• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you go places independently?

superboyian

Former Co-Owner
V.I.P Member
I've noticed with some people on the spectrum actually don't go independently as I have noticed when I walk into the college and see a group of people coming off the minibus just to get to college and it made me wonder if your the same?

I go places independently everywhere, just in some places, I rather go with somebody.

Anyone else go places independently?

I find it very hard to go out alone. I have to fly alone to England soon and the thought terrifies me. I left there in 1996 and I think it might have changed.

I go places in my own. If I feel like going out for a bit of a wander round the city centre or something, I'll just get my bus pass and go.

I'm going out by myself more than I used to. But with me I think it depends where I'm going and what my feelings associated with that particular place are.

Depends.

If I'm familiar with my surroundings and the environment agrees with me, then I have no trouble going alone. But if the place is new or unfamiliar to me, then I usually feel as if I need someone to go with me.

My fears usually stem from not having a good sense of directon. I've had a good deal of experience getting lost. As a result, I usually start getting panic attacks especially if the place is crowded. In crowds I literally feel like I'm being attacked in a war zone. The noises and people can be too much for me. If I'm with someone, the fears and feelings aren't as intense.

It too depends for me, if I am fully familiar with the area that I am going to then I'm okay with going alone, although I still prefer to have someone with me. However, when it's new and unfamiliar I have to have someone with me. I hope this will change because I can't be and don't want to be too dependant on someone to come out with me.

I can go places by myself if needed. I've went to Belfast by myself once via the train (I live 30 miles away). Usually though I would take my brother with me for company and I prefer not to be by myself. When I'm out for the day with family, I can go off on my own for an hour and do the shops I want then meet back with them afterwards. I would never go to a club, pub, concert or party by myself though.

I'll just get my bus pass and go.

Can I ask how you got a bus pass? I could do with one myself.

I travel places by myself all the time - I am independent and a bit of a loner. Sometimes it is comforting to have company, but often company means that I have to go places I don't want to go, at a pace I don't want to move at. For example, if I am at the zoo and I am with a family member, they probably want to move much faster than I would looking at the animals. I have to spend almost as much energy figuring out where they are going and interacting with them as I do enjoying looking at the animals. Or, if I headed to the mall to buy a belt a friend might want to browse through the rest of the store (I only wanted to get a belt, darnit!! I dislike clothes shopping).

I sound more antisocial than I really am. I like talking to people. But recently I've realized how much energy I spend trying to accommodate them. Being alone is a kind of freedom.

Can I ask how you got a bus pass? I could do with one myself.

I applied for a free one because I am allowed one, since I'm supposed to be disabled or whatever (woot). Then I had to get a doctor's signature to prove it's real because I'm not blind or have 3 heads or anything.
It was pretty easy to get one.

I applied for a free one because I am allowed one, since I'm supposed to be disabled or whatever (woot).

So all I have to do is apply, saying that I have Asperger Syndrome and get a doctors signature? Does this work for train passes to?

i like travelling alone all the time especally travelling interstate its good and enjoyful to explore new places you havent been before when you were growing up when you were a child. some people love travelling as their hobby

Being alone is a kind of freedom.

Same for me. Anytime something gets to be too much for me, also, I go away and hide, and sometimes the best/only way for me to do that has been by wandering. This was a frequent deal for me in adolescence when I hated the surroundings and people I had to deal with at home. Other than that, I only go out with specific plans or necessities as the goal. Like going to get a smoothie or other consumable.

I think that might actually be the case?

Yes, I looked into it and my dad is applying for one. I can't get a pass that entitles me to free train journeys but I can get one that gets me half price. Better than nothing.

Yes I do. Usually I just need someone to drive me there and that is it. :) I do go on buses though by myself, because it easier that way.

The best thing that ever happened for me is having the Google Maps application on my phone. It helps me find out how to get around by bus. I even have bus schedules on my phone as well. :D

The only downside is the next county and their bus schedules. :S

As for Bus passes/cards, it depends on your county or where you live. If your are considered disabled by your county definition of the term disabled, then you might be able to get a monthly bus pass or something. Where I live, you get a bus card for a year or two before you have to go back and renew it. :S We use the Easy Bus card system in my county (note, I live in South Florida... not Northern Florida), and that would be either a plastic card you put cash on or a little paper card that you use once or twice.

Well for those getting bus cards/passes, good luck with that and have a good doctor. ;)

Half of the time, I go places independently. The other half of the time, during the evenings, I go everywhere, with my two closest friends.
:)

I would like to go place by myself most then I do. Most of the time someone is with my, but sometimes I will go shopping somewhere and if my dad is there he sometimes stays in the car(which is a good thing becuase he gets really annoying).

:wacko:One time, a long time ago, I was walking through a strip mall, with an old friend, and a woman who was in my college job training class had the gall to ask my friend, if she was the woman, who helped me, to get around town. I snapped at that woman, and retorted, "I'm a strong and independant person!"

I snapped at that woman, and retorted, "I'm a strong and independant person!"

That's the way! :lol2:

I actually quite enjoy going out by myself. I'm learning to drive now, so I'm looking forward to going out where and when I want to, providing I pass my test of course.

New Threads

Top Bottom