...
If so, do you consider this related to and/or a result of your autism?

Do you find that it helps or hurts you?

Does it ever give you trouble (ie. opening up on files on your special interests when you are supposed to be focusing on other things)?

What does it look like?

At what age did you realise it was developing?

Maybe six? Except it was less of a realisation, and more just noticing that my thought processes resembled stuff my dad's computer did. I even had a "save" button.

It is not so overt nowadays. I do see text, but not functions.

My mind normally obeys me. If it doesn't I should look for mini-trauma instead of trying to force it.

Works for me.

Maybe six? Except it was less of a realisation, and more just noticing that my thought processes resembled stuff my dad's computer did. I even had a "save" button.

It is not so overt nowadays. I do see text, but not functions.

My mind normally obeys me. If it doesn't I should look for mini-trauma instead of trying to force it.

Works for me.

By "seeing text" do you mean physically seeing certain words that people say and/or the lyrics of a song? Do you find it frustrating? It is very annoying to have multiple songs stuck in my head because I see the words sometimes. Are you the same way? I'm so inept at verbal memory that I find the only way I can remember anything someone said is by visualising the words spelled out, but that usually fails too. Are you more verbally or visually based? I'm wondering if this method of processing and storing information has anything to do with autism or overtly-visual thinkers.

By "seeing text" do you mean physically seeing certain words that people say and/or the lyrics of a song? Do you find it frustrating? It is very annoying to have multiple songs stuck in my head because I see the words sometimes. Are you the same way? I'm so inept at verbal memory that I find the only way I can remember anything someone said is by visualising the words spelled out, but that usually fails too. Are you more verbally or visually based? I'm wondering if this method of processing and storing information has anything to do with autism or overtly-visual thinkers.

Mostly the sound and the sight of the words come to mind simultaneously, unless I am visually distracted such as by playing my thoughts like a film. If I am watching a thought-film the words are only heard. (Somewhat surprisingly, no subtitle function.)

When I "talk" to my "inner personalities", if they are models of real people, I will hear their part of the dialogue in their voice. There is a man whose voice I know, but since we mostly chat I see "his" part of my internal dialogues in text in the same font and size as in the chat window, albeit without the chat window. (I guess my internal council ruled it redundant…)

The only way I can have multiple songs in my head at once is if one of them has a verse that ends on a couple of notes that is identical to that in another song, making me expect a different following verse. I often see them in print, but hear the sound too.

My sound-memory is actually quite good at reproducing things people said aurally. I did practice that, though.

I am a mental filing cabinet, but only for some things, if I go by my history of nicknames early in life. Things changed later as I learned how to manage it better. And my File On Absolutely Useless Information continues to grow: a filly named Regret won the Triple Crown in 1915, but I can't find my hairbrush.

I'm not sure what is meant by a mental filing cabinet, but I can store a lot of information such as the languages I learn, or information about prog rock bands, and various other stuff.

I can store huge amounts of random information like birth and death dates, marriage dates, growing up I was into the british royal family and also I studied russian/soviet history I memorized tons of important historical and military dates and also events in earth history like volcanic eruptions, and stuff like that. Also pop culture, tv shows, movie trivia and info, just tons of random stuff and dates I am still so obsessed with.

Mind theater is more like it for me. I struggle to stay aware, because my inner world is so compelling, and draws me in often unawares. When I am doing well, I can focus on what others say in conversation, can follow along in a book, can pay attention to a nature documentary on Youtube. When I am not doing well (overwhelmed by sensory stuff, powerful emotions, and by life), I seem to be sucked into the vortex of mind theater, and I'm gone again. I can control it to the best of my ability, but I do struggle, and am often unaware of being pulled in yet again.

I'm not sure what is meant by a mental filing cabinet, but I can store a lot of information such as the languages I learn, or information about prog rock bands, and various other stuff.

I meant "filing cabinet" as in being able to actually "see" information that you've kept arranged in folders and such. Like with me, I have a science filing cabinet with folders inside folders and each of the folders has a name as well as the individual "documents". But each of these documents holds very specific information as compared to the "normal" way people remember information flying around. I was wondering if anyone kept their learned information in order, like in a filing cabinet, with folders and subfolders by subject.

I meant "filing cabinet" as in being able to actually "see" information that you've kept arranged in folders and such. Like with me, I have a science filing cabinet with folders inside folders and each of the folders has a name as well as the individual "documents". But each of these documents holds very specific information as compared to the "normal" way people remember information flying around. I was wondering if anyone kept their learned information in order, like in a filing cabinet, with folders and subfolders by subject.
No, I can't literally see files in my head, but when I recall information about, for example, Pink Floyd, then the band name pops up with various other associated information such as albums, their covers, the year they were released, names of musicians, etc. in a sort of cloud around the band name and I go from one to the other, it's more a linear association. When I hear the word "dog", a picture of a dog pops up in my head, and I can see the object, the word written, and the word "dog" in several different languages. The interesting thing is that the image of the object is more strongly associated with the word in my mother tongue, English, and the image will appear before the word. When I recall the same word in another language, an image of the written word appears before the object it represents does.

No, I can't literally see files in my head, but when I recall information about, for example, Pink Floyd, then the band name pops up with various other associated information such as albums, their covers, the year they were released, names of musicians, etc. in a sort of cloud around the band name and I go from one to the other, it's more a linear association. When I hear the word "dog", a picture of a dog pops up in my head, and I can see the object, the word written, and the word "dog" in several different languages. The interesting thing is that the image of the object is more strongly associated with the word in my mother tongue, English, and the image will appear before the word. When I recall the same word in another language, an image of the written word appears before the object it represents does.

Huh. Whenever I hear "dog" I see a few "snapshots" associated with them, but no information other than what I can see without having to look for a file. I know a few languages, but the actual word or sound of the word in any language doesn't pop up along with it, unless if I open up the DOG file, where I have

"E. Canine, Dog, Hound, Mutt, Pooch, Puppy ---- Sp. Chachorro, Perro, ???, Sabueso?--- YM. Pec',--Fr. Chien?---"

down at the very bottom, but I have to look for it instead of have it pop up like that.
Do the words popping up ever stress you? Sometimes some weird connection will become triggered in my mind and I'll accidental open a file, but the information still presents itself pretty neatly. It sounds nice to have a linear mind like that- mine is more like nesting dolls, sorting through categories. Other people say my answers tend to be pretty quick, but in my mind I have to open each folder and sub folder to get to the one I want. Having a linear mind sounds much more efficient: maybe you could lend me yours :p ?

Like that guy on Sherlock? I envy you that you can do that.
I love those scenes, because it is exactly how I think! People are often stunned and a bit confused by the trail of associations I make, and it is all quite visual. But it isn't as organized as a filing cabinet. I can, however, work through it very deliberately, if I am focused and choose to do so. I often use my mental connections to arrive at conclusions that are totally unexpected, but frequently quite useful or accurate.

Does it ever give you trouble (ie. opening up on files on your special interests when you are supposed to be focusing on other things)?

What does it look like?

At what age did you realise it was developing?

Yes.
I'm not sure if it's related to Autism or not.
It has always been helpful. This is the only way I can think.

I can get distracted. But in most cases it's not because of special interests but because I have difficulties with identifying the next step.

I picture it as bubbles floating in space. They represent categories. Ideas, feelings, thoughts just get absorbed by an appropriate bubble when applicable.

It was a natural way for me to process information.

Huh. Whenever I hear "dog" I see a few "snapshots" associated with them, but no information other than what I can see without having to look for a file. I know a few languages, but the actual word or sound of the word in any language doesn't pop up along with it, unless if I open up the DOG file, where I have

"E. Canine, Dog, Hound, Mutt, Pooch, Puppy ---- Sp. Chachorro, Perro, ???, Sabueso?--- YM. Pec',--Fr. Chien?---"

down at the very bottom, but I have to look for it instead of have it pop up like that.
Do the words popping up ever stress you? Sometimes some weird connection will become triggered in my mind and I'll accidental open a file, but the information still presents itself pretty neatly. It sounds nice to have a linear mind like that- mine is more like nesting dolls, sorting through categories. Other people say my answers tend to be pretty quick, but in my mind I have to open each folder and sub folder to get to the one I want. Having a linear mind sounds much more efficient: maybe you could lend me yours :p ?

Hi Madame Catfish, Hmm...perhaps we are a little different on our visual thing. You sound a little more like a photograffic memory, mine is more a empathic swirling movies sort of. For instance in school I would just sit down and read my whole history book as a novel and I can remember the story fairly well for years but not precise stuff like dates. I seem to convert the text into movies. My associative powers are strong I can match seemingly unrelated stuff with ease. But my audio and short term memory are garbage.:(

I love those scenes, because it is exactly how I think! People are often stunned and a bit confused by the trail of associations I make, and it is all quite visual. But it isn't as organized as a filing cabinet. I can, however, work through it very deliberately, if I am focused and choose to do so. I often use my mental connections to arrive at conclusions that are totally unexpected, but frequently quite useful or accurate.

When reading the books as a kid, I always liked the times Holmes talked about his "brain attic". That was before I was diagnosed and I felt as though that character, though fictional, was one of the only people with which I had in common. As a kid without a diagnosis or any awareness that there were any other people like me out there, reading about a character who had a similar brain was very comforting. I haven't had a chance to see much of BBC Sherlock, but I guess I'll have to give it's "brain attic" interpretation a quick look lookup on youtube.

I think it happens because I work with languages, and often three or four in one day. I need to keep switching between them to translate, so my only guess is then my brain has adjusted to having to used them and forged the necessary neural pathways to allow me to switch easily. I think I tend to see the words because that's how I learnt the word in the first place, that's how my brain stores the information and that's how I recall it - though as I said, my mother tongue is more associated with pictures for the the sound rather than words, because that's how I learnt those words. I can't say it annoys, me, it's useful - though sometimes the word in the wrong language pops up first and I have to look for it in the language I want and it slows me down. Anyway, the subject is fascinating :)

I tried to describe how I remember to a friend once (I was comparing with her method): "Mine are like, color and image coded. So days and months would be color coded, but years of my life would have a specific image associated with them (a setting), so if I think of 3rd grade, I sort of scroll to that and see the setting and work from that association. More recent time is in a sort of spiral/zig-zag, through time. So Mondays would always be at the top and Fridays at the bottom, and weekends are a steep incline, more or less. And if you need to make plans or remember things, you just zoom in on that day and get a picture and play the movie...I'm less good with outlines/plans. Have to rehearse them."

Her (NT) method was "like i imagine something that i'm trying to remember and then mold it into the form of the memory." Crazy.

Not a filing cabinet.
Sinse every bit of information is linked to countless other bits of information its more of an ever growing connect the dots matrix, with me in the middle.
I visualise information in multiple layers.

In response to the OP:

No single mental filing cabinet as such, no. But I do have a comparatively good memory, I think, because I remember facts fairly easily compared to many other people I know. The exception is if those facts bore me to death, but even then sometimes... I actually started learning memory techniques strategically several months ago when I had to cram for a short work-related course that was painfully boring. I keep getting good results from these techniques with relatively little effort.

I did read repeatedly that AS/HFA can often go hand in hand with good rote memory, so perhaps it is related to my autism. But there are also many non-autistic people with good or truly exceptional memory, and not everyone with AS/HFA has a good memory, so I really couldn't say.

I don't think having a good memory has ever hurt me. It does tend to make it easier to notice inconsistencies in the things people tell me over time, but I can't say that that has hurt me.

I don't like doing things I don't like doing, so yes, my mind tends to wonder at such times towards topics I find less dull. But I don't think that this is a characteristic or downside of my memory skills or techniques, just that I'm bored by what I should be doing.

New Threads

Top Bottom